We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Alerts lag  (Read 1958 times)

Offline stewbuntu

• Sr. Newbie
Vera Alerts lag
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:54:49 am »
why are the alerts instance sometimes on some devices, stall or take a while on other tablets/devices, and sometime stall and have a flood of alerts come in from the past 20 minutes. I can have two android cell phones same model on wifi, actively just did a google search so wifi is active. I then open the door and one is instant another is delayed and then that sequence can change on the other device (so it's not a device specific delays), sometimes all devices are instant. Sometimes all devices take 15 minutes to receive alerts.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Vera Alerts lag
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 11:25:03 am »
This is most likely an issue on the google side and not Veralerts. Once the message is received on the Veralerts side, it pushes it to google and than google will handle the rest.

- Garrett

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:39:09 am »
This has a lot to do with the application set/usage you have on the phone.
Google's GSM will throttle back notifications, and group them, if it thinks you are getting to many notifications.

This is an attempt to save the battery life on your phone.

Offline stewbuntu

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:38:56 am »
@richard - I just got back from fishing in the keys sorry for the late reply.. With the note 2 my battery life is never an issue, any clue on how to bypass this grouping of notifications. I'll google around tomorrow for it also.

Thanks for the replies guys

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:07 am »
Sounds like fun ... I hope the big one didn't get away.

This is a Google thing ... I do not know if they have any options to control the behavioir.

Offline capjay

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 10:13:34 am »
why are the alerts instance sometimes on some devices, stall or take a while on other tablets/devices, and sometime stall and have a flood of alerts come in from the past 20 minutes (...)

the same happened to me using another app that sends push notifications to Android. After troubleshooting I found it's the result of the infamous Android bug that causes delayed push notifications in some circumstances (see  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/X0j2BgCVQjI/jkpUW0aI3uIJ )

the best fix I found was to run this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer (requires rooting the device)

Offline stewbuntu

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:13:52 pm »
THANKS!