We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 2 or more Sonos Bridge (posting here because not a specific place for sonos)  (Read 20250 times)

Offline Piwtorak

Hi Piwtorak

Keep in mind that Sonos is designed to create a mesh network.. And if you want to access a local network resources (NAS) or Internet resources (Radio/streaming) then you need to connect one node to your home network/broadband connection?

It's very strange that just adding a bridge to your router makes you home network unavailable, have you tried connecting your Connect to the router rather than the bridge? Does that do the same thing ?

Also when you connect either Sonos device to your home network, can you use a tool to see if the Sonos devices appear on the same network/subnet etc.  they both should be given an IP?

One last thing to ask - have you added/included them both on the Sonos Mesh Network via the Sonos Controller (PC,iPhone,android)?

Hi ParkerC.

I think the problem is when I added my Sonos Bridge I had one unit sonos 3 connected by cable to my network. today this sonos 3 continues connected and I was forced to keep my sonos bridge out of my cabled network, but all is working fine when I add one new device I click in my sonos bridge button to add. I will try plug off my sonos 3 from ethernet cable and plug sonos bridge to my router...
thanks for all helping to clarify this.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline Piwtorak

ParkerC,

I have to install a lot of sonos device and I am with a doubt, I cable whole home, can I use all my sonos devices plugged to my network using lan cable ?

the house is big and I think can have problem using wifi...

If I use all sonos devices cabled, must I use a sonos bridge ?

thanks for help.
Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
  • Life Moves Pretty Fast....
I don't think there is nothing to stop you having them all of the connected to your homenetwork via a cable..   (You would not need the bridge if you do this, but it would defeat some of the value of a wireless multiroom system)

Actually I'm not sure if this would work, I've never tried it myself, as I assume Sonos needed it's own mesh to work.

The Sonos mesh is really quite good, (Sonos uses it's own sonosnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos#Wireless_mesh_network) so they'd have to be a big distance between any two zone players for the mesh not to have the strength it needs to work effectively.  How far a part would any two be?

Think of the Sonos set up as simular to a z-wave mesh network, which means it will route information/data to the required zone player via any other zone player(s) on the route ..

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:55:20 pm by parkerc »

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
Have a read of this. I know reading instruction is not the way we may like to do things, but sometimes it may contain the answer to the questions we are answering.  In this case, it is clear.

http://www.sonos.com/documents/productguides/en/bridgeguide_en.pdf

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
Thanks @Brientim

And @Piwtorak - A bridge is only needed when you don't want to tie one of your (more expensive) Zone Players to a wired network connection. If you have a zone player right next to a network port then it can easily act as the 'bridge' allowing you to then access other resources (Internet radio, NAS etc.)

Offline Piwtorak

thanks for the tips and patience...

I will have at least 10 sonos devices between bars and sonos 3 and sonos 5

I will start pluging each one to my lan with wire because I have this wire available in each point I will have a sonos device in this switch I will have my router with dhcp enable and giving ip address for each one.

if this works I will keep,, and avoid use wifi for this...

let you know how it happens, next week I will work with this.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
@Piwtirak,

You really do want to set fixed IP address or IP reservations on your router.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/417/~/setting-a-static-ip-address-on-a-sonos-component

You can also use your sonos bridge as a bridge for other than sonos devices as well and hence the extra Ethernet ports.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
You can also use your sonos bridge as a bridge for other than sonos devices as well and hence the extra Ethernet ports.

On a related note I piggy back a Tenvis IP network camera off of one of the wired ports on my Sonos Connect:  it works great ..

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
This is one of the main feature we should expect in HA multi-uses and integration.

Offline parkerc

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
Totally agree, I just wish Sonos also provided power over Ethernet

(POE is a missed opportunity for me, on so many things, I would love to avoid the hassle of yet another power supply ;)) I've bought a number of splitters but they are still bulky and get in the way..