We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wake-On-LAN  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Mark H.

• Global Moderator
Wake-On-LAN
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:18:44 am »
Can i program Vera to wake Up a client-PC from suspend on a schedule over PXE Boot or through a "Magic packet"? Or a scenario like this:
I have a touchscreen PC in my kitchen. When I enter the kitchen, the lights turn on and the Touchscreen PC wakes up from suspend into my homepage.

How is this possible using Vera.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:22:56 am by mark-hc »
Vera 2
Firmware: 1.5.101 Zwave: 3.20

Offline aaronox

• Aaron
Re: Wake-On-LAN
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 04:10:33 pm »
That's an interesting use of of Wake-On-Lan, but I would use that.

say, at 3:30 when the kids get off from school, having the computer already going for them.

I have a media center pc attached to our tv. While it never shuts down, I would be good to have a scheduled WOL every morning to it makes sure it is on.
Aaron

Offline zounder1

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 07:55:35 am »
This feature might be nice for some people.  Not too much work is required at a script called ether-wake is already available for Linux that does this.  It is a tiny little script and dead easy to use:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/ether-wake shows you the MAN page.  I'm pretty sure it is GPL'd too, so you can use the code without issue.

Cheers.

PS:  This is a nice feature, but the computer has to support WOL.  Some equipment does not support WOL... it is dependent on the chipset that they are using.

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:22:50 pm »
Vera is a regular OpenWRT/Linux box, so you could add a cronjob to do this.