We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 12v switch for outdoor lights  (Read 1954 times)

Offline tek

• Sr. Newbie
12v switch for outdoor lights
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:43 pm »
My house have several outdoor 12v downlights, in total 50 in different areas.
They are all linke together to the same 230v->12v dc tranformator.

I would like to split some of them into zones, With individual Controlling.
have not been able to find any z-wave Devices that is for europe that is 12v Powered and can do this.

Is it possible to use a 433mhz Device, like this one from ebay and add 433mhz support to my micasaverde?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/315-433MHz-DC12V-Single-Channel-Learning-Code-Wireless-Remote-Control-Relay-Modi-/360673965152?pt=AU_Electronics_Vintage_Electronics&hash=item53f9d7f460

Offline mano

Re: 12v switch for outdoor lights
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:26:07 am »
You could use the Fibaro FGBS321 unit which has 2 Voltage free outputs and is also DC powered. The only issue you will also need to make sure, is that the output from these contacts are for very low current switching, may be in mili-amps rather than Amps. What you will need to do is to use these and drive couple of DC slave relays with suitable contact rating you require.
Also, the Fibaro unit have given some issues to people when Including into Vera.

The approach is a bit of a HeathRobinson.

The cheaper/simpler option may be is to use 2 Appliance controllers and then have 2 separate DC transformers to your lights.

Offline Frasier

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:00:50 pm »
You can't switch the outputs on the Fibaro binary sensor from Vera. They only respond to changes in their respective input lines.

Offline ralphxj

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:33:19 am »
I'm new to z-wave (first post!) and haven't even ordered my Vera yet. However, I have done a ton of research on various different applications I will need to wire.

I would setup a bank of Remotec Dry Contact switches (one for each zone you setup). They are basically relays which are activated with 110v (just wire them to plug into a normal wall outlet) then when switched on, they turn on the relay, which would send the 12v power out to your lights.

Basically your doing the same thing that people do with garage doors, when the switch is turned on, it opens the relays and sends out the lower voltage.