We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wall mounted information panel showing status?  (Read 18233 times)

guest13871

Re: Wall mounted information panel showing status?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:45 am »
Question is... how many of you are REALLY interested to buy one? I will have to check further into the cost, but first I need to know is it worth my time & expense to travel to Shenzhen and get these units to ship to you guys.

What do you all think??

Depending in the price you could get I would be in for 1 or 2.

Offline akashk

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 09:56:57 am »
Android tab all the way, as @BobS mentioned the trick is figuring out how to mount the tab without any wires showing and still have access to the home/side buttons and still have it charge and allow for portrait or landscape mount (since apps vary) and hopefully still be able to use it as a tablet if you want.

My answer is in the attached pictures...

edit:  my iPad sticks to the wall in the same spot thanks to the steel plate I placed inside it, sadly doesn't charge since Apple doesn't see the value in inductive charging...yet

@shady
This looks awesome!! I have a couple of touchpads lying idle at home that could use some time on the wall. How did you mount it so cleanly on the wall? Seems like an inductive charger behind the wall (which I happen to have lying around as well). Also, what is that UI on the screen - android themed with windows? Please do tell!!

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 07:22:40 pm »
@akashk

Thank you for noticing, I think it is pretty awesome too.  No solution is completely ideal when it comes to adding touchscreens to your walls, even expensive Crestron solutions aren't the best looking and are quickly deemed obsolete.  I really like how my solution looks whether on or off of the dock, and I'm not giving up the handheld use of a $200 tablet.  I had been struggling with the best way to stick an iPod Touch in the wall and then looked into expensive and often not attractive iPad wall docks, but nothing gave me everything I wanted.  Then came the Touchpad Fire Sale which had me up for 24 hours trying to grab as many as I could and I once I held one I couldn't believe this thing was being scrapped by HP when it had built-in inductive charging.  Why every device doesn't have this feature I will never know, since charging ports get loose and dirty fairly easily.

I have a full pictured tutorial I have been sitting on for about a year partly because I have been so busy and partly because I wanted to make sure it didn't start a fire before showing the world.  I can say it has been great, charges just as it should, and overall I am very happy (so is the wife) with how it looks and works.  I think you'll be surprised at how well the Touchstone Dock works in this manner and how easy the install can be (if you are handy).  I have set up a website to display the slideshow tutorial, but I am waiting for the DNS changes to stick (can take up to 24hrs).  So as soon as it goes live, I will post a link in a new thread, linking here to that thread.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »
I bought expensive iport charge for ipad to put in my wall
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline shady

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:22:22 pm by shady »
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 09:24:51 pm »
Kindle runs what ?
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline akashk

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 07:50:15 am »
@shady,
Lol, I have a few touchpads from the fire sale myself  ;D. I did manage to port Android ICS over to it as well. Just have not been able to find the right mount for it yet. My latest thought was to screw the HP cover with the inductive charger behind it on the wall, but your setup looks much more professional. Will wait for your tutorial/pictures.

Offline cubs2b23

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 09:54:42 am »
Question is... how many of you are REALLY interested to buy one? I will have to check further into the cost, but first I need to know is it worth my time & expense to travel to Shenzhen and get these units to ship to you guys.

What do you all think??

Depending in the price you could get I would be in for 1 or 2.

I would be in for a couple as well at the right price.

Offline Mynameisjim

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 01:06:40 pm »
I would also probably buy two if the price came down from $199.

Offline WhiteBeard

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 01:58:30 pm »
I received a quote for 1 sample from one of the vendors on China - the white 9" unit is about $140 (US) or $143 for POE.  Black 7" display is $117, $125 for POE.  I'm not sure if one has to commit to a larger purchase when ordering a sample?

Offline shady

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 03:22:38 pm »
@WhiteBeard thank you for doing the legwork.  I imagine they will sell you small quantities if they gave you pricing, maybe we should group together our purchases by locale.

For anyone who is interested, I posted my link to my HP Touchpad in-wall dock here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,14359.0.html

Offline Mynameisjim

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »
I'd commit to two with POE at those prices, though I'd need white. Is the 7" available in white?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:18:35 pm by Mynameisjim »

Offline dferrey

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 05:31:52 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is POE?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 05:36:59 pm »
Power over ethernet ... So you do not have to have a local power adapter.

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 12:47:53 pm »
I'd probably be down for one.  Depending on how well I could integrate it with my Vera