We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Setup: NX-10  (Read 6233 times)

Offline alexk

Setup: NX-10
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:34:22 am »
Hello - thanks for all the info on the 584/pluggin!

I have an NX10 system and am about to install a 584 card (anyone know if they work together?) in order to integrate with a soon to arrive Ivera Light.

Does anyone know if they work together? the nx10 and ivera i mean.

thanks!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:53:05 am by futzle »

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: Re: Plugin for Caddx/GE/Networx NX-584/NX-8E security system
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:12:51 am »
Hi alexk,

I've never heard of an NX10 before. All bets are off; it might be a new model, or an old model under a different name, or it might be a coincidentally-similar-sounding-but-totally-different panel.

Offline alexk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:24:09 am »
Hi Futzle.

the NX10 is basically a bigger daddy to the NX8.  it is mostly available in Europe as far as i can see.  I have an NX8 system also lying around (got it at my rented house) but the nx10 system is at my dads.  I put in the 584 card and will try out the vera lite.  in principle there shouldnt be any differences since the protocols remain the same.  we will see.

anything i should keep in mind?

thakns

Alex

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:04:24 am »
the NX10 is basically a bigger daddy to the NX8.  [...]  in principle there shouldnt be any differences since the protocols remain the same.  we will see.

Thanks for the info. Let us know how it goes.

Offline alexk

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:06:17 am »
will do.

you mention in the instructions that specific commands need enabling on the 584 correct?  does this mean that they are disabled by default?

Alex

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:58 pm »
you mention in the instructions that specific commands need enabling on the 584 correct?  does this mean that they are disabled by default?

Honestly, I don't remember what the defaults were.  All I know is what they need to be.

Offline alexk

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:14:51 am »
they are all enabled on my NX-584 just for reference.

Alex

Offline alexk

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:33:43 am »
so great news.

Got the Ivera UI5 talking to the NX-584 which is wired to my NX-10 GSM Caddx.

things i will have to do is check if the baud rate (9600 on serial) is actually the setting on the 584 to see if it is working correctly.

things i have noticed

Automatic Zone discovery doesnt work - but i can do that manually so no worries
IVera for Iphone doesnt recognize the devices.

Questions to anyone who has experience.

I can seem to arm any of the partitions.  do i need to put the pin in somewhere?
I can only seem to arm partition 1.  partition 2 and 3 i can't
Do i need to use any arming options?  what is the arming options box for?
if i wanted to arm a partition 1 while bypassing zone 1 how would i do that?
how can i tell the ivera to turn all lights on in the case of an alarm on any partition?

thanks

Alex

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:42:25 am by alexk »

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:25:01 am »
Alex, as the developer of the Caddx plugin, I have a pretty minimalist system. Consequently I haven't tested elaborate situations like multiple partitions, or zone names. I rely on reports from users such as you.

Zone detection should work, on the "Zones" tab if you type a number in the Maximum Zone box and press Scan. If you have done this and not got the expected results, I'd like to know what *did* happen.

Users are authorized (or not) on a per-partition basis. If you are entering a PIN for user 3, and user 3 isn't authorized to arm Partition 2, then Partition 2 won't arm.

Arming without a PIN is called "quick arm" and it should be equivalent to pressing the Away button on a keypad. But on my unit I have to press Quick Stay in order to arm. This is apparently just one of the many cases where different Caddx panels have different, conflicting, behaviours. Since the whole plugin is based on one leaked interface document without any assistance from the manufacturer, it's very hard to know how many variants I haven't catered for yet. Yours might be one of them.

Bypassing is done prior to arming. Put each zone in the appropriate state by pressing Arm or Bypass on each zone. Then arm.

If you want to help me to debug these problems, you will need to be able to capture the Luup log (with a sacrificial PIN to avoid giving away your real PIN) while performing various actions. See earlier in the thread for plenty of prior examples.

Offline alexk

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:46:22 am »
be happy to debug and send you info on a one 2 one basis. just let me know what test scenarios you would like me try first.  we can then post the results in the forum for people to learn from. ( i will read through all the forum in the meantime.)

i am attaching a screenshot of my interface to give you an idea of what is going on.
also let me know what you would like in terms of screenshots from the various partitions etc.

where is the entry for the pin by the way?
+
how can i create a trigger incase of alarm?

A

« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 07:47:53 am by alexk »

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »
be happy to debug and send you info on a one 2 one basis. just let me know what test scenarios you would like me try first.

Begin with plugin startup.  Enable "Debug to Luup log" on the panel Configure tab, then save.  Catch the Luup log as the Luup engine restarts.  I don't expect anything to be wrong here but it establishes a baseline.

where is the entry for the pin by the way?

Only on the partition's first tab ("Alarm Partition").  Type the PIN into the box then click Arm, Stay or Disarm.

(For an explanation of why the PIN entry box isn't available on the main dashboard, read back in the thread.)

how can i create a trigger incase of alarm?

Use the "Alarm Active" > "Alarm is active (in breach)" event in a scene's trigger.

Offline alexk

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:09 am »

Begin with plugin startup.  Enable "Debug to Luup log" on the panel Configure tab, then save.  Catch the Luup log as the Luup engine restarts.  I don't expect anything to be wrong here but it establishes a baseline.

i am clear on enabling the debug.  what does the catch the luup log at engine restart mean? how do i do that? 

Question: does the reload basically restart the luup engine?
Once the log is registered.  how do i retrieve it? command line? how?

Further Qs
1. Is Baud rate of 38400 better than 9600? (as in faster comms?)

2. My alarm has a LCD keyboard so all the options on the nx-584 can be set though a menu and i think i have managed to enable the messages and commands you have indicated.  When i enable keyboard 1 then the system goes bananas, i.e. although the plugin lets me arm and disarm using a pin - I can disable the alarm from the LCD keyboard and it also messes up the GSM module i have (SMS control of the alarm). any ideas there?

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:18 am »
what does the catch the luup log at engine restart mean? how do i do that?

SSH to the Vera command line and run: tail -f /var/log/cmh/LuaUPnP.log

Press ctrl-C to stop.

Some SSH clients will let you capture the session to a file, which will make it easier to send it to me. Otherwise it's copy-and-paste.

1. Is Baud rate of 38400 better than 9600? (as in faster comms?)

It's faster, but only better if your line quality allows faster transmission.  These panels are designed to send the serial signal over along distance, maybe even a phone line, where you might not get 38400 bps.  Personally, if 9600 bps works, I'd leave it. The protocol isn't heavy on bandwidth; you'd barely notice.

2. My alarm has a LCD keyboard so all the options on the nx-584 can be set though a menu and i think i have managed to enable the messages and commands you have indicated.  When i enable keyboard 1 then the system goes bananas, i.e. although the plugin lets me arm and disarm using a pin - I can disable the alarm from the LCD keyboard and it also messes up the GSM module i have (SMS control of the alarm). any ideas there?

You've got two pieces of hardware that I've never seen: the NX-10 and the GSM module. Already you are encountering behavior that I can't explain. I'm afraid that you will have to drive the debugging from your end. Capture communication logs from scenarios that work, and from scenarios that misbehave. Disconnect the GSM module and see if those scenarios start behaving. Be scientific about it and change only one variable at a time.

Offline alexk

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 06:25:33 am »
thanks for taking the time.

Will be scientific and get back to you with logs.

thanks mate

alex

Offline alexk

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 01:44:17 pm »
so here is a good log example.

Baud rate set at 9600

I am having some cases where when i press reload the luup engine hangs for the app.  in this log i didnt have the prob.

At the end of the log I armed the device (quick arm/no pin)
Disarm however didnt work (i think it is something i havent activated)

any comments on the log?

thanks again

Alex
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:29:25 pm by alexk »