Author Topic: aeon labs energy meter G2  (Read 33309 times)

Offline AZEngineer

Re: aeon labs energy meter G2
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »
AnotherRookie,

Do your 240VAC lines measure 240 when measured from phase to phase (hot wire to hot wire) or do they measure 240VAC from one wire to ground?  I suspect that they are just like standard household inputs and much like the solar system that I have on my house where the wires are at 240VAC when measure between the two hot wires but only at 120 when measured to ground.  If this is so then you don't need any changes to the system and it will work as is with each clamp around the separate phase wires coming into you breaker box from your micro inverters.  I am fairly sure about this because here in the US we don't usually use anything more than 120V per phase on residential applications.

If I am completely missing something and it really is single wire 240VAC to ground lines then I am not sure if 120VAC or 240VAC would make a difference since current is current.  You could probably use the meter as is to measure the current and then calculate the power based off the known voltage.  There is probably a way to multiply the variables by 2 to correct for the 240VAC voltage if you really need to.

If all else fails send me a message and I can try to help you offline.

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:55 am »
How are you guys physically connecting your meters?

I've just received one of these in the UK (single phase 240V), I ordered the 3 clamp version and was expecting the battery powered one with just the clamps on, so I could monitor 3 separate loads.  In my house I have the main electricity feed split between house and workshop,  I currently use a currentcost to monitor the total, house and workshop separately.  I was hoping to replace the currentcost with the Aeon.

This GEN2 version has 3 clamps and 3 bare 2-core flex on it, and seems to actually be aimed at a 3 phase installation.  Anybody know if / how I can make it work in my situation?

Thanks,

Martyn

Offline auto

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 01:45:35 pm »
AnotherRookie,

Do your 240VAC lines measure 240 when measured from phase to phase (hot wire to hot wire) or do they measure 240VAC from one wire to ground?  I suspect that they are just like standard household inputs and much like the solar system that I have on my house where the wires are at 240VAC when measure between the two hot wires but only at 120 when measured to ground.  If this is so then you don't need any changes to the system and it will work as is with each clamp around the separate phase wires coming into you breaker box from your micro inverters.  I am fairly sure about this because here in the US we don't usually use anything more than 120V per phase on residential applications.

If I am completely missing something and it really is single wire 240VAC to ground lines then I am not sure if 120VAC or 240VAC would make a difference since current is current.  You could probably use the meter as is to measure the current and then calculate the power based off the known voltage.  There is probably a way to multiply the variables by 2 to correct for the 240VAC voltage if you really need to.

If all else fails send me a message and I can try to help you offline.

AZEngineer-

AEON Labs is working on this with their engineers.  I moved the HEM G2 to my mains to use it as a net meter.  It does not seem as though the CTs are bidirectional and I only see positive watt readings even when I am exporting.  I tried all combinations of CT configurations with no change.  I contacted AEON who is looking into the matter. 

Out of frustration I ordered and installed a TED 5002-G and downloaded the TED plugin.  This unit is great and worked out of the box.  It also provides more info then that of the HEM.  Hopefully HEM will catch up soon.

Thanks

Offline Dboser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2014, 07:47:15 pm »
Dear forum,
I just purchase a DSB28-ZWUS and I am unable to pair it with my Vera3. Currently I do not have the HEM clamps connected to the power panel but the unit is plugged into 110 vac. I see the red led blink when attempting to pair but Vera doesn't grab it.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks for any help

Offline Dboser

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 01:17:46 pm »
Dear Forum,

Contacted Power Monitor supplier support and they advised the following. Go to last option of add devices ( advanced Z wave devices ) and scroll to the bottom. Change include toi exclude and timing to 90. Hit GO. Ensure Vera is responding. Now go back and change exclude to include and hit GO. Now press and hold the pairing button on the Power Monitor. Power monitor should blink rapidly. If it doesn't stop blinking, hit the pair button twice. My unit immediately paired with the Vera.

Hope this helps.

Offline AZEngineer

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »
Dear Forum,

Contacted Power Monitor supplier support and they advised the following. Go to last option of add devices ( advanced Z wave devices ) and scroll to the bottom. Change include toi exclude and timing to 90. Hit GO. Ensure Vera is responding. Now go back and change exclude to include and hit GO. Now press and hold the pairing button on the Power Monitor. Power monitor should blink rapidly. If it doesn't stop blinking, hit the pair button twice. My unit immediately paired with the Vera.

Hope this helps.

I was able to install my power meter which is about 25 feet from my Vera 3 and add it using option 1.  I think the 3ft away rule is nonsense.  I have added all sorts of devices without moving the Vera closer to them.

I did have a connection problem once with the HEM v2 that kept me from being able to register the device and if fixed that problem by preforming a reset of the HEM by holding the button down for 30 seconds or so.  After resetting the HEM and using the correct device configuration values I haven't had any problems.

Good luck...

Offline rascadecanya

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »
Hi
excuse me for my english :o

I have the 2 clamps european edition of this meter. I live in Spain (1wire+neutral). Standard voltage at 230v.
My power meter works perfectly.... at half load.

If I put for example a 150w lamp, it detects only 75. Put the 40w lamps, detects only 20. etc.
I think the power meter is prepared to install with 2 clamps in the main line. In the instruction's picture explain how put this, but don't work me. I think the only solution is can change the main voltage (I supose 240v) to 380v, which is the main voltage between phases. But I can't discover how to change this (parameter 1 is not operative yet).
I think all the problems in this forum is for that... If somebody discover how to change, please comment how do it. pleeeeeeease....

Offline GeniusJunk

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 06:49:09 pm »
@rascadecanya

The HEM G2 uses autodetection for Voltage, so parameter 1 does not exist anymore. One thing to note, you need to know what electrical power is running through your home. (Is it 3 phase 3 wire, 3 phase 4 wire, 1 phase, or 2 phase?)

You need to have the correct HEM version to get accurate readings.

I have also heard that parameter 101 needs to be set to either one of these values to 0x00 (0), 0x3F (63), 0x03 (3) while parameter 102 or 103 can be set to report the other clamps to get correct readings if you have an issue with incorrect readings. Can anyone confirm?

Offline yannicks

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 07:07:34 am »
Hello,

I have a Home Energy Meter G2 (2nd edition, version info : 3,3,67,1,5) with 3 clamps at home.

I live in France (230V), I have 1 phase power incoming only and I want to measure distincly the electric consumption on 3 separate phases to see the consumption of 3 different devices (for example : lamp, oven, boiler).
HEM is well recognized by Vera Lite and I see 3 different electric consumptions in Vera coming from 3 different devices. But the value is incorrect : I notice that the measured value is around 5 times lower than real value...

Do you have an explanation ? May be there are some specific parameters relative to my configuration to define ? (230V, 1 phase incoming, 3 different devices to be monitored by the 3 clamps)

Please help because I am lost !

Offline karlfi

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 09:27:33 am »
Hi,
I live in Italy and I have a 3 phase 3 wire. I had the same problems.
Specific configuration on parameter 101 return errors. I have found a stable configuration to read Watts every 60s and KWH every 4 minutes with this settings: 101 - 16131, 102 - 1794, 103 - 0, and 111 - 240, 112 - 30.
With this configuration I have no more spikes on KWH readings due to voltage readings.
The problems on Watts measure remain. I still have a reading 3 times (I suppose) less then real.
I've try to ask to Aeon support but their answer is that G2 use autodetection for Voltage.
At the moment the only workaround I have found is to use Power Arithmetic plugin.

But if someone have the right solution...

Offline brentonsav

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 05:11:34 am »
i have a two way meter on my property and feed in unused power from my solar panels to the grid. can someone confirm if and how this meter would work in light of this? i.e. will it simply show a negative number when I have power flowing the other way?

Offline peter.neil.nz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 12:03:34 am »
I have installed these on a customers site and generally works okay. Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 are updating as expected in the Vera but the primary node does not (i.e. the Watts have been the same for 2 weeks).  The root cause of this is because I have some weak z-wave links between the Vera and energy meter as shown by the polls don't work and I get the 'Unable to get any information on node'. I am wondering whether there are any tricks I can do to make the primary node to start updating correctly?  Going on site is a bit of an issue as it is 150KM away 

Offline patersom82

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:30 am »
Hi all,

I am just starting to going through this hassle with my new Home Energy Monitor G2.

I have switched device_file for D_PowerMeter1.xml (which automatically changes device_type to urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:PowerMeter:1 on the next re-start.

I have a single clamp version for single phase supply, for EU.

Can anyone provide other parameter settings for a single clamp EU version? 

Cheers!

Offline helraiser

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 06:19:09 pm »
How do you reset the KWH reading? I'm about to take my meter reading to send into the utility company and would like to reset right after.

Thx

Edit: found the answer at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=10753.0  I should've searched first.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:29:08 pm by helraiser »

Offline evoke

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 06:11:28 am »
3 people have been asking if they can use a 3 clamp HEM G2 to measure 3 different power sources like lamps etc and also 3 different live lines. It does not work like that. I have a 3 phase HEM and tried to use it as a 1 phase  meter in the UK (230V) single phase. I was getting incorrect readings from my meter when using one of clamps in the fuse box that has the live wire going in to the house.

I asked Aeon about using the 3 phase meter as a 1 phase meter and this is the response i got.

------------------------------------------------------
Hi evoke,

I believe you have bought the wrong product, if you are trying to install a 1 phase device, you will need to look for the HEM G2 1 phase.

The current HEM G2 you have is a 3 phase 4 wire which you should be able to confirm on the back of the HEM G2 you currently have.

Having the wrong version will give you wrong readings on the total kwh readings as there are different calculations.

The kwh, watt, voltage, and amp are all read from the clamps and calculated in the HEM.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Chris

Message Body:
Hello Aeotec,
I bought a Z-Wave Home Energy Meter Edition 2 with 3 phase from you. I wanted to use it in single phase mode in the EU. I looked at the instruction manuals on how to do that.
In the diagram in the manual for using the meter in 1 phase it looks like the lead 1 is used to power the meter. From messing around i found out that lead 3 is used to power the meter. Was this the correct lead? If i use lead 3 does that mean i have to use clamp 3 as well to get a proper reading in 1 phase? or do i use clamp 1 for 1 phase?
Are KwH,watt ,amps and voltage all read from the clamps or is amps and voltage read from the extra leads that are not clamps? Like the power supply lead which only has 2 wires.
Regards
evoke
------------------------------------------

How are you guys physically connecting your meters?

I've just received one of these in the UK (single phase 240V), I ordered the 3 clamp version and was expecting the battery powered one with just the clamps on, so I could monitor 3 separate loads.  In my house I have the main electricity feed split between house and workshop,  I currently use a currentcost to monitor the total, house and workshop separately.  I was hoping to replace the currentcost with the Aeon.

This GEN2 version has 3 clamps and 3 bare 2-core flex on it, and seems to actually be aimed at a 3 phase installation.  Anybody know if / how I can make it work in my situation?

Thanks,

Martyn

Hi
excuse me for my english :o

I have the 2 clamps european edition of this meter. I live in Spain (1wire+neutral). Standard voltage at 230v.
My power meter works perfectly.... at half load.

If I put for example a 150w lamp, it detects only 75. Put the 40w lamps, detects only 20. etc.
I think the power meter is prepared to install with 2 clamps in the main line. In the instruction's picture explain how put this, but don't work me. I think the only solution is can change the main voltage (I supose 240v) to 380v, which is the main voltage between phases. But I can't discover how to change this (parameter 1 is not operative yet).
I think all the problems in this forum is for that... If somebody discover how to change, please comment how do it. pleeeeeeease....

Hello,

I have a Home Energy Meter G2 (2nd edition, version info : 3,3,67,1,5) with 3 clamps at home.

I live in France (230V), I have 1 phase power incoming only and I want to measure distincly the electric consumption on 3 separate phases to see the consumption of 3 different devices (for example : lamp, oven, boiler).
HEM is well recognized by Vera Lite and I see 3 different electric consumptions in Vera coming from 3 different devices. But the value is incorrect : I notice that the measured value is around 5 times lower than real value...

Do you have an explanation ? May be there are some specific parameters relative to my configuration to define ? (230V, 1 phase incoming, 3 different devices to be monitored by the 3 clamps)

Please help because I am lost !