We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wiring on an Intermatic outlet  (Read 2029 times)

Offline TheAmorphous

Wiring on an Intermatic outlet
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »
Hi all, just picked up a VeraLite today and already have a wiring question.  The controller came in a package deal with an Intermatic outlet, model number HA01C. 

Pulling the faceplate off the existing outlet I'm looking to replace, though, I found that my outlets are apparently chained together.  So I have two white wires, two black wires, and one ground.  I'm no electriction, but I'm assuming one set of white/black is coming from another outlet and the other pair is going on to the next.

The trouble is, this Intermatic outlet only has three wires; a single white, black, and ground.  I'd really rather not burn my house down, so I'm reluctant to just twist all the whites together, all the blacks together, ground it and call it a day.

Will this Intermatic outlet work with my house's wiring?

Much appreciated in advance.

Offline kkl

Re: Wiring on an Intermatic outlet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:40:02 am »
Unless the outlet is switched (i.e. one plug switched, one plug always hot), it should work the way you've described.  One set of wires is coming from the power source, the second set of wires is going to the next outlet down the circuit.

Offline TheAmorphous

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:15:24 am »
Unless the outlet is switched (i.e. one plug switched, one plug always hot), it should work the way you've described.  One set of wires is coming from the power source, the second set of wires is going to the next outlet down the circuit.

It's this guy right here, so it does appear to be the case that one is switched and one always hot.  So is that a no-go?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:13 am »
For this outlet:

1. Securely wire nut all(2) the grounds together.
2. Securely wire nut all(3) the whites together.
3. Securely wire nut all(3) the blacks together.

This is the simplest hardwired installation of them all. If this one gives you trouble or uncertainty, get an electrician to do them.

Offline kkl

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 11:08:22 am »
It's this guy right here, so it does appear to be the case that one is switched and one always hot.  So is that a no-go?
I don't follow.  What does the fact that you want to install an HA01C have to do with your current wiring?  If what you have currently is not a split outlet, wire as Z-Waver suggests.  If it is split (one plug switched, one plug always hot), you can cap off the switched wires and wire the HA01C to the always-hot wires.  Your switch wouldn't control anything then.

Edit:  If you really need a Z-wave switched duplex outlet, Leviton apparently sells one:  http://www.smarthome.com/45076/Leviton-VRR15-1LZ-Z-Wave-Vizia-RF-Split-Duplex-Receptacle/p.aspx

Edit:  Also, just for clarification, on the HA01C, one of the outlets is labeled SWITCHED.  This is Z-wave switched, not switched by a wall switch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:24:01 am by kkl »

Offline TheAmorphous

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:41:36 am »
For this outlet:

1. Securely wire nut all(2) the grounds together.
2. Securely wire nut all(3) the whites together.
3. Securely wire nut all(3) the blacks together.

This is the simplest hardwired installation of them all. If this one gives you trouble or uncertainty, get an electrician to do them.

Gotcha.  I figured that would be the case, but wanted to make certain.  When asked if one was switched above I assumed they were referring to the z-wave outlet, not the existing one. 

guest13871

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »
Take a look at the old outlet.  The 2 white wires go to 2 silver terminals.  The 2 black wires go to 2 gold terminals.  Each set of 2 terminals (the 2 silver terminals or the 2 gold terminals) have a jumper strip of metal connecting them to short the 2 white wires to each other and the 2 black wires to each other.  If the metal strips are intact then the outlet is normally wired.  If the strip between the black terminals is broken then the outlet is either switched or independently wired for some other reason.

If the strips are intact on both the silver terminals and the gold terminals then as stated by someone earlier securely twist all the whites together (with a wire nut) and securely twist all the blacks together (again, with a proper wire nut) and securely twist the green(s) and/or bare wires together.

If the strip on the gold terminals is broken then get an electrician.