We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Initial questions  (Read 1465 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Initial questions
« on: August 08, 2010, 01:26:26 am »
I am thinking of adding a security system to my home and incorporating it  with vera. I was wondering if you can answer a few questions for me. What is required to install the NetworkX system? I would like to keep things wireless for the sensors. Do I just need the nx-8e cabinet, nc-584 module and a wireless keypad as well as the wireless sensors? If I do go this route, I will be looking forward to trying your plugin.

- Garrett

Offline futzle

• Master Member
Re: Initial questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 02:07:44 am »
What is required to install the NetworkX system? I would like to keep things wireless for the sensors. Do I just need the nx-8e cabinet, nc-584 module and a wireless keypad as well as the wireless sensors?

As I understand it, you don't need the NX-8E (main panel) and the NX-584 (serial interface expander), unless you have a need to put the serial interface in a separate part of your house.  The NX-8E has the serial interface on-board, so you could connect Vera to it via a long null modem cable if your house's geometry allows it.

The above is based on what I've read, not personal experience.  I have the lesser NX-4 (main panel) system, which doesn't have the serial interface, so I had to get the NX-584 for its serial interface, which, as it happens, I keep in a different room and connect to the NX-4 by wire.  (The NX-4 is a single-partition unit, too, so multi-partition support is something else I'd like for NX-8E owners to test for me.)

I've no idea about wireless sensors or keypad, sorry.  Every Networx installation I've ever seen has been wired.  Perhaps someone else familiar with the system knows.