We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wall mounted information panel showing status?  (Read 18232 times)

Offline n0ir

Wall mounted information panel showing status?
« on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:59 am »
Hi!

I am doing some research before I start my smart home project in our new house.

I  work as a clinical psychologist with cognitive aids for patients with cognitive impairments, and there is a neat product called C.STATUS I would like to replicate in my own Z-Wave installation.

It is a very clear panel which shows the status on different sensors, i.e. if the fridge is closed or if the lamp is on or off. The point is to have it installed by the front door to act as a visual remainder when leaving the home.

http://www.sensagon.se/show/object.asp?lng=en&oid=22

From Sensagons website:

The information can be presented with text in different languages or pictures and is adaptable to different needs. The standard panel has six clear display fields and can manage information from up to 48 sensors. Several segments can be combined in order to give a bigger and even clearer display field.

I would like something similiar, that shows the status of a selection of Z-Wave units in a very clear and easy way. I guess I could do this by buying a Android tablet and mount it on the wall but it seems like overkill... ;)

Sensagons panel is also very expensive ($350-400).

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Wall mounted information panel showing status?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 11:13:15 am »
If you wait a month ... I will have and android APP that tells you the status!

Offline n0ir

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 11:19:08 am »

Sound good RichardTSchaefer (the existing apps could need some competition! ;)), but I was looking for a solution that doesn?t involve a smartphone or tablet.

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 11:52:12 am »
Hello Richard...

I'm happy with your notice ! I will wait to use my Samsung galaxy tab 7".

actually nothing solve my problem like homewave have solved but I have to use apple tablets and no Money for this.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline n0ir

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:19 pm »
I agree, Piwtorak. Homewave is a nice iOS app but I would love an alternative for Android!

I?m leaning towards buying Android tablets for each room in the house and connect them to wall mounted speakers. Then I could have my home speak remainders (with Vera Alerts and Google TTS), play music (from Google Music or even stream from iOS devices with AirBubble) and use them as remote controllers.

Offline BobS

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »
One thing I have noticed about android vs ios tablets and the viability of wall mounting them is that the iPad has its "wake-up" button on the front of the device.  All other tablets have the button the side somewhere.  This means that a wall mounted android tablet would need to provide access to the side of the device in some fashion.

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:06:56 pm »

If you're talking something similar to Homewave for Android I'm gonna be first in line  8)

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 01:30:10 pm »
Maybe intveltr isnthinking launch homewave to android...thought..
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

guest13549

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:20:05 pm »
One thing I have noticed about android vs ios tablets and the viability of wall mounting them is that the iPad has its "wake-up" button on the front of the device.  All other tablets have the button the side somewhere.  This means that a wall mounted android tablet would need to provide access to the side of the device in some fashion.
This is a good point, but I guess you wouldn't want it to to go to sleep for that kind of application - it will need to be always on, otherwise you would not see if/that you had forgotten the iron etc. But IIRC this is possible with androids when plugged. Used to be anyway.

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:58 pm »
Android tab all the way, as @BobS mentioned the trick is figuring out how to mount the tab without any wires showing and still have access to the home/side buttons and still have it charge and allow for portrait or landscape mount (since apps vary) and hopefully still be able to use it as a tablet if you want.

My answer is in the attached pictures...

edit:  my iPad sticks to the wall in the same spot thanks to the steel plate I placed inside it, sadly doesn't charge since Apple doesn't see the value in inductive charging...yet
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:36:51 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:08 pm »
Maybe intveltr isnthinking launch homewave to android...thought..

I would like to if I can find the time!  At the moment I am hard pressed even to supply timely updates for the iOS app, but in 2 or 3 versions things might have stabilized enough to start thinking about Android.  Wall mounted devices is what HomeWave was intended for originally, and these days there are some nice and cheap Android tablets out there.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 11:39:09 pm »
I understand Intveltr...

Think in create a parameter to homewave stay active for use like controller. We will can set this parameter if we use the ipad or another apple device like wall controller, then homewave do not close your screen... And no more need to activate ipad and slide the bar.

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 06:35:35 am »
HomeWave already has that parameter: when enabled, the iPhone/iPad will never go to sleep while the app runs and the device is on a charger.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

guest13549

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 06:40:22 am »
I guess the coolest solution would be for vera to 'wake' any screen where there's movement. (From z-wave sensors etc)

Offline rdotten

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 10:57:01 am »

Richard,
Will the app be able to run on a generic 2.3 tablet? If  so, it would be great to give it a try in the android player on my Playbook. I'd be happy to help test on that device if you need a hand.

Cheers,
Rob