We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Weather Plugin  (Read 234092 times)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Plugin for Web: weather.com et al
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 05:07:32 pm »
Zmistro,
There are UI rendition bugs for both Temperature and Humidity controls in the luup releases.  These are open issues listed against the main topic thread.

The attribute values are correct if you need to script a scene against them or anything.  You'll see the same UI bug if you have another temperature device like a hsm100.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:25:55 pm by guessed »

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:27 pm »
These are now fixed.  The next release will be out in a couple days.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »
Just a side-note, my code wont work unless you've filled in the Location information.  It needs this to get the Lat/Long.  I'll see if I can add some startup validation code that fails when this isn't set so users will "know", otherwise it silently fails.

Dashboard rendition of the component in the 1.0.883 release attached.  Looks like HumiditySensor1 components don't yet have a nice render widget, but the value is there behind the scenes for scripters.

@zmistro: the "OFF" stuff is gone in the newer Luup releases.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 05:17:16 pm »
Updated version attached.  This will check the Lat/Long and fail during startup if these aren't set.

Updated the version at box.net also, just in case the attachments aren't working (or are delayed as they have been in the past)

(modified to remove the legacy version of Weather.zip, newer version now only on Box.net to ensure we dont have stragglers)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:37:32 pm by guessed »

Offline madas

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:41 pm »
Thank you guessed.  It works great.  Just having a play.  Real nice data input to have!
Vera(1.0.958), Dongle(2.78), WDTC-20 Thermostat, HA02C Appliance Module, HA-04WD Outdoor Appliance Module, HA20C Dimmer, HA-07WD Remote, HSM100 Motion/Light/Temp, HA03C Lamp Module, HA02C Appliance Module, BE369 Schlage Deadbolt

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 11:50:32 pm »
@madas, you're welcome.  I'd be interested to know what you use it for, and to get confirmation that the temperature settings are reporting correctly for your area (just to get any bugs out).

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 10:24:25 am »
Nice plugin.

In the version I just loaded, I get 2 temperatures.  One listed in the main device as "Current Temperature = xxF" and another in the Temperature child window.  They do not match, so I am wondering what the child temperature reading means.

(http://img.skitch.com/20090831-ndsjg4dj54pxpbskc1ku3ftgth.jpg)

Offline LibraSun

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 11:30:01 am »
This plug-in is top-notch and I look forward to using it.

In fact, I sincerely hope Vera could incorporate this functionality natively, perhaps expanding the range of variables she presents (and makes available to other Luup plug-ins!), such as:

Cumulative rainfall for past X days:
Visibility (mi/km):
Cloud cover:
Humidity:
"Feels like":
Smog / allergen / pollen, etc. level:

I believe, given the proper interfacing with existing (free) weather services, Vera could "screen scrape" all kinds of relevant weather / climate information!

Imagine being able to instruct Vera (I know this is years away!), "IF [Humidity] [exceeds] 75% OR [Air Quality] [falls below] 6, THEN [Close] [Motorized Sunroof], [Set] [Thermostat] to [Auto]" etc.

Or water your lawn after 3 consecutive dry days, etc.
Vera Model I running UI4 (Firmware 1.1.1338), died in 2015
Vera Plus running UI7 (Firmware 1.7.2935)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 12:05:58 pm »
@Chimpware, not sure where the extra Current temperature is coming from, since nothing should be attached to the Parent device (it's just a container). 

What Vera version are you on?   Was it a clean install of the component or an upgrade from a previous version (I used to have the root-Device as a Temp sensor, but I nuked that some time back)

The intention was to use one of the 3x "Temperature" child devices (Temp, Low-Temp, High-Temp) depending upon what you needed.

@LibraSun, some of the data you want is available in the underlying feed from Google.  I didn't bother presenting it, as there was no "clean" visualization for it.  They have "codes" for the various weather types, along with some image URLs, but you'd likely want to normalize them just in case the underlying feed/implementation ever needs to change.  Unfortunately I dont see a way for a "Device" to present the URL to the UI/Render layer, otherwise I'd have presented the Cloud-layer info in the icon XML element.

This is the type of data that's presented, for reference:

http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=11937

This feed was the only one I could find that could take Lat-Long parameters, to make it auto-config for users, and have World-Wide coverage.

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »
guessed:  I am running 878, and it was a clean install from the download you listed above about 3 or 4 posts.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 01:29:40 pm »
ok, I'll take a crack at it tonight to try and work out why it would render like that.  It doesn't for me, but I take my screenshots from the Devices tab of the Design time.

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 02:46:19 pm »
guessed, before you spend nay time on it, let me upgrade to 886, and get my new dongle working, then if it still has same result I will post back.

Offline madas

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 07:17:57 pm »
guessed,

I'm thinking something along the lines of if daily high temp > 80 then turn on the AC in the house to say 74.  If High is less than 80 then disable the AC.  Or even use the current temp to always keep the house say X degrees below the outside temp.  Might lower my electric bill a bit!

No point running AC when the temp is not going to get too high.  I'm sure there are plenty of other uses as well, i'll post as I think of them!

G
Vera(1.0.958), Dongle(2.78), WDTC-20 Thermostat, HA02C Appliance Module, HA-04WD Outdoor Appliance Module, HA20C Dimmer, HA-07WD Remote, HSM100 Motion/Light/Temp, HA03C Lamp Module, HA02C Appliance Module, BE369 Schlage Deadbolt

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 09:57:58 pm »
Guessed, behavior is exactly the same after upgrade to 886 for me.  Unfortunately I could not upgrade the dongle as I had planned as Vera is not creating a backup for me.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 10:29:18 pm »
@Chimpware, I've sent you a PM for a few extra items I need to debug this.  Feel free to post results here as needed for any screenshots (etc) as we debug offline.

Strangely, it's working fine for me in both Device and Dashboard displays so I must have messed up the packaging somewhat or there's a Legacy version of the D_Weather.xml file floating around.