We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: GE On/Off Switch - Inconsistent control and polling frequency  (Read 2000 times)

Offline avstraq

I just bought a GE 45637 (the Iris version) and installed it. I can happily confirm that it does instant status updates. However, I cannot control it consistently from my phone (both via browser and app). Most of the time, the signal just gets resent about 4 times then fails. I'm wondering if the issue is frequent polling? It auto configured to poll the node no more than once per 60 seconds (still too frequent in my opinion). Any thoughts on why I can't control it consistently?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: GE On/Off Switch - Inconsistent control and polling frequency
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:23:00 am »
I just bought a GE 45637 (the Iris version) and installed it. I can happily confirm that it does instant status updates. However, I cannot control it consistently from my phone (both via browser and app). Most of the time, the signal just gets resent about 4 times then fails. I'm wondering if the issue is frequent polling? It auto configured to poll the node no more than once per 60 seconds (still too frequent in my opinion). Any thoughts on why I can't control it consistently?

No, it doesn't have Instant Status. But, if it is able to communicate directly with Vera, rather than routing through other nodes, Vera does see state changes(button presses) immediately. Instant Status updates are routed, the Jasco's state changes are not.

Your switches failure to respond to multiple retries sounds like a communication issue. Your switch is likely at the fringe of Vera's range or your routing is not sufficient. Failure of a device to respond to a Vera command has nothing to do with polling.

Offline avstraq

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:29 pm »
Z-Waver, thank you so much for your thorough response. You are right, the failure to respond may have been a communication issue. I removed the switch from my network then re-enrolled it. That did the trick and I can control it 100% of the time now.

I thought that this Iris version of the GE switch had Instant Status added, but like you said, in my case, this is probably due to a direct communication with my Vera.

On a related note, should I change the polling frequency? It is currently set at no more than once per 60 seconds, which to me means it gets polled once a minute. This was the way it auto-configured. Should I just leave it this way? Why or why not?

Thanks so much!

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:43:28 am »
Instant status is a licensed (i.e. patented) feature that not many manufacturers pay for. But there are some workarounds. AFAIK, the GE's are based on a workaround.

The poll setting, as you said, indicates the device will not be polled more than once every 60 second. It doesn't mean it gets polled once a minute. This depends on the number of devices in your network. Vera polls a device every 30 seconds, then 30 seconds later the next device, and so on.

Dezwaved at the moment...