We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Best switches? Jasco/GE z-wave switches versus Leviton Vizia switches. Others?  (Read 15862 times)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Sorry, I was confused on your question. No, you have to use the proper corresponding switch. So for leviton, you have to use the proper companion / accessory switch to work in a 3-way setup. same goes for GE. Intermatic you can use a standard switch. But these are discontinued.

- Garrett

Offline neverdie

I just installed a GE 45609, and a couple things I notice are:
1.  The blue LED on the GE45609 seems more visible under bright room lighting than the Leviton green LED's.  At least for me, this is a plus.
2.  There is noticeable latency between toggling the GE45609 manually and the relay engaging/disengaging to be either on/off.  At least for me, that is a minus.  The equivalent Levitons that I have seem instantaneous.  I wouldn't mind using the GE45609 to control an exhaust fan, or something which already has some amount of inherent latency.  A smidge more latency wouldn't be noticeable.  However, I don't think I would like the GE45609 for controlling lights that are instant-on. 

Today I ordered a Cooper Aspire RF9501 and should get it next week.  I hope it's awesome, because other than Leviton, GE, and Aspire, I've not heard anyone tout the virtues of any other switches.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Some folks that like a Dark room for there Movie rooms hate the LEDs and wish they could turn them off.
So the less light is actually a bad thing.

I guess an optional intensity would make, with a max that would make you happy might make others happy ... unless you hate to configure things ;)

Offline neverdie

I can sympathize with that.  Those people might like the GE switch, because you can flip the LED status to be off when the lights are out and on when the lights are on.  An LED in a dark room can sometimes be too noticeable, especially when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Offline NickTheGreat

I just installed a GE 45609, and a couple things I notice are:
1.  The blue LED on the GE45609 seems more visible under bright room lighting than the Leviton green LED's.  At least for me, this is a plus.
2.  There is noticeable latency between toggling the GE45609 manually and the relay engaging/disengaging to be either on/off.  At least for me, that is a minus.  The equivalent Levitons that I have seem instantaneous.  I wouldn't mind using the GE45609 to control an exhaust fan, or something which already has some amount of inherent latency.  A smidge more latency wouldn't be noticeable.  However, I don't think I would like the GE45609 for controlling lights that are instant-on. 

Today I ordered a Cooper Aspire RF9501 and should get it next week.  I hope it's awesome, because other than Leviton, GE, and Aspire, I've not heard anyone tout the virtues of any other switches.

I've only installed one Z-Wave switch (the rest are lamp modules and such) on my under counter kitchen lights.  I thought the little lag was due to them being fluorescent.   :D

Offline NickTheGreat

I can sympathize with that.  Those people might like the GE switch, because you can flip the LED status to be off when the lights are out and on when the lights are on.  An LED in a dark room can sometimes be too noticeable, especially when I'm trying to fall asleep.

I like the bright blue light if it is a dark hallway and you want to see the light.  But for a theater or bedroom I would reverse it.  I notice ANY little light in a room when I'm sleeping.   :o

Offline cue003

For as expensive as the Aspire switches are, too bad they don't support beaming.  That would be great if it did and that would make them the best all around solution then.  Albeit a super pricey one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:13:16 am by cue003 »