We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Re: Setup  (Read 3841 times)

Offline drew

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Setup
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:50 pm »
I new at this luup stuff and I bought all the specified equipment for the Nx-8 alarm connection to vera but I can't get it to hook up and recognize. I have followed the instructions for the luup download (Correctly?) and install (adapted to UI4) and cannot get vera to prompt me through to setup zones and everything. I am an alarm installer and have programmed the list of things that Futzle wrote needed to be added to the panel to communicate with vera.

This is my second attempt to work with Luup and am not sure what i'm doing wrong but it doesn't work for me. (The first attempt was Guessed's weather plug-in: Unsuccessful) any help is appreciated...

sorry for the rookie question!
Vera 2 ui5,SQ remote app, Schlage lever lock, WDTC-20, (2)HA-14WD, (6)HA-06WD, (3) Ge 45609, (2) Ge 45606, (1) Ge 45613, Zrf113, Caddx Nx-8v2 W/Nx-584mod, usbg-4ftdi usb-to-(4)db9 adaptor

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Re: Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:28:03 pm »
You may want to paste a few screenshots of the "files" after you've uploaded them to your Vera.  If you cannot get the Weather Plugin to work, then the most common problem experienced was in using Windows, with a certain browser type (IE?), whereby it would do bad things to the Filenames upon upload.

Anyhow, the screenshots will help, so feel free to diag the Weather Plugin issues (with screenshots of which step doesn't work and/or make sense) in the main discussion thread for it:
     http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1435.0

once we get that out of the way, it'll be easier to take the next steps with @futzle's driver for the NX-8

Offline drew

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:15:25 pm »
@Guessed

This is how it came up when I added the files from a folder on my desktop. Is that the wrong way to upload them?

Browser is IE8

I just copy and pasted the info from the window. sorry for the format.

Current files
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CDesktop%5CD_Weather.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CDesktop%5CI_GoogleWeather.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CDesktop%5CS_Weather.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CD_AlarmPartition1.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CD_CaddxNX584Security.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CD_Weather.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CDialer.1.5%5CD_Dialer.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CDialer.1.5%5CI_Dialer.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CI_CaddxNX584Security.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CI_GoogleWeather.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CS_AlarmPartition1.xml View download
C%3A%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CHP_Administrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CVera%5CS_Weather.xml View download
D_AlarmPartition1.json View download
D_AlarmPartition1.xml View download
D_AvMisc1.xml View download
D_BinaryLight1.json View download
D_BinaryLight1.xml View download
D_CaddxNX584Security.xml View download
D_ComboDevice1.xml View download
D_DigitalSecurityCamera1.json View download
D_DigitalSecurityCamera1.xml View download
D_DimmableLight1.json View download
D_DimmableLight1.xml View download
D_DoorLock1.json View download
D_DoorLock1.xml View download
D_DoorSensor1.json View download
D_DoorSensor1.xml View download
D_EnergyCalculator1.xml View download
D_EnergyProfiler1.json View download
D_EnergyProfiler1.xml View download
D_GC100.xml View download
D_GenericIO1.json View download
D_GenericIO1.xml View download
D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.json View download
D_HVAC_ZoneThermostat1.xml View download
D_HumiditySensor1.json View download
D_HumiditySensor1.xml View download
D_InsteonNetwork.xml View download
D_IrTransmitter1.xml View download
D_LightSensor1.json View download
D_LightSensor1.xml View download
D_MotionSensor1.json View download
D_MotionSensor1.xml View download
D_PowerMeter1.json View download
D_PowerMeter1.xml View download
D_RemoteControl1.xml View download
D_Scene1.xml View download
D_SceneController1.json View download
D_SceneController1.xml View download
D_SceneControllerLED1.json View download
D_SceneControllerLED1.xml View download
D_SerialPort1.xml View download
D_SmokeSensor1.json View download
D_SmokeSensor1.xml View download
D_TempLeakSensor1.json View download
D_TempLeakSensor1.xml View download
D_TemperatureSensor1.json View download
D_TemperatureSensor1.xml View download
D_USB_UIRT.xml View download
D_WindowCovering1.json View download
D_WindowCovering1.xml View download
D_ZWaveNetwork.xml View download
ExtraStaticData.json View download
I_CaddxNX584Security.xml View download
I_EnergyCalculator1.xml View download
I_EnergyProfiler1.xml View download
I_GC100.xml View download
I_PanasonicPTZ.xml View download
I_ZWave.xml View download
L_WapUI.lua View download
L_sPhoneUI.lua View download
L_sPhoneUI.lua View download
S_AlarmPartition1.xml View download
S_Camera1.xml View download
S_DigitalSecurityCameraSettings1.xml View download
S_DigitalSecurityCameraStillImage1.xml View download
S_Dimming1.xml View download
S_DiscretePower1.xml View download
S_DoorLock1.xml View download
S_EnergyCalculator1.xml View download
S_EnergyMetering1.xml View download
S_FanSpeed1.xml View download
S_HVAC_FanOperatingMode1.xml View download
S_HVAC_OperatingState1.xml View download
S_HVAC_UserOperatingMode1.xml View download
S_HaDevice1.xml View download
S_HomeAutomationGateway1.xml View download
S_HumiditySensor1.xml View download
S_InputSelection1.xml View download
S_InsteonNetwork1.xml View download
S_IrTransmitter1.xml View download
S_JobHandler1.xml View download
S_LightSensor1.xml View download
S_MediaNavigation1.xml View download
S_MenuNavigation1.xml View download
S_Misc1.xml View download
S_NumericEntry1.xml View download
S_PIP1.xml View download
S_PanTiltZoom1.xml View download
S_Scene1.xml View download
S_SceneController1.xml View download
S_SceneControllerLED1.xml View download
S_SecuritySensor1.xml View download
S_SerialPort1.xml View download
S_SwitchPower1.xml View download
S_TV1.xml View download
S_TemperatureSensor1.xml View download
S_TemperatureSetpoint1.xml View download
S_TogglePower1.xml View download
S_Tuning1.xml View download
S_USBUIRT.xml View download
S_VideoAdjustment1.xml View download
S_Volume1.xml View download
S_WMC1.xml View download
S_WindowCovering1.xml View download
S_ZWaveNetwork1.xml View download
generic_device.json View download
vera.xml View download
Vera 2 ui5,SQ remote app, Schlage lever lock, WDTC-20, (2)HA-14WD, (6)HA-06WD, (3) Ge 45609, (2) Ge 45606, (1) Ge 45613, Zrf113, Caddx Nx-8v2 W/Nx-584mod, usbg-4ftdi usb-to-(4)db9 adaptor

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »
This is my second attempt to work with Luup and am not sure what i'm doing wrong but it doesn't work for me. (The first attempt was Guessed's weather plug-in: Unsuccessful) any help is appreciated...

Once you've worked through the suggestions from @guessed, here's what I recommend next:
  • Some information about how you have physically connected Vera to the NX-8.  USB?  Null modem?  ser2net?  Did you adjust any jumpers on the board?
  • Screenshots of the tabs (particularly the advanced tab) of the device you created in UI4.
  • Log output from the Luup log (ssh into the Vera) and see if there are any error messages to do with your Luup device in the log.

At this stage I can't tell if the issue is one of hardware (getting the Vera to speak to the panel) or software (failing to start because of a missed/undocumented configuration step).

I'm between ISPs at the moment so I apologize if I don't respond quickly.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 12:38:50 am »
So, for the Weather plugin, it looks like you used IE to upload the files. 

There are problems with this within the Vera interface, you'll see a number of people that hit similar issues:
   http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1435.msg7076#msg7076
   http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1435.msg7083#msg7083
   http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1435.msg12006#msg12006

Looking at your other files, from the 'NX plugin, it looks like you did a few uploads (unsuccessfully), presumably using IE, then one successful one (presumably using Firefox or another browser)

Can you repeat the steps, from "upload", using Firefox, or some other "non-Internet Explorer" based browser?

When they've uploaded successfully, you'll see entries in the list like:
Code: [Select]
    D_Weather.xml         View download
    I_GoogleWeather.xml   View download
    S_Weather.xml         View download

without of of the "filesystem" prefixes on the beginning (this is the crud that Internet Explorer brings to the table)

Offline drew

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:53:45 pm »
@guessed

I got the plugin for the weather working and got the alarm plug-in loaded and the I/O configured. The issue was IE "crud" and I put the devfilename in the wrong location.

I have the alarm lua running but im getting a "failed to setup interface" line in the status. 
The connections are Nx-584----->4port serial to usb(port 1) ----> vera 2 on usb 1. I believe that the cable on the the nx-584 to port 1 on the hub is a straight through cable. Not sure.
Im not sure what the jumper positions are supposed to be on the automation module for Vera.

any advice is appreciated.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:35:00 pm »
Cool, now that you're up and running with the Weather Plugin, we will now return you to @futzle's normal thread on GE Alarm panels  ;)

I'm sure you'll get some assistance on that shortly, I chimed in because you made the Weather Plugin references, and thought they might also assist you with the basic/core part of the GE install also.

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:25:23 pm »
I have the alarm lua running but im getting a "failed to setup interface" line in the status. 
The connections are Nx-584----->4port serial to usb(port 1) ----> vera 2 on usb 1. I believe that the cable on the the nx-584 to port 1 on the hub is a straight through cable. Not sure.
Im not sure what the jumper positions are supposed to be on the automation module for Vera.

With your NX-584 should have come some installation instructions.  That piece of paper has an explanation of the jumpers and what their positions should be.  I found on my NX-584 that the jumpers are all in the position appropriate for a null modem cable.  All four of the jumpers needed to be switched to their opposite positions for a straight-through cable.

Summary: try inverting all of the jumpers to their alternate settings and see if you get further.

After that, if it still isn't working for you, I really need to see the Luup log, which requires you to ssh into the Vera.  See http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Debugging for how to get to the Luup log.

Offline drew

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:31:23 pm »
@futzle

I have attempted every possible combination of jumpers on the board and all i can get is the buss light and a flashing light for the "waiting for host".

I have also tried different settings on the programming for the HA module.

The panel I have is an Nx-8v2 with 2 keypads (1) NX-148e-rf, and (1)NX-148e .

I looked into the logs for Vera using putty but I don't know how to copy them. Is there another way to pull the log files that is newbie friendly?

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:39:07 pm »
@futzle
I have attempted every possible combination of jumpers on the board and all i can get is the buss light and a flashing light for the "waiting for host".

Don't try every possible combination.  Only the default and the opposite-to-default configurations will be meaningful.

Till now I've been assuming that you've got an established connection from the NX-584 to the Vera.  I'm not so sure of that now.  You may have a physical connection, but:

* Are you sure that the USB-to-serial adapter is recognized by the Vera?  Look in /dev/usb/tts for USB devices.
* Are you sure that the USB-to-serial adapter is getting enough power from the USB port in the Vera?  Look for signs that it's got enough power (e.g., it might have a power LED)
* Are you sure that the serial configuration is right?  Baud rate, data bits, etc.  Check both ends.
* Are you sure that you named the correct serial device when you created the D_CaddxNX584Security.xml device?  It should be whatever device in /dev/usb/tts appeared when you plugged in the USB-to-serial adapter.

All the LEDs flash like crazy when it's talking to the Vera, so if you're not seeing that then I don't reckon you've got a complete electrical connection.

I looked into the logs for Vera using putty but I don't know how to copy them. Is there another way to pull the log files that is newbie friendly?

PuTTY has a logging feature.  The PuTTY user manual has a section "Creating a log file of your session".  Probably you want the option "Printable Output".