We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Does anybody know if they came up with a thermostat for electric heat  (Read 1925 times)

Offline imowt

• Sr. Newbie
I would love to have a z wave thermostat where I can control via vera3 ..at least on/off.
 I hooked up electric heat for my kids rooms so I can keep the babies warm while he keep the rest of the house temperature low. Problem is often someone forgets to shut it off leaving the electric heat on all day ... costing a small fortune.
To be able to check from my vera3 app to see if it's off would  be awesome.
Last I heard there wasn't anything
Just wondering?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Does anybody know if they came up with a thermostat for electric heat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »
A Z-Wave Appliance Modules,  a Multi-Sensor with temperature setting, and PLEG for automation will solve the problem.

You want a Multi-Sensor that provides temperature inputs at 1 minute interval or less ... some only seem to report when there is motion.

Offline imowt

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »
It is a slant fun baseboard heater  that's hardwired
..not sure how that would work

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »
It is a slant fun baseboard heater  that's hardwired
..not sure how that would work

What part are you not sure about? The appliance modual will be wired between the power source and the heater.
If you supply a model number it would help better understand the size of load and wiring that would work in your case.

Offline thetwc

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:58:34 am »
It costs a bit more, but i would recommend a dedicated z-wave thermostat for the room.  That way the room temperature is being constantly monitored and controlled directly by that rather than vera.
If you just have a temperature reporting device (a 3in1 for example) then it will chew through batteries if you have it sending the temperature back to vera every minute or so.  To save battery life, you can extend the reporting frequency, but you run the risk of the room temperature going above or below what you want to be. 

I've been using HRT4zw's in all my bedrooms for a few years and love them.  Any other proper z-wave thermostat will work though.
They keep the room temperature constant for the babies as they continually monitor the room temperature and send an on or off signal to the heater power when needed, also learning the thermal inertia of the room.  They then wake up every 15 mins or so to pick up a new setpoint value from vera and report the room temperature.
(They are also family proof as anyone in the room can turn the dial to adjust without needed vera)

For the motion part.  a simple (PLEG) logic can deal with this.  If there's no motion in the house for a while, and the baby's room setpoint is X, then change to Y.

Happy to go into more detail if needed. 
1600's Thatched Cottage in the UK tricked out with Veras, RFx, and 30+ devices.  Homewave devotee.
Lite on UI5.  (1.5.672)   |   Edge on UI7

Offline mylesm

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 01:01:28 pm »
It costs a bit more, but i would recommend a dedicated z-wave thermostat for the room.  That way the room temperature is being constantly monitored and controlled directly by that rather than vera.
If you just have a temperature reporting device (a 3in1 for example) then it will chew through batteries if you have it sending the temperature back to vera every minute or so.  To save battery life, you can extend the reporting frequency, but you run the risk of the room temperature going above or below what you want to be. 

I've been using HRT4zw's in all my bedrooms for a few years and love them.  Any other proper z-wave thermostat will work though.
They keep the room temperature constant for the babies as they continually monitor the room temperature and send an on or off signal to the heater power when needed, also learning the thermal inertia of the room.  They then wake up every 15 mins or so to pick up a new setpoint value from vera and report the room temperature.
(They are also family proof as anyone in the room can turn the dial to adjust without needed vera)

For the motion part.  a simple (PLEG) logic can deal with this.  If there's no motion in the house for a while, and the baby's room setpoint is X, then change to Y.

Happy to go into more detail if needed.

Sorry for going off topic but I have Hortsmann Z wave Stats can I ask what you have wake up set for and also poll this node every xxx secs as I am worried about battery life what sort of battery life do you get Thanks
mylesm

Offline thetwc

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »
Mine polls and wakes every 900s and lasts about 6 months.  Not bad really. 
1600's Thatched Cottage in the UK tricked out with Veras, RFx, and 30+ devices.  Homewave devotee.
Lite on UI5.  (1.5.672)   |   Edge on UI7