We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Android as remote  (Read 1883 times)

Offline baxy_AU

Android as remote
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:13:53 am »
I am thinking of using a cheap tablet to use as a home controller with Vera. It will be permanently mounted with a constant power supply.
What I want to know is how to set it up so that the screen dims after a minute...but never turns off so that the screen brightens up again when touched
Any ideas how to achieve this functionality?

Offline beachboync

Re: Android as remote
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:14:54 pm »
Not sure if I understand your question. My android phone automatically shuts off its screen when not used after a period of time, and then comes back when touched. It never turns off unless I specifically do that.

What is different in your requirements.
Bob (beachboync)

Offline timmyg

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:30:24 pm »

Hi Baxy,

You could use the Tasker app for Android - bit of a learning curve but well worth it. It gives you very tight control over the behaviour of your device. 

Cheers
Tim

Offline baxy_AU

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:18:55 am »
Not sure if I understand your question. My android phone automatically shuts off its screen when not used after a period of time, and then comes back when touched. It never turns off unless I specifically do that.

My other android devices turn off the screen after a period of time requiring one to press the power button to switch the screen back on

Offline baxy_AU

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:37 am »

Hi Baxy,

You could use the Tasker app for Android - bit of a learning curve but well worth it. It gives you very tight control over the behaviour of your device. 

Cheers
Tim
I was hopeing someone would have a simple solution  ;-)

Offline baxy_AU

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:53:04 am »

What is the model of your phone if you don't mind me asking?

Offline beachboync

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:17:29 pm »
Well, I may have mis-spoke here. My phone is a Galaxy S3 and in fact you do have to press either the power button or the home button to wake. But I think I was thinking of my old HTC which had a soft press on the screen as home. But I don't have it any more to check.
Bob (beachboync)