We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Initial questions  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Jacobly

Initial questions
« on: August 17, 2010, 01:41:01 am »
This is great news! I have been wanting to get this plugin up and running since I made the decision to by Vera! I'd love to help test out your plugin but I have a few questions before I begin. (I am currently on the road for the next 3 weeks for business, but I'd love to plan for this project in the meantime)

My setup:

Vera1
GE NX-8 panel (configured)
NX-584 serial interface card (not yet configured to the NX-8 panel)

Here are a few questions for you:
What Vera hardware version are you running.... Vera1 or Vera2?
What Firmware version # of Vera are you running? (Looked like you were running UI2, but I want to make sure)
How did you reconfigure your NX-4 panel to accept the NX-584? How to steps would be great!
How are you connecting Vera to your NX-4... IPserial plugin, or USB to serial adapter?
If serial, what adapter are you using?

I have spent quite a bit of time researching the Networx panel/NX-584 integration, but it has been quite a while since I gave up on the coding effort....

Any further info you could offer would be great!

Jake
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:44:21 pm by futzle »
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: Re: Plugin for Caddx/GE/Networx NX-584/NX-8E security system
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:08:15 am »
What Vera hardware version are you running.... Vera1 or Vera2?
What Firmware version # of Vera are you running? (Looked like you were running UI2, but I want to make sure)

Vera1 running 1.0.996, so yes, UI2.  I haven't tested it at all on UI3 or UI4.

Quote from: Jacobly
How did you reconfigure your NX-4 panel to accept the NX-584? How to steps would be great!

The NX-584 presents itself as an Expander to the NX-4, so it needs to be hard-wired to the COM/POS/DATA terminals on the NX-4/8 just as if it was a keypad.  Then I programmed it through a keypad: baud rate, binary protocol, message enables.  This is explained in the installation manual for the NX-584, and it's several pages long.  If you've ever programmed your NX-8 you know the drill.  Lots of pressing * and # and reading binary off the LEDs on the keypad.  I hear it's nicer if you have a LCD keypad.  Once you've left programming mode the serial port should Just Work.

(If you didn't get the installation manual with your NX-584, you can find tons of PDFs of it online.)

Quote from: Jacobly
How are you connecting Vera to your NX-4... IPserial plugin, or USB to serial adapter?
If serial, what adapter are you using?

The chain for me is NX-4 <--1--> NX-584 <--2--> USB-to-Serial adapter <--3--> Desktop computer running Linux.  Connection --1-- is three wires as I described.  Connection --2-- is a female-to-female DB9 gender changer*.  The USB-to-Serial adapter is a no-name with a Prolific PL2303 chipset.  Connection --3-- is direct through a USB port.  The Desktop computer is running ser2net.  Over on the other side of my household LAN, the Vera has an IPSerial port created using @guessed's very handy Luup plugin.  The Vera and NX-584 are in different parts of the house; I imagine a direct connection would work but I never tried.

* On the NX-584 are four jumpers which I had to flip to their non-default positions.  If Connection --2-- were a proper null modem cable I'd have left them where they were.

I'm putting together detailed instructions on code.mios.com at http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_caddxnx584

Good luck and let me know how you fare!

Offline Jacobly

Initial questions
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »
This sounds great! I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

I have read the install manual for the NX-584, but if I remember correctly, I had problems relating the instructions to the cheap keypad I have installed on my system. (ie I don't think I had one of the buttons it said I needed to press) I also do not have the master code for the system because I did not install it.... So there are two of the problems I have encountered.... And why the NX-584 is not configured, but it is installed in my cabinet. I have downloaded the GE Configuration software to an old laptop that has WinXP and a serial port.... But I have not attempted to program it that way either. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

I know you have just got this up and running on UI2, but have you started trying, or have plans, to make it compatible with UI4? I only ask this because I plan on making my upgrade plans around your plugin. (I see enough value in this offering that I am willing to put off future functionality for alarm integration in Vera) That being said I would love to move to UI4 for the "if" "and" statements that are currently in the development pipeline.

Another question I have for you is surrounding how I should connect the NX-584 to my Vera. Like you, I would prefer to have my Vera in a different location than next to the alarm panel. I actually purchased a Global Cache WF2SL ( http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2slspecs/ ) to accomplish this, but I have not had a lot of time to set this device up either. It looks like there is better documentation on the GC product now so maybe it wouls work fine!?!? ( http://www.globalcache.com/files/docs/API-iTach.pdf ) Obviously this adds yet another piece of complexity.... I suppose I could use a USB to Serial adapter to plug directly into Vera. Which of these two options would you suggest/prefer for my testing? (if it is the USB route, if you could post a link of the USB to serial adapter you purchased and where, that would be very helpful) A Linux box is probably out of the question for me, since I already have a WMC desktop in the already cramped cramped area.

If you couldn't tell already, I am very interested in getting this up and running, as this would
complete the feature set of Vera in my mind.... Any further tips or lessons you learned getting this operational would be very helpful. ( I will of course click on your link of instructions as this should give me more info....)

Thanks for taking the time to create this plugin!

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:52:22 pm by Jacobly »
Z-Wave enthusiast

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: Initial questions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 03:11:29 am »
@Jacobly, If you want a USB/Serial adapter then use one of these as they are confirmed compatible with Vera (Vera is fussy about these):

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/UC232R-10-ChiPi/?qs=Xb8IjHhkxj6CgzDRNJ3cLA%3d%3d

However, a few of us are using an WIZnet IP to Serial gateway (cuts out the need for the linux PC that @Futzle has) and can be run anywhere you have a network connection via the IPserial plugin that @guessed wrote. Much more flexible solution as you can either have it near Vera and powered by a Vera USB port (via adapter cable) or via some other USB device or wall wart far away.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9476
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:53:58 am »
I had problems relating the instructions to the cheap keypad I have installed on my system. (ie I don't think I had one of the buttons it said I needed to press) I also do not have the master code for the system because I did not install it....

You should need only the buttons 0-9, *, # and EXIT.  Those are on every Caddx keypad, and AFAIK only Caddx keypads work on Caddx panels anyway.

As for the installation code, you absolutely do need this.  The default is 9713, so try that first (star 8 9713 to enter programming mode, as described in the installation manual; EXIT a couple of times to get back out).  If it's been changed, you've got no option other than trying all ten thousand possible codes, or to beg the code from the installer, assuming you even know who the installer was.  Caddx panels don't have an on-board factory reset, so there's no way around this.

I know you have just got this up and running on UI2, but have you started trying, or have plans, to make it compatible with UI4?

Sure, when UI4 is out of beta.  The plugin will probably work on UI4 already, if you use the versions of D_AlarmPartition1.{xml,json} from the Paradox alarm plugin.

I actually purchased a Global Cache WF2SL ( http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2slspecs/ )

That's a nice-looking device.  I imagine it would work eventually, but you're on your own debugging it.  Your best bet for testing my plugin is to connect as directly as possible: USB-to-serial adapter in the back of the Vera, then a null modem cable as long as you need to connect the two.  It's only temporary, until you get your GC device going.

if you could post a link of the USB to serial adapter you purchased and where, that would be very helpful

Aten UC-232A, for what it's worth—they're just down the road from me—but Linux recognizes most USB adapters so compatibility with Vera wasn't on my mind when I bought it.

http://www.sparkfun.com/

Sparkfun is the best.  I've got one of their I2C Temperature sensors hooked up (in convoluted fashion) to my Vera.

Offline Jacobly

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I just purchased the FTDI adapter mentioned below. I think this might work best for me right now. I think I have all the info I need to get busy on this; but is won't be for a few weeks due to my travel commitments. Thanks again!
Z-Wave enthusiast