We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Notifications - A Sensor is tripped vs An Armed Sensor is tripped  (Read 4487 times)

Offline zafari

Hi All

This is my 3rd week with my Vera3 and I am absolutely loving it, but I have become a bit stuck.

I have a NX8 (3 Partitions & 48 zones) with a 8 port relay module and the 584 automation module and have been playing with Futzle's plugin for the last few weeks. His plugin is the reason why I purchased the Vera3 in the first place. Its very cool and fast to respond.
I have notifications successfully setup with both the builtin Vera and using Push Notifications to my iOS devices.

I have stumbled across two things that I cannot find an answer to and hope that someone here can help me.

The first issue is regarding Triggering notifications when the zones are either in an armed or disarmed state.
Normally one would require a notification for when a particular zone is tripped when its armed, this is how I have setup the trigger. But this thing sends notifications even when the device is not armed.

So in summary, if the event is "A sensor is tripped" or "An armed sensor is tripped" both will send a notification.
Is there something that i am missing here ?

The second issue is regarding having the NX8 include the breached zone in a notification when configured to do so via the Alarm Partition. I have double checked all my settings on the NX8 and can confirm that the only two items unchecked in the plugins "configure" tab is Debug and Panic. I would really appreciate some help in this regard if possible.

Regards,

Neil

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Notifications - A Sensor is tripped vs An Armed Sensor is tripped
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:26:30 pm »
Not sure how futzle has the sensor code for the panel (by the way futzle is a she). But for the DSC plugin the arm / bypass buttons no correlation with the alarm panel. They are completely separate and will not change fromm bypass to arm if the panel is armed and vis versa. I believe the same goes for the this plugin. If this is the case you'll have to create a scene and setup a trigger when the alarm panel is armed, to set all of the sensors to arm state and another scene with a trigger when the alarm is disarmed and set all of the sensors to bypass.

- Garrett

Offline zafari

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:57:22 am »
Thanks for the reply Garrett and apologies to Futzle.

I have had a look again and can confirm the when the system is in armed or away mode all the devices do change their state from bypass to armed and vice versa.

Any other ideas ?

Neil

Offline futzle

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:28:15 am »
There is a difference between armed zones and armed partitions.

A zone is either "Armed" or "Bypassed" in Vera. This corresponds exactly to a zone in the Caddx panel being "Not Bypassed" or "Bypassed". (Unlike other MiOS alarm panel plugins, these two states are tied together: if you bypass a zone using the alarm panel keypad, the state changes on the Vera dashboard, and vice versa.)

A partition is either "Armed" or "Disarmed" (there are subtypes of each for things like entry/exit delays, stay/partial mode). This corresponds to the alarm panel state that you control when you enter a PIN.

Whether a zone is Armed or not is independent of whether a partition is Armed or not. You should be familiar with this behaviour because it's how the Caddx panel works by itself without any Vera plugin.

The events on zones use the same wording as the standard Vera motion sensor devices. In the context of the Caddx plugin, they might better be phrased "A zone is tripped while it is not bypassed" and "A zone is tripped irrespective of its bypass state". In both cases, the events ignore partition Armed status.

Take a moment to confirm to yourself that this is how the plugin actually behaves.

It looks like what you want is an event "A zone is tripped while it is not bypassed AND it is in a partition that is armed". There is no such event. Vera events can only reference a single device, and the event you want depends on two devices: the zone and the partition.

There are workarounds. If you don't care which zone got tripped then there are events on the partition device that react to the partition's armed state and siren state. If you do care which zone, then you've essentially got an AND condition which can be solved with either the PLEG or Combination Switch plugins. I'm glossing over details like entry delay, but the idea is sound.

Including the zone name in a breach notification is ... tricky. The Caddx serial protocol doesn't identify the culprit zone that breached a partition. That's not too surprising because the Caddx alarm panel has concepts like handover zones so there isn't necessarily "a" zone that breached the partition. The closest thing is a Log Event message of type 0, but Log Events are poorly documented and they may or may not work for you. It may be simplest to just have a scene for each zone and hardcode its name into that scene's Luup code.

Offline zafari

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:54:47 am »
Thanks for the reply Futzle.

I suppose what I am looking for is the following...

When Partition X is in either armed or away mode and the Partition is breached (siren going off) the breached zone/s should then send a notification stating what zone was breached. This would probably have to be a custom message. If the Partition is not armed then there should not be any notifications.

If I understand what you are saying then this would be possible with a combination of Scenes and plugins.

I am just not sure where to start with this.

Offline zafari

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:06 am »
I have found your Combination Virtual Switch plugin topic (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,10995.0.html) and will troll through this and see how far I get.

Thank you