We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Honeywell Touch Screen Thermostat - RTH9580WF1005  (Read 29814 times)

Offline 1tufgt

• Sr. Newbie
Honeywell Touch Screen Thermostat - RTH9580WF1005
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:56:02 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a plugin that would make this thermostat compatible with vera?

I'm trying to decide between this or the nest thermostat.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
Re: Honeywell Touch Screen Thermostat - RTH9580WF1005
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:38:26 am »
I have not seen any mention of one for this thermostat. You are probably much better off buying the nest and using the plugin that is already available.

- Garrett

Offline 1tufgt

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:05:46 pm »
I have not seen any mention of one for this thermostat. You are probably much better off buying the nest and using the plugin that is already available.

- Garrett

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

guest13871

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
I purchased that thermostat and returned it.  It's a really nice thermostat and I liked it more than the Nest I replaced it with but it has a very serious flaw.  The temperature reading is very erratic.  One minute it reads 76 degrees (even though another thermometer right next to it reads 72) so it turns on the A/C, then 5 minutes later the A/C goes off and when I checked the thermostat it said it was 69 degrees!  I returned it and got another thinking it was defective but the new one (from a different store, so not likely a bad lot) showed the same results.  Look at the online reviews; you will see this is a common complaint.  Lowes stopped carrying them, probably because they were taking so many returns.

Too bad.  I much preferred it to the Nest, if only it worked....

Offline markintx

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:49:44 pm »
I like the Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 with the Zwave already built in. Easy integration to Vera 3 and
It is fully adaptable to mult-stage Heat Pumps and Furnaces. I like it so much I have one in main house and vacation home. I just wish it had a more comprehensive plugin show run status. Have not seen the temp issue mentioned on this one...
2x Vera3, 2x Honeywell ....1007 thermostats, Vista 20P, EVL-3, 14x Ge/Jasco 45609/10 switches, Outlets

Offline 1tufgt

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 11:49:35 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, has anyone tried to integrate the honeywell RTH8580WF1007 to their veralite system?

I was looking at that one also since it's a ton cheaper.

markintx, I'll have to look into that thermostat also but still need to pick up a veralite.

Offline SOlivas

Vera 3 (1.5.622) / 9x GE/Jasco 45609 / 2x GE/Jasco 45612 / 2x GE/Jasco 45614 / 1x MIMO Lite
1x Twine (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15617.0.html), DSC Security System, Honeywell  YTH8320ZW1007 Thermostat, 1x Fortrezz WWA-01, 1x CA9000 Wireless PIR Sensor

Offline cue003

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:09:26 am »
I purchased that thermostat and returned it.  It's a really nice thermostat and I liked it more than the Nest I replaced it with but it has a very serious flaw.  The temperature reading is very erratic.  One minute it reads 76 degrees (even though another thermometer right next to it reads 72) so it turns on the A/C, then 5 minutes later the A/C goes off and when I checked the thermostat it said it was 69 degrees!  I returned it and got another thinking it was defective but the new one (from a different store, so not likely a bad lot) showed the same results.  Look at the online reviews; you will see this is a common complaint.  Lowes stopped carrying them, probably because they were taking so many returns.

Too bad.  I much preferred it to the Nest, if only it worked....

Can you provide some more info on what/why you preferred the Honeywell over the Nest?  I am trying to make a decision between the 2.

Thanks.

guest13871

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:28 pm »
Can you provide some more info on what/why you preferred the Honeywell over the Nest?  I am trying to make a decision between the 2.

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response; I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be.  To me the Nest is Apple Minimalist.  The display is normally off (can't read it unless you stand right in front of it to turn it on).  When it is on the only thing it tells you is the temperature you have it set for.  Duh.  I know what I set it for; I would much prefer to know what the actual temperature is!  Just look at the Nest suggestion page; I'm not the only saying this!

The Honeywell gave a ton of information just looking at the display, including the current temperature and the set temperature.  The display stays on, although the backlighting dims significantly to save power after a timeout.

The Nest is Internet-centric.  Trying to setup the thermostat directly is time consuming and difficult, since you must constantly turn the dial and click the center to select anything (typing in information like the wireless password is painful).  It was really designed for you to perform a minimal setup on the thermostat and then use a PC or mobile device to do the rest.  Even turning the fan on or off for circulation is a pain at the thermostat.  I usually pick up my phone just to turn on the fan!

The Honeywell also gives you PC or mobile access but the touchscreen is much easier to work with if you want to setup or change the thermostat directly.

It all comes down to personal preference.  If you're the type that likes to run his life via a smartphone then you will love the Nest.  If, on the other hand, you like to be able to see what's going on from a distance and control things locally you won't like the Nest very much.

Just my $0.02.

Offline cbo

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:02 pm »
I just got the honeywell also love it so far.  I was also wondering if there was an app developed for it.  Too bad I'm not a coder.  It would be really nice to have a plugins.

Offline Netzero

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »
With Honeywell announcing an API for its wi-fi thermostats in September I'm wondering if anyone is working on a plugin?  I sure do like the rth9580 and would love to be able to control it with vera.
Vera user since 2013
Currently running VeraEdge

guest13871

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 12:01:33 pm »
I just got the honeywell also love it so far.  I was also wondering if there was an app developed for it.  Too bad I'm not a coder.  It would be really nice to have a plugins.

Has the thermostat been reliable for you?  I really don't like the Nest and if Honeywell fixed the inaccuracy problem I would consider going back to it.

Thanks.

Offline Netzero

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:44:40 pm »
You can register to receive information on the wifi thermostat API here:

http://www.ecc.honeywell.com/api

Vera user since 2013
Currently running VeraEdge

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13:10 am »
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago for support of the API, Watou (who I believe is the only developer to sign up) requested access to their API through the same link you provided below.
Hopefully we'll get some traction on this...

openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline watou

• Community Beta
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 12:23:29 pm »
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago for support of the API, Watou (who I believe is the only developer to sign up) requested access to their API through the same link you provided below.
Hopefully we'll get some traction on this...

I encourage anyone else to sign up and try to move this forward if they feel so motivated.  I did sign up but have not heard anything back yet.  I don't want my having signed up to discourage anyone else's interest in writing a plugin against their APIs.

watou