We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: PLM won't initialize- Vera2, UI4  (Read 4772 times)

Offline jsed

PLM won't initialize- Vera2, UI4
« on: April 19, 2013, 03:57:04 pm »
I'm hoping there is a simple answer to this question...

I have an extensive zwave network, but no Insteon until recently and I would like to include the new devices with Altsteon on Vera.
I added 3 Insteon devices to my Vera2 (UI4)- all of which are linked to a PLM 2413U. They are working physically- but I'm having trouble with Altsteon and the PLM.

I loaded the daemon and devices onto the Vera2, created all of the devices, started the LUUP and while the daemon will run- the PLM won't initialize.
Tried restarting Vera and the PLM, in sequence and together. No luck. Vera does see the PLM on ttyUSB0.

There is a note on FBA's download site for Altsteon:

" If you are using the binary that runs directly on the Vera, you should use an IP address of 127.0.0.1 for the plm."

Not sure how to define this for the PLM as I thought the IP address in the device creation was supposed to be Vera's IP which in my case, is different from 127.0.0.1. Unless of course I need to allocate this specific IP address as Vera's IP in order to have the PLM work correctly with the daemon?

Changed the PLM device to IP to 127.0.0.1. Still won't initialize the PLM.

Please see attached error message from the SSH session.

Any help much appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:42:30 pm by jsed »

Offline jsed

Re: PLM won't initialize- Vera2, UI4
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »
In order to make sure the PLM works I downloaded HouseLink from Smarthome and linked it to all of the devices. The PLM turns them on & off etc.
Meanwhile on the Vera the Altsteon daemon runs fine but the PLM just won't initialize.
Even upgraded my Vera2 to UI5 in case that was the issue.

Totally stumped. Help!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:18:14 am »
Are you sure you have the correct path for the plm in Vera? What does dmesg say the plm is located? For example, are you sure it is located at /dev/usb/tts/0? This is what shows in your screen shot. dmesg should show the correct path for the plm, you'll have to search or grep for say usb "dmesg | grep usb".

If it is at ttyUSB0 which is stated in your second post, have you tried doing:

/overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB0? Also make sure that insteon is not enabled in the Vera UI? Vera's insteon implementation will interfere with altsteon if both running at the same time.

- Garrett

Offline jsed

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:50 pm »
PLM is working- but not entirely sure why.

- I moved my Vera to a location where the PLM could be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Previously it was plugged into the same multiplug as the Vera was.
- Also my Vera 2, even running UI5, won't find the PLM with /overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/ttyUSB0. It will find the PLM using /overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/tts/0.

I had tried /overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/tts/0 before but the PLM wouldn't initialize. After moving it to a wall plug it has.

Altsteon_cli won't run however. Does the altsteon_cli need chmod 755?
I get odd error messages when trying to run altsteon_cli like "connect () failed".

Doesn't matter if I try altsteon_cli from /overlay/sbin/ or root.
Devices won't run from dashboard either- I get the error "device not ready".

Offline jsed

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:59 pm »
I'm wrong again.

Daemon isn't reporting a PLM initialization fail- but there isn't any feedback from the PLM.
With debug, after starting Altsteon the daemon says "sending : 260" and then defaults back to the "root" prompt.

As Altsteon_cli isn't working either (I get permission denied errors.) I'm considering resetting Vera to factory defaults again and reloading Altsteon. Not sure what else to do.

I did reset Vera again- same errors. Meh.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:46:03 pm by jsed »

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 12:18:10 am »
jsed,

First we should focus on getting altsteon working with your plm before worrying about the Vera frontend to communicate with altsteon. When issuing the altsteon command "/overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/tts/0" if you issue a "ps -ef | grep altsteon", do you see the process running? I do not have a Vera 2 anymore let alone running UI4, so I can not tell you if it works well with unit. I can tell you I have no issues with it running on my Vera 3.

- Garrett

Offline jsed

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 12:06:27 pm »
Hi Garrett

It looks like its running- but I'm not a programmer.
See attached screen.

Thanks for helping!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 05:27:19 pm »
It looks to me you have too many instances running. You should only have to run it once. Can you kill the altsteon processes using the kill command? For example, kill 2320. After killing the processes, run the altsteon command and watch the output. It should say it is accessing the plm. If you run the altsteon_cli command and type help. You should be able to list the insteon devices. It's one of the plm options. Something like plm list_adlb. Not sure the exact command off the top of my head.

- Garrett

Offline jsed

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:03:15 pm »
I get a dead-end with trying altsteon_cli.

I ran killall altsteon to make sure there weren't any extra copies running and then ran altsteon -dd.
I'm attaching a screen grab of the results after trying to run altsteon_cli again.

Does it seem like the plm isn't responding to the daemon inquiry at all?

I rebooted Vera and ran "ps -ef | grep altsteon" to check processes, and there were two instances of the daemon running.
Is that normal?
I'm attaching the screen image of that as well.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »
I havent forgotten about you. Do you have the altsteon command run when Vera or the luup engine restarts? In other words, do you have the command pasted in the startup section of Vera? If you do, remove the line that starts the altsteon command. Once we clean up the setup, and there is no altsteon command running, issue the command in the terminal and let me know what the output is. So issue the following in the terminal:

/overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/tts/0

The output should look something like this:

Code: [Select]
[4/29/2013 - 13:31:59] - --| Starting altsteon!
[4/29/2013 - 13:31:59] - PLM is devcat 3, subcat 21, address 1C.F8.C1 running software rev. 153.

For the altsteon_cli permission denied error. Do you have proper execution rights for the command? If not you can do the following:

chmod +x /overlay/sbin/altsteon_cli

- Garrett

Offline jsed

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:14 pm »
I deleted the startup luup and just to be sure there were no extra altsteon daemons running, ran killall alsteon.

Then I ran your suggestions:
issue the following in the terminal:

/overlay/sbin/altsteon -p /dev/tts/0

The output should look something like this:

Code: [Select]

[4/29/2013 - 13:31:59] - --| Starting altsteon!
[4/29/2013 - 13:31:59] - PLM is devcat 3, subcat 21, address 1C.F8.C1 running software rev. 153.

For the altsteon_cli permission denied error. Do you have proper execution rights for the command? If not you can do the following:

chmod +x /overlay/sbin/altsteon_cli

Didn't get the correct response from the PLM, and still can't seem to run altsteon_cli. See attached screen image.
I'm now running UI5 on my Vera2, and the 0.05 altsteon binaries for Vera2.

Wish I knew where the problem is: my PLM? Or the Vera? its a new PLM and works OK with Houselinc.
Thanks for helping!

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 09:39:53 pm »
Can you post your dmesg output? Before issuing the command, can you unplug and re plug the plm into Vera?

- Garrett

Offline jsed

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:36 pm »
Unplugged the PLM from the wall, plugged it back in. Unplugged from Vera, plugged it back in.

Reminds me of the IT Crowd- Did you turn it off and turn it back on again??

Attached is the dmesg log.

Offline jsed

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:15:02 pm »
Hi Garrett

Thought I'd reset Vera one more time before reloading my zwave network.
Also thought I'd check the status of the PLM with Houselinc to be sure it still had its associations. It does- all functioning.

Anyway, re-added altsteon and altsteon_cli, and ran dmesg. Got a different log with at least an indication that the PLM has an address with Vera- it does seem to be locked into some sort of loop however. Also still getting "connect() failed" with altsteon_cli after the chmod.

Is there any way to batch copy via ftp the insteon lua files to the correct folder in Vera? I've lost count of how many times I've reloaded them one at a time.

See attached log file.