Author Topic: DSD37-ZWUS Aeon Labs Z-Wave Repeater Compatability  (Read 4711 times)

PMaxxxK

• Sr. Newbie
DSD37-ZWUS Aeon Labs Z-Wave Repeater Compatability
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:49:22 am »
Does anyone know if the DSD37-ZWUS Aeon Labs Z-Wave Repeater is compatible with a VERA Lite?

The spec sheet says it supports Z-Wave Spec Sheet says it supports Beaming and Network Security but NOT AES-128 Security.

If this is not compatible does anyone know of a plug in repeater that is?

My application is that I am trying to extend coverage to reach 5 Yale Real Living Touchscreen Z-Wave Locks.

If anyone has any additional feedback on my intention please feel free to chime in.

*I did search the model number and Z-wave repeaters in the forum and did not find the clear answers I was looking for.

Piwtorak

Re: DSD37-ZWUS Aeon Labs Z-Wave Repeater Compatability
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »
one time ago I speak about this, but how I get was this extender works like any zwave device.
But I think Aeon must put something more in this.
If you already bought, please try it and let us know the results. an extender is good thing for extend zwave networks.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

PMaxxxK

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »
Just got the following reply back from Aeon Labs Support. They actually got back to me within an hour and it looks like everything should work just fine.

"Thank yo for youur inquiry. Yes, our repeater will work with Vera Lite or Vera3, its generally plug, add to network, and it will repeat your z-wave commands for you. Its a pretty simple gadget, and it should work with all available z-wave devices.

The repeating function is bi-directional, it acts as a amplifier for all z-wave signals within the network.

I have attached the instruction manual, it is pretty much everything I have said so far, but it goes more into details with our minimote and z-stick.

Best Regards,
Chris"

Piwtorak

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:03 pm »
good.
I will buy one for tests.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

PMaxxxK

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »
I sent a follow up to find out what their range is being quoted as. I will update when I get that info.

S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:41:56 pm »
I imagine that this gizmo is nothing more than a Z-Wave device with no utility. Why not just get a Z-Wave outlet or something like that? Aren't Z-Wave plug in modules cheap? How much does this thing cost? Sounds like easy money for Aeon Labs (or whatever they call themselves these days).
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

cue003

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:58:07 pm »
I wonder if it supports beaming.  This would be great if it did. It is a simple plug in to a wall outlet. All Z-Wave locks include a "beaming" technology that puts the lock into a "sleep" mode to conserve battery power. Because of this, only "beaming-compatible" devices can communicate with the lock.

I see you asked them if it would work with Vera but did you clarify you extension needs especially around the Yale touchscreen locks and beaming?  They need to answer specifically on whether or not the device supports beaming.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:34:05 pm by cue003 »

PMaxxxK

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 04:29:23 am »
I received confirmation last night about the range of the product which is 100' indoors. Reply is quoted below.
"The range of the Repeater is the same as any other Z-Wave device.

General Z-Wave Ranges:
Outdoor - about 100 meters or 300ft max in open air
Indoor - about 30 meters or 100ft max

typically, the range depends on the environment the z-wave devices are placed. The repeater will act as an extension of the same Z-Wave frequency length. Refrigerators, walls, etc. will mess with the signal a little bit, so sometimes you may have to move things closer together."

These look to be going for about $40. 

I have a confirmation from the Z-Wave Alliance Conformance sheet that this product supports beaming and network security. It does not look like I can attach the PDF so here is the link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CFYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fproducts.z-wavealliance.org%2Fproducts%2F752%2Fpics&ei=BAm7UcWlFva34AP3joHIDQ&usg=AFQjCNFB_GWRIhb62kyoED7-5BbUASOuQA&bvm=bv.47883778,d.dmg

DaveL17

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:23:58 pm »
ASIHome has them for $32.95 on Amazon.  I just ordered a couple.

mdelprin

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »
They DO support beaming.

DaveL17

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:52:11 am »
FYI ASIHome is back ordered on these; they expect to get me mine in mid-August.

unclfuzzy

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:19 am »
I bought a three pack of these and paired them with Nexia with no problem.  All I have at home so far is two z-wave deadbolts so I haven't set up my Vera yet.  Once the Nexia trial period is over I'll ditch it, and when the alarm system is in and I can get my hands on some US spec fibaro dimmer modules I'll start getting serious with Vera.

oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:12:14 am »
I imagine that this gizmo is nothing more than a Z-Wave device with no utility.
I was thinking exactly that when this device popped up. :-\ And having it in your network, is no guarantee that it will actually be used, I guess. Unless you're really careful about placing it, manipulating / monitoring the routing in Vera, etc.

AndersH

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »

Any further experience to share on this topic?
I need the best router / repeater I can get (I have to bridge a gap between two houses). Is there any evidence that the dedicated Aeon repeater is better at this than any other module? If not I think I'll stick to my Fibaro modules...
Vera Lite, SRT321 thermostat, Fibaro door sensors, switches and dimmers

DeltaNu1142

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 02:22:32 am »
I was thinking exactly that when this device popped up. :-\ And having it in your network, is no guarantee that it will actually be used, I guess. Unless you're really careful about placing it, manipulating / monitoring the routing in Vera, etc.
I was thinking the same...  just a gimmick.  But on the subject of beaming, what other plug-in devices support beaming?  This is not to hijack, just as a matter of comparison to AL's repeater.
Vera 2 @ UI5 | HomeWave