Author Topic: Locks? Yale, Kwikset or Schlage  (Read 13833 times)

cue003

Locks? Yale, Kwikset or Schlage
« on: May 12, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »
I notice as I am reading that many people have the kwikset lock configuration more than I see mention of the yale or Schlage setup. Can anyone comment on why the kwikset over the others mentioned especially since the new 2013 Schlage has motorized deadbolt?

I am considering the new 2013 Schlage Camelot Touchscreen with motorized deadbolt.  Should i look at a kwikset or yale setup instead? 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:03:47 am by cue003 »

LH

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Locks? Kwikset or Schlage
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
I have the Yale lock, and I've been very happy with it. Have you looked at that one?

cue003

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:00:09 pm »
I have not heard of or considered the Yale brand of locks.  What made you choose the Yale over the others?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:05:46 pm by cue003 »

beerguy

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:18:36 pm »
+1 for Yale. Deciding factor for me was security issue on Kwikset and non-motorized deadbolt on Schlage. Have installed 4 Yale push button deadbolts and all have been great.

LH

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:24:23 pm »
I liked the physical stylings of the unit - or rather my wife does :)

I was where were you in terms of looking at all ones that are out there...I found this review which was positive:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/yale_real_living_z-wave_deadbolt_review

Then I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Xi4zbmDzM

Pretty rugged!

I was told, but have not confirmed this, that the Yale Lock is considered more secure since you have to enter your code THEN press *. The other locks when you enter the proper code it will unlock once you enter the final (correct) digit.

Again, maybe slightly more secure...but I liked that approach.

It is NOT cheap. I may get Schlage and try that on another door in my house so I can better compare them.

I've been very happy with the Yale. really really happy.

johnfdl

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:18:07 am »
Schlage deadbolts did not initially offer a motorized deadbolt, which is sort of important for home automation.  I have the non-zwave non-motorized schlage deadbolts on my entry doors to the house and they are well designed.  Prior to them, I had the non zwave but motorized kwickset and they failed to operate after 8 months but since under warrantee were replaced free of charge by the mfr.  So now that I am getting a vera and doing the home automation gig, I am looking at replacing the entry deadbolts.  My inclination is to go with schlage since they woked well for me in the past and kwikset failed on me.  But I've read several posts here where people have trouble pairing schlage with vera and other posts where yale batteries deplete quickly (tho this appears to be mitigated by a variable change in the script).

For me, I also like the 10 buttons on schage and yale vs the 5 buttons on kwikset.  I think schlage also used to be limited to 4 digit pins while kwicket pins could be 6 or 8 perhaps.  I think the schlage now will allow pin length > 4 digits.  I like the idea the previous poster mentioned where you have the press the * button after the pin before the lock unlocks.

cue003

Re: Locks? Yale, Kwikset or Schlage
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:47:41 am »
From what I have found, the new Schlage that was released early 2013, has the motorized deadbolt and also allows for 4-8 digit codes (all codes must be the same length) and has some built in alarm features as well as a 30 sec auto lock feature.   

I am looking into the 2013 Schlage vs the Yale now.  I too don't like the kwikset doubling up of numbers on the keypad.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 06:04:50 am by cue003 »

LH

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 05:58:06 am »
Not sure about the Shlage, but on my Yale Lock once I connect it up to the MCV each code can be any length when programmed via the MCV UI.

I have some that are 8, some 6 and others 5. I also like that flexibility.

Piwtorak

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 06:17:34 am »
I'm happy with my Yale deadbolt Touch screen on vera.

scenes and another events disparated without problem.

installation was easy and I can include my users in vera !
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

capjay

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:06:28 am »
+1 Yale, not to mention that the new Schlage locks are hit or miss when it comes to working with Vera smoothly..

Jamr

• 007 Systems
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 09:43:02 am »
Anyone know of differences on Zwave proximity distances?
I have my Kwikset about 15 feet away and I get a 2 out of 5 ration for positive connections. That means for every 5 openings, the lock will make a successful connection with the VL 2 times.
I have even put a Zwave repeater in between with no apparent benefit.

cue003

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:48:52 pm »
Looks like Yale released a model with NO key option at all.  Interesting.

http://www.yaleresidential.com/en/yale/yaleresidential-com/News/News/2013/NewsCategory/Yale-Key-Free-Touchscreen-Deadbolt/

I am creating a sheet that will hopefully help me make a better decision between the Yale and Schlage.  The only aspect of the Schlage that is popping out is the alarm feature (really just want the beep whenever the door is opened) and the level of security they are claiming for their lock.  Almost everything else I prefer the Yale for.

Thanks to you guys for bringing the yale to my attention.  The research continues.

qpcharry

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 02:32:27 pm »
I have installed Yale no key deadbolt and it works awesome. I have also installed the kwikset lock in garage door. :both door works awesome. Kwikset is a bit cheaper than Yale. Another big point with kwikset is all there locks are bump key free which is very very important feature plus they have lifetime warranty on their motor coz if the motor detects obstruction it recoils the deadbolt and try it again in total three times and then sounds a warning beep to inform about the obstruction.

LH

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »

The only aspect of the Schlage that is popping out is the alarm feature (really just want the beep whenever the door is opened)

My Yale lock claims it has an alarm if it is tapered with, but I've never tried to set it off.

johnfdl

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:58:20 pm »
I am creating a sheet that will hopefully help me make a better decision between the Yale and Schlage.  The only aspect of the Schlage that is popping out is the alarm feature (really just want the beep whenever the door is opened) and the level of security they are claiming for their lock.  Almost everything else I prefer the Yale for.

Thanks to you guys for bringing the yale to my attention.  The research continues.
Would love to see your spreadsheet.  Would you mind posting so we all can see and contribute thoughts?