We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Programing a Remotec ZFM-80  (Read 40896 times)

Offline waltzer11

Re: Programing a Remotec ZFM-80
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
Everyone else has done it successfully and i was left behind (I am stupid, I guess). The "garage door"plugin is nowhere when I click the + sign in the MIOS Marketplace. But this is not my problem now because Richard RTS gave me the link. Whenever I tried to install the plugin, I get an error message and it does not get included in my dashboard as per attached. Another problem is that I recently installed Aeon Labs sensor in the garage - it says "unable to get info". ZFM-80 is fine and I can open/close the garage door. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: DO YOU THINK UI4 IS PART OF THE PROBLEM? I WAS HESITANT TO UPGRADE TO UI5 BECAUSE OF THE MANY ISSUES I HAVE READ IN FORUM.

If you're using an old UI, that might explain why you're having difficulty installing the plugin. Fortunately, the plugin is not necessary to have a working garage control. All you need to do is create a Scene that is triggered when the ZFM-80 is turned on. The scene should turn the ZFM-80 off immediately. This is the exact configuration I (and many others) use. No need to involve a plugin IMHO.

You are right. I upgraded to UI5 and was able to download the plugin. I will see how to create a scene/trigger. Thanks

it should be easy, follow SteveZ's recommendation above.. and you will be good.

congrats to you Exorcist. ok i will try to work on SteveZ's recommendation. i took out SM103 from the garage and replaced it with aeon labs sensor and so far no problem with aeon labs. i installed the SM103 in the back door and for 1 week now it is still sleeping and "unable to get info" error message and "unable to configure node".

I was getting the same error with sm103, lots of people faced this issue.. after looking around the forum, the most common suggestion posted was.. to exclude and then include back the device.

look here

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=10540.0

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=4440.0

i have no other option except to install the magnet to the stationary part and the detector to the moving part of the door. installed it horizontally. i cannot bring the magnet to the detector any closer otherwise it will interfere with the opening/closing of the door.

Offline waltzer11

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »
Everyone else has done it successfully and i was left behind (I am stupid, I guess). The "garage door"plugin is nowhere when I click the + sign in the MIOS Marketplace. But this is not my problem now because Richard RTS gave me the link. Whenever I tried to install the plugin, I get an error message and it does not get included in my dashboard as per attached. Another problem is that I recently installed Aeon Labs sensor in the garage - it says "unable to get info". ZFM-80 is fine and I can open/close the garage door. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
NOTE: DO YOU THINK UI4 IS PART OF THE PROBLEM? I WAS HESITANT TO UPGRADE TO UI5 BECAUSE OF THE MANY ISSUES I HAVE READ IN FORUM.

If you're using an old UI, that might explain why you're having difficulty installing the plugin. Fortunately, the plugin is not necessary to have a working garage control. All you need to do is create a Scene that is triggered when the ZFM-80 is turned on. The scene should turn the ZFM-80 off immediately. This is the exact configuration I (and many others) use. No need to involve a plugin IMHO.

can you please be kind enough to give the exact details of the scene/trigger to do this that when the ZFM-80 is turned on, the scene should turn ZFM-80 off immediately. i am still trying to do this. for now, i removed the "plugin". thanks

Offline Donfleck1

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 10:36:05 pm »
I am looking for a zwave garage door momentary relay switch that is more reliable than my evolve zf20. I have a Vera scene/timer that turns off the module, after just being turned on. Not always reliable though. I'd like a normally open (off) unit that physically turns off after a moment of being switched on. By physically, I don't want to rely on a Vera scene to remember to turn off, after receive the signal to turn on.  I see the zfm-80 has the option of being a momentary switch, where it is handled physically by the unit, independent of zwave. I'd like to turn on the zfm-80 at the unit, or via Vera, then let the zfm-80 automatically turn off (momentary switching). The zfm manual says it does this as an option (have to change setting, as factory default is not momentary).  I just don't know if this optional momentary switching also functions when zwave is turning the unit on?  Anyone know?

Offline sdittoc

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:35 pm »
I set my remotec up today.  The only problem I have is with my existing garage door button.  There are two buttons and a switch.  One button turns light on or off on garage door opener, button two opens, closes, and stops the door.  There is also a switch which is supposed to lock the door.  When I hooked up this device the light button, door lock switch, and door open  button open and close the door instead of their individual functions.  Does the remotec switch have to have the garage door button wired to it or can they all be wired direct to the garage door.  Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:05 am »
I set my remotec up today.  The only problem I have is with my existing garage door button.  There are two buttons and a switch.  One button turns light on or off on garage door opener, button two opens, closes, and stops the door.  There is also a switch which is supposed to lock the door.  When I hooked up this device the light button, door lock switch, and door open  button open and close the door instead of their individual functions.  Does the remotec switch have to have the garage door button wired to it or can they all be wired direct to the garage door.  Anyone else have this problem?

Your issue is because your buttons are controlling the Remotec rather than the opener.

The Remotec can certainly be wired directly to the opener, just like another button.

The wiring instructions that I provided earlier in this thread, running the wall button through the Remotec rather than separately to the opener, were provided to address the poster's specific request to avoid running additional wires.

Offline curiousB

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »
I have a similar application. I have a scene that triggers when the (CA3500 in my case) is turned on then it waits 2 seconds and issues a turn off command. I never manually run this scene it just sits in the background and shuts off the CA3500 whenever it gets turned on.

So now when I go and turn on the garage door opener, the CA3500 turns on, this powers a 12VDC mini power supply plugged into the switch part of the CA3500, then the category 2 Low voltage 12VDC wire goes to a $4 auto relay (Bosch type) mounted on side of GDO, the NO contacts then are wired to the same terminals as the door switch.

The reason the trigger upon detecting power up was for the following reasons:
  1) so the relay would never be closed for more than a few seconds (simulating a push button).
  2) to allow for triggering by pressing the faceplate switch on the CA3500 to open the door
  3) to provide a failsafe mechanism in case the CA3500 was inadvertently turned on for any reason.

Here is diagram:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,4773.msg111673.html#msg111673

VeraLite (1), Leviton VRI10-1LX (8 ), VP00R-1LZ (5), VRS15-1LX (1), Intermatic CA3500 (10), CA5100 (1), Aeon Labs DSC26103 (5), Foscam FI8918W (2) , FI9821W V2 (1), DLINK DCS-932L (2), DCS-930L (1), GE45604 (2), GE45603 (5), Honeywell RTH8580WF (2), HA-09WD (1), Kwikset 910TRL ZW (1), Aeon MMote (2)

Offline sdittoc

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:10 pm »

Your issue is because your buttons are controlling the Remotec rather than the opener.

The Remotec can certainly be wired directly to the opener, just like another button.

The wiring instructions that I provided earlier in this thread, running the wall button through the Remotec rather than separately to the opener, were provided to address the poster's specific request to avoid running additional wires.

Thanks, I will try just hooking directly and see if it works.

I supplied power to device and ran one pair of wires to the back of the opener where the existing button is currently wired in.  The device works great and my two button opener still opens / close and turns the light on and off.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:37:28 pm by sdittoc »

Offline beatmstrj

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 01:55:52 am »
This seems to be the right thread for this sort of thing. I read through this thread and it seems everyone is going with a slightly different setup than the one I have. I would like to replace my existing garage door opener switches with the Remotec ZFM-80's. I want the Remotec switches to act just like my old garage door opener switches with the added bonus of Z-Wave control.

I assumed that if I unplugged the existing switch and plugged only the bell wires into the Remotec that I will still be able to use the Remotec as a regular switch without the Z-Wave. This doesnt seem to be the case, and even produced some strange results.

When I plug in one set of bell wires, the garage door immediately opens as soon as I make contact with both wires to the Remotec, however the switch does nothing and the light does not illuminate. When I plug the other set of bell wires in, the light on the Remotec illuminates but the button does nothing and the garage door never opens. The results are the same on both switches and my old garage door switches worked fine before I took them off.

So I guess my question is, do I need to first program the Remotec to act a certain way when the button is pressed or should it work the way I have described without any AC power. I will eventually be hooking up the AC power but this was just my first test before I start making holes in the wall. Will this setup even work?

I have included a wiring diagram so please let me know if this should work.
Thanks!

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 09:00:26 am »
@beatmstrj - The Remotec switch must have AC power in order to function.

The instructions that I provided in that thread were for a specific installation request. The way that I would recommend you install is to leave the existing switches and bell wires in place. Then install the AC powered Remotec with it's own bell wires directly to the garage door opener.

I prefer this method because it does not alter the existing behavior/functionality and it is often problematic to get AC mains power at the location of the existing bell wire button.

Offline beatmstrj

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »
I already have AC power at the location of the existing bell wires which is why I want to do it this way. I'd rather not have two sets of buttons if possible. So if I am able to get AC power to the remotec and then plug in the existing bell wires should it function as a normal garage door opener or will there be additional setup necessary?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 08:45:58 pm »
There may be additional configuration necessary, depending on your desired behavior.

Everything you need is in the manual and this thread.

Offline Exorcist

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2013, 04:56:58 pm »
ZWaver I cannot thank you enough for your contribution towards helping me out with the diagram to setup the garage door switch and ZFM-80. Now I have also integrated a nfc tag on the garage door that opens the door when I bring my phone near it. And another nfc tag to close the door. Works like a charm. Thanks.

Moving on the next level, I would like to use the same switch for my door opener... not the door that has a zwave lock,. this is a door thats shared among other neighbours in a town home,  that is propelled by an external switch in each of the houses. this is in a town home and when someone rings a bell we push the switch to open the door for the visitor to open the door. There is also a conference speaker to speak/hear, although i dont care about the speaker. I am attaching few pictures of the current setup I was thinking if I can attach the ZFM-80 switch within the gang box which is pretty big to accommodate the Remotec switch hidden inside. Is it possible to wire this switch for this application?

Please have a look at the wiring for the push button switch, although some wires from the push button go to the speakers also, but i think we just need wires coming to the Remotec from the push button only *that triggers to open the door*

Plan is to have a nfc tag later on to propel to unlock the door that uses this manual switch. This way we also dont need to use the lock to unlock the door, instead use the phone against the nfc tag to unlock the door.

Remotec ZFM-80

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »
This sounds interesting. But, you failed to attach the pictures.

I'm sure that everyone would like to see pictures of your NFC setup as well.

Offline Exorcist

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:05 pm »
oops i think i missed the pictures.
attaching them here.

(http://i.imgbox.com/abqjQxgX.jpg)
(http://i.imgbox.com/adrR6RZu.jpg)
(http://i.imgbox.com/acbdAnLZ.jpg)
(http://i.imgbox.com/adn5zdoh.jpg)

This is the buttons on the outside that people press that rings the door bell which is the speaker you can see in the above pictures.

(http://i.imgbox.com/abup6Zqh.jpg)

Also,
attaching the
pictures of the nfc tag.. this is so easier.. just place the phone on the tag and it opens the garage door, instead of launching any app and pressing the buttons.

(http://i.imgbox.com/ade7o1Gh.jpg)
(http://i.imgbox.com/adcbw53D.jpg)

There is an nfc tag for the house door as well that uses a zwave kwikset lock, although we dont use it much, cos its easier to punch in the password while standing next to the lock instead sticking a phone to the tag and wait for the command to execute. However we do have one nfc tag that is little farther away from the door while getting up the stairs.. by the time i get up the stairs to the door, the nfc launches the door to open. :)

(http://i.imgbox.com/acxm3CbL.jpg)

Well coming back to the intercom opener... pls look at the images above.. i am damn sure there is a way to attach the switch to this.

unable to attach pictures using the forums default option, instead uploading to an external host. Please pardon my confusion.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 05:30:00 pm by Exorcist »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »
Your intercom opener looks like a standard momentary switch. So, I would expect the ZFM-80 or any other dry contact switch to work with it.

I would check the intercom switch with a voltmeter first, just to ascertain what voltage I was working with and whether it is DC or AC. I don't enjoy getting shocked.

You should be able to use a ZFM-80, connected similarly to my last garage door picture, to bridge the red and white wires.