We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Setup, intermittent dropouts  (Read 5966 times)

Offline whoamib

Re: Re: Plugin for Caddx/GE/Networx NX-584/NX-8E security system
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:28 pm »
I'm not sure this will help but I also get this log on my zone 7 which is my only motion sensor that I have in the house.  The reason I have found this happens is because I set the system to stay instead of arm. 

You may already know this but when the stay option is used then all motion sensors are disabled which causes the Tamper (Zone 7 Partition 1) because the system is arming but bypassing the motion sensor after arming.  I have found that after the disarming of a stay state it arms all of the zones which is when this Tamper log appears.  I don't think this is caused by bad cables in my environment.

If you have all zones Armed then you Arm the system and disarm it, you shouldn't see the Tamper log.

Hope this helps....

Offline TaterTot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
I just switched extension cables, so I no longer have the 15' Serial cable. Now I only have a 6' Serial cable. Here is the cable I ordered... Totally different brand from the original cable that was giving me issues...

However, now I am getting some "Failed to setup Interface" errors from the plugin...

Attached to this post is my log... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Nevermind... I did not realize this new cable was a "null modem cable" (my original one was not)  :P
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:41:21 pm by TaterTot »

Offline TaterTot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:13:59 am »
Ok, the new cable did not fix my issue... I have another "USB to Serial" cable headed my way, but I will not have it for a few days...

I still have the issue with "Zone 6" not showing the correct "Bypass"/"Armed" status...

When Vera loads it shows that zone as bypassed (but it is not) and after several attempts to "Arm" the zone I get an error in the log...

See Attached log...

ETA: Ok, I have no idea what is going on... I have went through and rebooted the Vera a couple of times (just messing around with stuff) and now everything seems to work... the whole "Bypass" and "Arm" thing works every time... even with Zone 6... not sure if this is just temporary or a fluke or what... ???
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:41:31 am by TaterTot »

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 12:58:41 am »
Tatertot, the panel swears blind that Zone 6 is bypassed. First there's a Zone Status message, just for Zone 6, that has a 1 at bit 3 of byte 7 of the message, and then for good measure there's a Zone Snapshot message for zones 1 to 8, and again it has bit 5 of byte 5 on, which again corresponds to the bypass state of Zone 6.  And that's what the plugin has reported, in one of its moments of lucidity.

After happily accepting the Toggle Bypass Zone command, the panel then reports the zone as still bypassed. It's like it's disobeying you. Or at least ignoring you.

So. There is something special about your Zone 6. I've no idea what. It might be its configuration, the zone type in the programming. If you want to help me get to the bottom of it, here is an experiment you can try: use the alarm keypad to bypass then unbypass the zone. No need to arm the partition. Watch what happens on the Vera dashboard.

It's also reporting that you have Chime mode on. Which I'm sure you'd know about.

Yes, there are still dropouts. How certain are you that there is a good electrical connection at the 2x5 plug on the alarm PCB? Someone here in the past had a DIY job that wasn't shielded enough, and there was all manner of interference.

Offline TaterTot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 01:11:13 am »
This is very weird, but for the moment everything seems to be working perfectly... (I have not changed anything except for rebooting the unit a couple of times)

I just tried your keypad "bypass" test and the Vera picked up the changes with no issue whatsoever (bypass and arm) and I am even able to arm and bypass the zone from the Vera with no issues. And when I just "reloaded" the unit, it comes back on with Zone 6 in the correct (armed) state.

My zone 6 is just some plain window sensors (identical to my zone 5) even though the plugin just sees them as door sensors - why is that btw?

Yeah, my chime is on 8)

How do you know there are still dropouts? Also, I will check all the connections on my alarm board. However, right now I am doing fine -- just not sure how long it will last. ::)

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 03:08:19 am »
This is very weird, but for the moment everything seems to be working perfectly...

Don't. Breathe.

the plugin just sees them as door sensors - why is that btw?

Vera can't distinguish between door and window sensors; there is only one device type for both.  (To be fair, the alarm panel doesn't make a distinction either.  They are both programmed as normally-closed switches.)

How do you know there are still dropouts?

In the log, the telltale messages are:
  • Received good message 0x1e means that a message got garbled from Vera to alarm.  The message is the alarm's way of telling Vera that a message was truncated.
  • ReturnMessageNotReceived means that either a message was sent from Vera to alarm, but was totally lost without trace, or that a message was successfully sent from Vera to alarm, but the response was likewise totally lost.

Offline TaterTot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25:38 pm »
I just thought I would let you know that I have been going for about 6 months with no issues -- this plugin is awesome.

However, I do have a question that is somewhat related to something I mentioned earlier in this thread...

Yeah I installed it from code.mios.com (just following the instructions from the first post). Is there another (or easier) way I should have installed it?

If you are on UI5 then you can install it through the Apps tab, which connects to the MiOS App store at apps.mios.com.

I was wanting to "install" this app using the "Apps" tab, that way I can receive future update without having to check back here every couple of months. Is there any way I can do that without having to change all my settings over again or without disrupting my existing setup?

I am afraid to just give it a try and see what happens, because I would hate to have to go back through and set everything back up. Any ideas?  ???

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: Setup, intermittent dropouts
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 10:46:23 pm »
I was wanting to "install" this app using the "Apps" tab, that way I can receive future update without having to check back here every couple of months. Is there any way I can do that without having to change all my settings over again or without disrupting my existing setup?

I'm mobile so this answer will be brief. If you install from the App Store then it will overwrite the plugin files with the latest versions, but it won't mess with your settings. At worst it will create a second top-level device which you should delete.

This plugin doesn't update automatically (that would be bad) but you can make the plugin update manually with a special URL in your web browser.