We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest thermostat icons on Vera3 Dashboard/Overview...  (Read 5552 times)

guest15496

Nest thermostat icons on Vera3 Dashboard/Overview...
« on: May 18, 2013, 10:48:23 pm »
...under Climate, are showing up as missing picture, or perhaps it is some built-in image "missing" icon (see attached). I don't see any mention of this in the release notes on github. Is this a known or expected issue? I do remember there being limitations on icon coloring and display in the regular Devices view.

Also in Devices view, even though one of my Nest devices does not have the Fan wire hooked up (it was repurposed as a C wire) and the Fan switch does not appear in the nest.com page, the Devices view still has an Auto/On button for it.

Offline watou

Re: Nest thermostat icons on Vera3 Dashboard/Overview...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:41 pm »
...under Climate, are showing up as missing picture, or perhaps it is some built-in image "missing" icon (see attached). I don't see any mention of this in the release notes on github. Is this a known or expected issue? I do remember there being limitations on icon coloring and display in the regular Devices view.

Hey Bob,

Your screenshot looks slightly different from the "broken image" icons I see under 1.5.408, but it seems to be the same thing.  Here is what I understand about device icons:
  • if the plugin author provides full URLs to the device icons, they will show on the devices correctly whether you access your Vera locally or via the fwd*.mios.com servers.  However, the icons on the Dashboard -> Overview won't show, and you can see that the UI (in 1.5.408 at least) simply appends the full URL to the end of another partial URL, which of course doesn't work.
  • or, if the plugin author installs the icons locally on your Vera, they will show up correctly everywhere, unless you access your Vera through the fwd*.mios.com servers, in which case the device icons are simply replaced with the generic icons.
So, I made the first choice in the Nest (and ecobee) plugins to give full URLs to the icon files hosted on one of my public web servers, instead of installing the icons onto your Vera when the plugin installs.

If there were a third approach that allowed the device icons to appear correctly whether accessed locally or via the fwd*.mios.com servers, and also on the Dashboard -> Overview page, then I would change the plugin to implement that approach.  But I don't know if there is such a third approach, as I've never seen mention of it.

Also in Devices view, even though one of my Nest devices does not have the Fan wire hooked up (it was repurposed as a C wire) and the Fan switch does not appear in the nest.com page, the Devices view still has an Auto/On button for it.

It's tricky to hide/show controls (buttons, sliders) on devices so that doing so is a currently accurate representation of the device state.  I opened a problem report with MCV about this general issue but I got a less-than-satisfying response.  Aside from the buttons appearing, is either Auto or On highlighted, as if the non-existent fan is in either of those states?

Thanks, watou

guest15496

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:22:50 pm »
Thanks. For the first question, given those two options I probably would have made the same choice. Was a ticket opened for the broken URL processing.

For the second one, I have attached another png - the 2F device has no Fan wire. The Fan state for the 1F device is accurate. Not sure I understand what you mean by "currently accurate representation", I do understand that controls in Devices view are not real time but I think that's not what you mean.

Offline watou

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:03 pm »
Was a ticket opened for the broken URL processing.

I haven't opened a ticket about it since the page was marked "beta" in 1.5.408 I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the problem was obvious and would be fixed in a later firmware release.  I have an open issue on this here: https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/issues/17

For the second one, I have attached another png - the 2F device has no Fan wire. The Fan state for the 1F device is accurate. Not sure I understand what you mean by "currently accurate representation", I do understand that controls in Devices view are not real time but I think that's not what you mean.

For your 2F device, the plugin is probably not accounting for a system where there is no fan.  (I added https://github.com/watou/vera-nest-thermostat/issues/24 to remind me to include the fix in the v1.2 release.) Since I can't test that configuration here, I will scan the code to see if there is a proper way to detect that configuration in the JSON payload I get back, and at least not show the fan as being in either Auto or On mode.  As for hiding the Fan label and Auto and On buttons, that was the ticket I had opened about selectively hiding dashboard controls based on device state, and got back a less than actionable response.  I can hide controls using the Commands variable from the HaDevice1 service type (a comma-separated list of control codes found in the .json file), but the controls will not correctly track the device configuration, leading to even more confusion.  As in, setting the Commands variable to a different list of control IDs is not reflected in the UI until the UI is manually reloaded.

If you wanted to hide the fan Auto and On buttons yourself for the 2F thermostat device, you could add the Commands variable to that device like this on the Advanced tab, and then reload the UI:

New service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1
New variable: Commands
New value: hvac_off,hvac_auto,hvac_cool,hvac_heat,heating_setpoint,cooling_setpoint,hvac_state

(The above value omitted the fan_auto and fan_on control codes, so that they won't be shown, but the "Fan" text label will still be there.)

Also, it seems very odd to me that your HOME and Nest devices show the correct icons but your thermostat and humidistat devices have the generic icons.  I've never seen that before.  Is there anything "non-standard" about how you access the UI, and what is your firmware, etc.?  I would love to understand what's going on there.

watou
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:04:30 pm by watou »

guest15496

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:01 am »
Thanks. Personally I would open a Vera ticket for the URL issue, if only so that no one on the Vera side can claim ignorance later.

If in a no-fan situation you are unable to remove or grey out the Fan settings due to issues with their API, perhaps you can at least remove or grey out the blue button, or add a "No Fan" label below or some such.

Not sure what you mean by "can't test that config here" - are you not able to temporarily disconnect your fan wire? Regardless of whether you can do that or not, I can certainly help test your next release that contains this fix, but I don't want to make any manual changes to my devices right now.

I have the 1.5.459 firmware and Nest plug-in 1.0. The icons display properly in Chrome 26, just not in IE 10. I'm not concerned about that and the amount of effort I would personally put into chasing IE issues is finite and very small. But up to you.

Thanks

Offline watou

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 11:31:02 am »
Thanks. Personally I would open a Vera ticket for the URL issue, if only so that no one on the Vera side can claim ignorance later.

If in a no-fan situation you are unable to remove or grey out the Fan settings due to issues with their API, perhaps you can at least remove or grey out the blue button, or add a "No Fan" label below or some such.

Not sure what you mean by "can't test that config here" - are you not able to temporarily disconnect your fan wire? Regardless of whether you can do that or not, I can certainly help test your next release that contains this fix, but I don't want to make any manual changes to my devices right now.

I have the 1.5.459 firmware and Nest plug-in 1.0. The icons display properly in Chrome 26, just not in IE 10. I'm not concerned about that and the amount of effort I would personally put into chasing IE issues is finite and very small. But up to you.

Thanks

Hi Bob,

I've attached here a small change to two files for the Nest plugin.  (If you apply them, the plugin will report that it is 1.2 in the log, but it's not officially 1.2 until more changes and testing are completed.)

The only change from the unofficial 1.15 of the plugin (1.1 plus a fix for Vera 2 users) is that, if nest.com reports that a particular thermostat does not have a fan connected, then the "Fan" label and the "Auto" and "On" fan control buttons should be hidden, thereby leaving an empty column on the device in the dashboard.  The label and buttons may not in fact be hidden until you refresh your browser, but from then on, they should be hidden.  If you later rewire your thermostat to add a fan wire, the label and buttons should re-appear thereafter.

Since you offered to test, please upload the attached files to your Vera and tell me if they properly reflect fan support on your 1F vs. 2F thermostats.  If this change works as hoped, then you can count on this change being present in the official 1.2 plugin release.

Thank you,
watou

guest15496

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 12:56:22 pm »
Thanks. My current plug-in version shows on the Apps screen as 1.0 and then an asterisk ("1.0*").

In order to use these two files, do I need to be at 1.1 first?

Offline watou

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:36 pm »
Thanks. My current plug-in version shows on the Apps screen as 1.0 and then an asterisk ("1.0*").

In order to use these two files, do I need to be at 1.1 first?

It won't matter if you are at 1.0.  Applying the two files attached above won't introduce any problems when applied over 1.0. 

Since auto update on plugins hasn't worked in the past, there is a URL you could enter to update a specific plugin:

Code: [Select]
<VeraIP>:3480/data_request?id=update_plugin&Plugin=3116
But this isn't necessary at the moment.

watou

guest15496

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 01:33:01 pm »
Thanks. What I actually see are greyed out "Auto" and "On" text items for my 1F device now, but they are still there, as is the blue button, prtscr attached. This is in both IE and Chrome after multiple refreshes.

The grill and cooler are calling - probably I won't be doing anything more on this today...

Thanks

Offline watou

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »
What I actually see are greyed out "Auto" and "On" text items for my 1F device now, but they are still there, as is the blue button, prtscr attached.

OK, not listing the buttons and label in the "Commands" variable doesn't have the effect of hiding them like it does to the vertical sliders and maybe other control types.  Forgot about that.

The best I think I'm able to do at the UI level is to report that current fan mode is "Off" for a system with no fan, thereby removing the selected state for Auto so both buttons are greyed out and none is selectable.  While providing a fan mode of "Off" makes sense, it's not a standard fan mode, so if you use a mobile client as well as the web interface, make sure the 1F device looks right there as well.

Attached is a new I_Nest1.xml which ought to set the fan's mode to "Off" as long as nest.com reports that you don't have a fan wire connected (as well as disabling the fan buttons).  When you get a chance, please upload this file, restart the Luup engine, refresh the browser, and tell me if they fan controls are disabled thereafter.

Hope you had a good Memorial Day celebration.

Regards,
watou

Edit: Uploaded wrong file earlier; the currently attached file should work as described.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:55:59 pm by watou »

guest15496

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 08:10:43 pm »
Many thanks. Yes now the blue button is now gone (but the greyed out Fan, Auto and On text items are still there), which I believe is the expected behavior.

Regards

Offline watou

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:42:46 pm »
Many thanks. Yes now the blue button is now gone (but the greyed out Fan, Auto and On text items are still there), which I believe is the expected behavior.

Thanks for testing, Bob.  I committed those changes so they will appear in 1.2 of the plugin when it's ready.

watou