We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Log mismatch with DL900 software  (Read 4216 times)

Offline srberard

Log mismatch with DL900 software
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:37:38 am »
So I've managed to install and configure the plugin (latest from SVN). I'm able to communicate with my panel.  I've successfully scanned and found my zones.  Etc.

However I'm not able to arm/disarm the panel from via the plugin.  If I press "Arm" w/o entering a code (e.g. from the dashboard) my keypad beeps.  If I enter my code and press "Arm" nothing happens.

Any ideas as to how to fix/troubleshoot this?

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: Log mismatch with DL900 software
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:21:29 am »
So there's two issues here and there's not much in common between them so I'll cover them separately.

With a PIN you are doing a "normal" arm. This needs to be enabled in the panel's interface ("Primary keypad function with PIN"). To confirm that this is on, go to the Configuration tab and make sure the the matching checkbox is on. If this checkbox is off then the plugin won't even try to do an arm. If the checkbox is on then I'm going to need to get you to delve into the Luup log and capture the serial communication that goes on when you type a (sacrificial) PIN. Don't post logs that you took while using your real PIN.

With no PIN you are doing a Quick Arm, ostensibly the same as pressing the Exit button on the keypad. This needs "Secondary keypad function" so makes sure that checkbox is on.

There's one additional wrinkle with Quick Arm: the documented commands for Secondary Keypad Function don't match what happen on my panel. I have to press Stay on my panel to get the effect of Arm (and I have no way of doing an actual quick stay). Maybe your panel is one of these too? Again, if you can capture a Luup log then I will know if the problem is on the side of the panel or the plugin.

Some background information would be helpful: what is your geographic location? Country is near enough. What model panel do you have? What version of Vera OS are you on?

Offline srberard

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:41 am »
Ok, I've made some good progress.  First off, there were directions posted earlier in this thread for how to setup the NX-8e with the plugin.  Turns out this works differently on my system.  I have a NX-8 V2 with the NX-584e home automation board. I was able to get things working properly by programming the corresponding settings from the NX-8e into my panel (device #72, locations 1, 2, 3). The instruction manual for the NX-584e has the programming tables (I can post the programming key sequence if folks find that useful).  I'm running the latest version from the SVN drop.

So now I'm able to get communication and arm/disarm working mostly. But I've run into two other small snags:

First, when I arm the system from the panel and exit the house everything seems to be working properly.  However, if I log into the Mios I see exit errors in the log. From what I can tell my panel is not reporting any errors.  Here's a snippet of what I'm seeing:
8-Feb   21:02   Exit error (User 3 Partition 1)
8-Feb   18:31   First to open (User 1 Partition 1)
8-Feb   18:22   Closing (User 2 Partition 1)
8-Feb   15:41   First to open (User 1 Partition 1)
8-Feb   10:27   First to open (User 1 Partition 1)
8-Feb   9:38   Exit error (User 2 Partition 1)
8-Feb   9:36   Closing (User 2 Partition 1)
8-Feb   9:35   Exit error (User 2 Partition 1)

Here you can see this happening twice.  First I armed the system at 9:35am and I returned and disarmed the system at 18:22 (both from the keypad).  I'm not sure what the "First to open" messages are here either.  I rearmed the system (via keypad) when I left again at 21:02 and again I saw the "Exit Error" message.  I'm not sure if these are real errors or if the plugin is incorrectly reporting the error details (this may be another delta between the NX-8e and the NX-8 V2 / NX-584e setups.

The second issue I'm seeing is when I try to arm the system via the plugin.  When I do this I enter my code and press "Arm".  I see the status change to "ExitDelay" and shortly after I see the status change to "Stay".  I'm not sure why its armed in Stay mode vs. the standard arming. I've confirmed by looking at the individual sensor states and the motion sensors are indeed not armed.  I've also tried arming in "Stay" mode to see if this changes anything (figuring that the two buttons may have been transposed in the UI).  That had the same expected effect (which is the correct behavior for "Stay" arming).  Arming directly from the panel does perfectly and the status shows up correctly in the plugin UI.

I'm happy to do testing and troubleshooting.  Just let me know what I need to setup and send over.  I'm happy to help out here.

Cheers

PS:  To answer your other questions.  I'm in Seattle (US).  My system is running latest MIOS version: 1.5.254 .

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:27:39 pm »
Hi srberard,

Please do share any setup steps that you had to do. If the instructions didn't work for you first time then they are deficient and need to be fixed.  There are so many different configurations of this panel that almost every new user uncovers a new scenario.

I've absolutely no idea what an "Exit error" is. Most of the event log messages have no description or explanation, and this is one of them.  I don't get this in my event log, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.  Instead I get "PIN entered with bit 7 set", which seems equally incongruous. If the event log code differs across releases of the panel then I am at a loss.

Now... why your panel interprets Arm as Stay: here are some things to try.

Turn on debugging for the plugin in the Configuration tab.  Visit the Luup log over SSH.  Watch the log as you arm via the plugin.  The outgoing message you are looking for is 0x3C Primary Keypad Function with PIN 6 Bytes. Skip the next three bytes; they are your PIN.  The byte after that is 0x02 for Arm, 0x03 for Stay, 0x01 for Disarm.  See if that's what you get.

If it turns out that the bytes are right but don't do what's claimed, you may have to find out what byte is right for you.  The line of code in L_CaddxNX584Security.lua is 1804:
Code: [Select]
local command = {
    Armed = "\002",
    Stay = "\003",
    Disarmed = "\001"
}
Maybe a different value than 2 works for you.

Sorry that I don't have any better answers. Each person tends to have only one of these panels (funny about that) so it's hard to do this scientifically and change one variable at a time.

Offline srberard

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »
Thanks, this helps.  I'll give your debug steps a try in a few days and reply back.  I'll also type up the programming instructions so you can add them to the wiki/docs/etc.

In reading about the "Exit Error" message, according to the install manual (link: http://download.homesecuritystore.com/downloadmanual.aspx?FileName=NX-8_Install.pdf) the exit error indicates the following (see page 6):
Exit Error - If enabled, the NX-8 will send an "Exit Error Report" if an entry/exit zone is faulted at the instant the exit
delay expires.  This report will be sent along with the user number that armed the system, if the panel is not disarmed
before the entry delay expires.  The alarm report will also be sent.  Even if this feature is not enabled, the siren will
sound if any entry/exit zone is faulted at the instant the exit delay expires.

According to the above, if this happens I should hear the siren when the exit delay expires (which I don't).  So I think I'm seeing an incorrect event message or the event codes are being misinterpreted by the plugin.  Given what you said about the various configurations of this panel, perhaps my panel works a bit differently than what the plugin expects.  I'm happy to help out and test things as needed.

Cheers,
Steve

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:26:46 am »
That raises an interesting possibility to test what the log message is really trying to say.  Go program Location 23, Segment 3, and turn off the bit that reports Exit Error.  Then see if the event log includes that message any more.  Then do the same with the other bits.  It should be possible to narrow down the actual meaning of the entry in the event log.

Offline drew

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:53:56 am »
The exit error occurs if an alarm happens within a (I believe) 5 minute period of time after the arming of the system. That is the only time the system will log an exit error. Typically when a customer is testing a system for alarm right after the delay time expires is when you will see it.

There is a possibility that the alarm has an unvacated premises feature turned on in programming that will automatically revert to the stay mode if an entry delay door is not opened during the arming period for the exit mode.

The unvacated premises setting is a false alarm prevention Mode that prevents someone from arming the system in the exit mode and not leaving and accidentally setting off the alarm with a motion detector.
Vera 2 ui5,SQ remote app, Schlage lever lock, WDTC-20, (2)HA-14WD, (6)HA-06WD, (3) Ge 45609, (2) Ge 45606, (1) Ge 45613, Zrf113, Caddx Nx-8v2 W/Nx-584mod, usbg-4ftdi usb-to-(4)db9 adaptor

Offline srberard

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
Ok, I figured a few things out here.  First, as drew pointed out there is an option in the panel to arm in "stay" mode if a door is not opened during the exit delay.  This is on by default on my panel.  Turning this off fixed that issue.

Now for the exit delay problem, I'm still trying to figure that out.  I stays in the house and arms the system.  After the exit delay the panel arms.  About 3-4 seconds after the keypad sounds once.  In the event log I then see the Exit Error message.  I tried disabling the exit error feature but I got th same result.  So it leads me to believe that the plugin is misinterpreting the event.  Could this correspond to an armed confirmation or similar event message?  Is there an easy way for me to trace or troubleshoot this for you?

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:37 am »
Hi Steve,

Great news on the stay-arm feature. I had no idea that that was even a feature (perhaps it isn't on the NX-4 that I have).

As for the Exit Error message: it's going to be very hard to identify what it "really" means (and, by the way, shame on Caddx for re-using log codes to mean different things on different panels, or perhaps even different firmwares of the same panels). I've only got the one– probably illicit–reference pdf, and it's apparently wrong on your panel, and probably also wrong on mine.

Did you manage to make the event not go into the log by disabling a different bit? It might help to narrow down the event's real meaning, at least among a class of event types.

Edit: for my part, I get no log event after Closing until I disarm the system, but it's possible that I disabled log event messages, so perhaps I'm not getting the entire picture either. I'll have a poke around the settings entire weekend and make sure that everything is enabled so that we are comparing like with like.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:09:56 am by futzle »

Offline srberard

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:19 am »
Ok, I've managed to do a bit more investigation on the events.  Rather than play with configuration bits, I loaded the DL900 software and read the event log.  Here are the two log files:

Panel event log (from DL900 software)
Feb  15,2012   8:03:00 PM   1   *  Opening User 2
Feb  15,2012   2:18:00 PM   1   *  Closing User 3
Feb  15,2012   1:44:00 PM   1   *  Opening User 3
Feb  15,2012   9:02:00 AM   1   *  Closing User 3
Feb  14,2012   11:24:00 PM   1   *  Opening User 2
Feb  14,2012   11:23:00 PM   1   *  Closing User 2
Feb  14,2012   11:12:00 PM   System   *  Clock set
Feb  14,2012   10:56:00 PM   System   *  Clock set
Feb  14,2012   10:02:00 PM   System   *  Enrolled device Device 192
Feb  14,2012   10:02:00 PM   System   *  Enrolled device Device 72

Plug-in Event Log
2-15   20:03   Closing (User 2 Partition 1)
2-15   14:18   Exit error (User 3 Partition 1)
2-15   13:44   Closing (User 3 Partition 1)
2-15   9:02           Exit error (User 3 Partition 1)
2-14   23:24   Closing (User 2 Partition 1)
2-14   23:23   Exit error (User 2 Partition 1)
2-14   23:12   First to open (User 1 Partition 1)
2-14   22:56   First to open (User 1 Partition 1)
2-14   22:02   Unknown message
2-14   22:02   Unknown message

As you can see the events don't quite match up, including the Exit Error.  So its likely that the protocol has changed a bit.  I have a copy of the protocol document, but it is quite old.  I have not been able to find anything newer.  I was thinking about this a bit and it may be possible to understand the protocol a bit using the DL900 software.  There is a diagnostic window the outputs the communications between the panel and the software.  I can try to take a trace and see if that shows anything. 

Offline srberard

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 02:09:44 am »
Ok, I took a trace from the DL900 software while I armed and disarmed the panel.  Attached is the output.  Sorry that its an image, the DL900 software doesn't allow me to cut and paste from the diagnostics log.

-Steve

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »
Ok, I took a trace from the DL900 software while I armed and disarmed the panel.  Attached is the output.  Sorry that its an image, the DL900 software doesn't allow me to cut and paste from the diagnostics log.

Hi Steve,

Excellent detective work! Sorry for the late reply; I only just saw your post (the forum is supposed to notify me but it didn't).  It'll take me a little to digest, but I wanted to say thanks now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:03:49 pm by oTi@ »