We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Re: Setup  (Read 732 times)

Offline napolitano172

Re: Setup
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:55:20 am »
Got around to downloading the latest this morning and updated Vera - all is working great.  I'm now able to alarm without codes, zones look great and everything is functioning.  Thank you for all of the great work on this!!!

Offline napolitano172

Re: Re: Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:34:19 pm »
I just noticed something that I think is a change, not likely something you have done either, but interesting none the less.  I use Home Buddy on my Android phone and since I've changed over I've lost sight of some of the zones.  I see that in the zone config TAB I have actual motion sensors marked as motion and they display fine, but the other zones that I have marked as Door no longer show up.
This is not the case in Automator on the Apple platform.
I did go and update all as motion and it sees them all - so the question is - other than a label does it matter how I have the zones setup?

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: Re: Setup
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 05:03:10 pm »
I've lost sight of some of the zones.  [...] zones that I have marked as Door no longer show up.
[...] the question is - other than a label does it matter how I have the zones setup?

Ha, fascinating.  This suggests that Home Buddy is using the device type as a magical string, and that it's programmed to recognize the motion sensor device type, but not the door sensor type.

What I think should be happening is that the controller should be looking at the device description file (D_DoorSensor1.xml) and reading the service descriptions inside it, then find the services from the referenced service file (S_SecuritySensor1.xml).  Both Door and Motion sensors reference the same service files, so controllers ought to be handling these two devices identically.  Which is apparently what Automator is doing.

So I'm sorry that you're going to have to fake your door sensors as motion sensors if you want to see them in Home Buddy.