We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: UI5 information  (Read 799 times)

Offline futzle

• Master Member
UI5 information
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »
Just a heads up about UI5...

There's a wild unsubstantiated rumour that Vera2 on UI5 won't recognize the Aeon Labs USB Z-Wave dongle. Until it is quashed, I won't be upgrading my unit, so I won't be able to do my own development or debugging of this plugin under UI5.

I've just updated my Vera2 to UI5 so I will now be able to test the plugin and improve it for UI5.  It seems to "work" as-is, but the dashboard is missing any useful information and I haven't checked whether scenes still work.

I recommend that if alarm system integration is critical for you, don't upgrade yet.

Vera3 comes preinstalled with UI5, so you guys might be out of luck until I know what my upgrade options are.   Vera3 people may have to hold on for a bit longer.

(Edit: UI5 on Vera2 does still work with external USB Z-Wave dongle)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 07:09:13 pm by futzle »

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: UI5 information
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:25:01 am »
UI5 screenshots attached here.

It doesn't look like you can put text boxes on the dashboard, so there's nowhere for you to type a PIN.  Since this is the only way you can designate scene actions in UI5, you won't be able to make scenes on the partition that use hardcoded PINs to arm or disarm, and you won't be able to make scenes on the panel that set a user's PIN.

I've also had to bring the probably-unused Police/Medical/Fire panic buttons onto the dashboard, on the off chance that someone, somewhere, wants to incorporate them into some piece of automation.  For the rest of us, it's just clutter (sorry).  EDIT: I'm very tempted to move these off the dashboard and force those who automate panic buttons to use the Advanced scene editor.  It would be good to hear what actual users think of this.

This revision (@60) has no new functionality over the latest UI4 version, so it's probably only useful for people who are on UI5.  I haven't broken anything in UI4 (that I know of, but as I'm without a UI4 device now I can't prove that).

As always, to install this version, get the files from SVN with the link on the first page.  I've no idea what the version on the MiOS marketplace is like; I didn't make it.  UI5 probably wants to compress the *.lua file, which breaks compatibility with UI4, so you probably have to transfer it straight to /etc/cmh-ludl using scp.  Once there's a universal way of doing Lua files that works on UI4 and UI5 I will update the plugin.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 08:45:26 pm by futzle »

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:07:35 am »
@futzle,
I noticed that I lost a bunch of my Dashboard during the "UI4 UI5 Upgrade as well, esp the Arming options (and the field, as you noted). 

That's a fairly big regression as far as I can tell, do you have any sort of tracking bug?   

It also seems a little odd that we have to shoehorn this stuff onto the [small] Dashboard display just so it can participate in Scenes, really odd...

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »
do you have any sort of tracking bug?   

Nnnno, not yet. I was kind of waiting for some of the bigger UI4/5 cross-platform stuff to settle (the biggest of which is Lua file loading IMO) before raising these cosmetic things with MCV.