We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Delay using Evolve LTM-5 as a scene controller  (Read 1978 times)

Offline xeinth

Delay using Evolve LTM-5 as a scene controller
« on: March 28, 2013, 02:47:36 pm »
As I have been upgrading my switches, in cases where I had a three way switch I generally have been replacing them with LTM-5's which I used as a scene controller.  In UI5, I've used them as a trigger for a scene, which obviously then turns on multiple lights.

I'm seeing about a 10 second delay, which I originally assumed was the lack of 'instant status', but under closer inspection its behaving a bit differently than that.  Namely, some lights come on instantly (or within a second), and other lights come on maybe 10 seconds later.  Its always the same order.  Even more strange, if I turn a scene off and on a couple of times the delay shrinks to zero.

On top of this, if I trigger the scene from UI5 or my Iphone, there is no delay.

So whats confusing me is that it doesn't seem to be a network reliability issue as its 100% coming from my iPhone or the web interface.  On top of this, some of the lights are instant (or close to), so its not like there is a delay in the Vera getting the trigger.

Thoughts on how I might get everything to come on all at once?  Can anyone tell me if somehow the Vera transfers the controlled lights to the LTM-5 which then sends out the messages explaining the differences in the delay, or if the LTM-5 doesnt directly control the lights and just triggers vera?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Delay using Evolve LTM-5 as a scene controller
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 10:17:32 am »
I've seen similar sporadic delay issues with a Leviton scene controller.

I've also got a scheduled scene with multiple lights. Sometimes when the scene is activated all lights respond immediately. The next day, and for days after, when the scene is activated most lights come on instantly, but one is delayed by 30 seconds.

I've never been able to figure out the precise cause, nor a fix. It is my suspicion that it has something to do with routing and the routes changing when the nightly network heal occurs. But, that doesn't explain why a delay between the scene controller and the devices reduces or disappears when repeatedly activating the scene controller.

Offline xeinth

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »
What I find strange is that the lights always engage in the same order, and it doesnt seem to be a routing problem as all the lights are within 30 feet of one another, some in the same Jbox, yet the seem to turn on in two groups.

Its almost like the trigger hits vera instantly, but in this scenario vera throttles sending the commands out so that they are released in a few groups at a time.

Still doesnt explain why it doesnt delay from the GUI.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »
Still doesnt explain why it doesnt delay from the GUI.

This would certainly point the finger at Vera as the culprit

Offline xeinth

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:24:01 pm »
Z-Waver,

Could you look at your scene thats having the same issue and look at the advanced tab?

I noticed that my lights are coming on based on the order in that display.  So it seems Vera is throttling them.  Whats odd is the first light comes on, there is the long 10 second delay, and then pretty much all of them come up at the same time.  Somewhat weird, as I could see this happening if you had to turn on 10 lights, but here I am seeing the same issue with 4 lights vs. say 8.

bk

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:58:06 pm »
With my scheduled scene, all the lights trigger at once, except the last one on the list which is delayed by up to 30 seconds.

With the scene controller scene, there are only two devices, the light/outlet and the scene controller switched load. The outlet is last on the list, but the delayed device varies.

Offline gengen

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:25 am »
Have you looked closely at the LuaUPNP.log? Is Vera handling the scenes or is the LTM-5 directly associated with some of them? Have you tried turning off polling on associated devices and see if this makes things better or worse? Have you tried to heal your network? My guess is that there may be a storm of packets flying around your network and some of them are colliding and thus causing delays.

Here is an interesting URL which you might find useful to dump the log without having to ssh to vera. Reading this mess is a different story.

http://<VeraIP>/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP