Author Topic: Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave - worth getting?  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Aaron

Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave - worth getting?
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »
The other thread is huge and impossible to sift through so I thought it would be a good idea to get the opinions of the experienced people on a new thread to specifically discuss the pluses/minuses of the Intermatic PE653RC MultiWav system with the Vera.

I have seen these on ebay quite a bit for around $300 and tempted to get one if they will integrate with Vera properly?

I only have a single speed pump and light right now, but will be adding a variable pump and an actuator valve to control my waterfall when I do.

Please give thoughts, feedback, and experiences.

thank you!   ;D

Offline Aaron

Re: Intermatic PE653RC MultiWave - worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:48 am »
Really? No replies from owners?

Offline dkeefe

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:22 am »
it will work just fine for what you have now. if you do get one, you'll have to read through the whole thread anyways to get it running.

the value of multispeed pump support is questionable. I have a variable flow pump, and it just doesn't work with it. the variable speed pumps might be better.

for the waterfall valve, you'll need to buy an extra valve controller for about $200 to make that work. I have a similar setup with a fountain, and I don't feel it is worth the cost to add to the multiwave. ymmv.

Offline karmabiker

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:29:30 pm »
Disclaimer - I don't have a vera yet.  I opted to go with the 653 as a first step in automation.

For $300 I dont think you can beat it, 2 speed pump control works like a champ (ROI on the variable speed just wasnt there for me - you would need to be north of .20 kWh to get ROI over the life of the pump).  The fireman switch config for the heater, ability to add actuators later, remote control to run the whole mess....

My plan is to put the vera in place and have that be the brains of the operation eventually.  Nothing else out there in the pool world will allow that kind of integration and automation.  Especially when you start to consider things like automating chlorine injection based on anticipated demand using daily high temps ... that will be fun.

Offline Bb98

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:20:09 pm »
Worth getting - probably not unless you want to get into this whole home automation thing has a hobby.  I just replaced a defective Intermatic manual timer with the MultiWave and integrated it into my Vera lite.  I could have replaced the timer for about $60 but I am just getting into this new hobby.

I can now control the filter pump, the cleaner pump, the pool lights and the Raypak 266a heater from my Vera console, my ipad or my iPhone.  I also installed the temperature sensor so I can see the temperature through Vera.

I've set up a couple of scenes and schedule to turn things on and off.  Turn the filter pump on at 6:00 a.m, delay 1 minute then turn on the cleaner pump.  Another scene turns them both off a few hours later.

I plan to create a scene / schedule that runs in the late afternoon, checks the heater set point, checks the temperature and decides if the heater should be turned on so the water is warmed up by the time I get home.   Of course what I really need right now is a water chiller, not a heater  :D

Worth it - well it looks like it will all work and when you add in the "cool factor" - absolutely!
Vera Plus 20 switches/dimmers, Garage Door Opener, Thermostat, Pool Control - Pump, Sweeper and Lights | Bose SoundTouch | Amazon Echo Spot and Dot | Sony AVR