We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Alternative to SQ Remote for AV control  (Read 2669 times)

Offline rtaxerxes

Alternative to SQ Remote for AV control
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:22:15 am »
Hi,

So now that SquareConnect has kicked the bucket, I can't even load my config on my new phone, what remote control apps allow for AV control?

I have set up macros on SQremote to Switch on all AV and change to the correct source etc, and would like to be able to do that again. I also had a Plex control panel, and an All Off macro. It seems most remote apps only deal with lights and locks etc, but not AV. Any ideas?

Extra bonus would be an app the tied in with the Pebble Smartwatch.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Alternative to SQ Remote for AV control
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:32:23 am »
SQ Connect posted on their Facebook page today...

https://facebook.com/profile.php?id=162331200449057

box API issue: Box.com have changed their API. We are working on a solution and will update this page when it is available. Many apologies for the inconvenience.

Offline rtaxerxes

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:46:59 am »
Would still like other options. SQremote only works in landscape mode and hasn't been updated for bigger iOS devices such as the iPhone 5 that was released over 2 years ago.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:06:44 pm »
The alternatives are wide and varied including both interfaced  with Vera or stand alone:

Global Cache device family, itach, itach flex or GC100 series, can be added and used in conjunction with your Vera, scenes set for your macros which then provides the ability to combine with your Pebble. Or stand alone apps such as irule can also be configured to control both the AV and interface with your Vera.

There is plenty of alternatives offered on the forum, and therefore, a little reading of the AV threads should highlight some of your opportunities for alternative solutions. example see:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,25585.0.html
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:13:35 pm by Brientim »

Offline rtaxerxes

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:34:08 pm »
I've tried quite a lot of the alternatives. The main question is AV control as that doesn't seem to be AV options on Simplewave, VeraMate, iViri or the MicasaVerde apps or even the web interface. I am using the GlobalCache GC-100. One problem is for instance I have set up a Sony TV device. But Sony products need repeated IR commands to switch on. And creating the scenes to do that doesn't seem to work as well as SQremote where you can choose the delay between repeats and how many to repeat.

I've also created a Plex device to control Plex, it comes up as an IR device, but there is no way of controlling it via Vera's web interface.

I see Control Cube has AV, but it has to be purchased before one can try it. Hence my questions...

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »
I originally used Vera with GC, and had no issues with Sony tv.  However, not all Sony are the same and it has come up before. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=15783.0

I actually do not use Vera for AV control and moved to irule a number of years ago. It is more expensive option but highly configurable. But it does not provide some of the simplicity that Sq remote offers with Vera integration without an additional cost.

The other app mention only use AV control via what you configure via your Vera, ie a screen. Looking at control Cube, it has add. Knx device.

Offline bucko

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:44:47 pm »
Get iRule and iTach controller. I use On Controls (iRule professional). I retired my SQ for this setu. It just works- ALL THE TIME. No crashes at all. I switched several months ago and loving it.

It does everything SQ did plus a LOT more.

Vera 3, 40+ Fibaro relays & dimmers, IPUX cams, Elk M1 Gold, M1XEP, M1SP, XVOR, M1RB, Elk124, Monoprice HDMI matrix & 6 zone amp, Denon AVR, Panasonic A8000, BI DV,On Controls

Offline tjoyce

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:03:49 pm »
I second the iRule and iTach setup, has worked very well over the last year and has many features.