We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Direct Associations  (Read 1350 times)

Offline BadPirate

Direct Associations
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »
Hi there,  I got Vera because I love tech, and because my 60 year old home was built in an era where the only thing that you needed to plug in were lamps.  Because of this, all of my room light switches were configured to turn off all the outlets in the whole room.  If fixed this using GE-45609 light switches, and GE-45605 Duplex receptacles.  I paired them all to the Vera, and setup scenes so that the switches and outlets turn off and on eachother in the right way.  However, setting this up using the controller has some disadvantages:

• Whenever Vera is out of the loop, lights stop working.
  • I also have locks on my network, and Vera doesn't multitask those very well, so locking a door remotely will cause all light switch actions to get backed up, sometimes for several seconds
  • There is always a noticeable delay for the light switch actions to take effect

I like to be able to control and see all the switches on Vera, I just wish there was some way to associate the light switches more directly to their associated outlets.

I've tried groups in Vera, and making the associations using a tricklestar secondary controller I have, but these things didn't provide any results :(  Is it possible?

Offline kkl

Re: Direct Associations
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:26 am »

• Whenever Vera is out of the loop, lights stop working.

My switches that are setup for association work without Vera being powered.  Vera just sets up the initial association.  I also have a brief delay, but it's a fraction of a second.  Perhaps there is some variation by brand (I'm using Intermatic).[/list]

Offline PurdueGuy

Re: Direct Associations
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:19:15 am »
GE switches and outlets do not support direct associations, unfortunately.   Nor do they support instant status to Vera.

You would need some switch the supports associations, or a z-wave controller that is scene capable (Leviton, etc).
Vera3, Leviton, Intermatic, SQ Blaster, HomeWave, DSC 1832, Insteon/Altsteon