We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Fibaro Dimmer in 3 way setup ?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
Fibaro Dimmer in 3 way setup ?
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:17:23 pm »
all the Hints i found where from the GE systems .. which have a 3 way z-wave switch .. but they all foe 120 volts so far as i know.

so i had the short idea to simply keep the old switches as they are .. and connect a fibaro dimmer arround the lamp where i also have permanent power and ground avaiable.

question now is that doable ? using the secondary input of the fibaro dimmer ? or just with a single one ?

this would also solve my general Ground problem, since there is no ground wire avaiable in the walls with the switches.

1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: Fibaro Dimmer in 3 way setup ?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:19 pm »
Multiway wiring is simply a way of making several (or lots of) switches act as one - changing state on/off when any of the component switches is changed.  As such, there really ought to be two wires which come to the lamp from either end of this 'virtual switch'.  Connecting those up to the Fibaro module switch contacts, and wiring the live, neutral and lamp directly to the appropriate connectors of the module should work just fine.  You will need to set a configuration parameter (I think, #14 from memory) to say that you have bistable (ie. standard) switches.  (The dimmer module defaults to monostable switches) (You're not actually trying to dim, are you?).

Alternatively, replace the switches with momentary ones and then the wiring becomes very easy - you just wire them all in parallel across the module switch connectors.

Don't like the sound of not having an earth available at every wall box...
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:53:09 am »
Parameter 14 ... Thats what i searched for.

Well the original plan was to simply connect the dimmer between lamp and switches (just as usual)
The only issue was/is about if the input stays on

I had the plan to only on/off via the switches
But have the vera do dimm it down on some scenarios.

I have not figured out yet if its possible to have the switch input to always set to 100% (or 0%)

I guess your suggestion with momentary switches os alot more easy to realise.
1 VeraLite, 2 RaspberryPI, Harmony Remote, openLuup, 85 Devices, 34Nodes, 63 Triggers, 49 Scenes

Offline monions

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:38:23 am »
Hi,

Take a look at this application note that shows how to use the Fibaro Dimmer in 2-way and 3-way installations.

http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-2

Using momentary switches is the easiest way as they daisy chain as many times as you like.

The alternative, if you already have a 3-way installation, is to leave the switches as they are and wire the dimmer module Sx and S1 to the switch L1 and L2. I can create a diagram for you if that would help.

Mark.

Offline nullx8

• Trouble !
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 08:22:16 am »
i think i give it a try with the standard setup.
set parameter 14 and all good ...

i dont really worry about the switches, but it must be "wife-compatible" ;)
and i dont want to change too much (i dont own the house) and the electrical setup here let you grow gray hair if you see behind a switch.

based on that i think putting a fibaro dimmer near the lamp and pull permanent power is the most easy aproach (i guess)

the switches supposed to do "on/off" only, preferred would be the physical switches to trigger 100% and 0% (on off)
the dimming is done by the veralite depends on other criterias (well thats my plan)