We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Anyone using Wintop / Z-Wave.me Temperature / Dry Contact device? DOORBELL  (Read 21349 times)

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
Re: Anyone using Wintop / Z-Wave.me Temperature / Dry Contact device?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:09:02 am »
If I have the red pin of the volt meter on terminal 2 and the black pin of the volt meter on terminal 1 this gives me 0 volts, when I press the door bell it jumps up to about 5.5 volts. So terminal 1 is the one that gets the voltage when the doorbell is pressed down. I think this is right.  :-\
Sounds good. Connect the relay coil to terminals 1 and 2 and you should be in business.

So its pins 2 and 9 on the relay coil connect to terminals 1 and 2 on the chime (no polarity) and then pins 1 and 5 on the relay go to the Z-wave.me iTemp Dry contact

I've ordered the Z-wave.me iTemp device will take a few days to arrive from Germany. I also treated myself to a second Aeon Minimote, one for downstairs and one for upstairs.  ;D

I'll let you know if it all works out with the doorbell, will have to do a little how-to write up on my blog and give you the credit.

I think I am also at some point going to invest in one of those Keene IR over IP boxes and use your add-on for that to get the Logitech Harmony talking to Vera.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:33:45 am by cw-kid »

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 11:51:51 am »
Just an update if people are following this, I got the Z-wave.me iTemp device this morning in the post, I have it setup already in Vera following these instructions here.

I have both a new Temperature device and a Binary Contact device now showing in the Vera UI. Some issues with the temp sensor its displaying in farenheit and not in celsius as I would like, reading the instructions that came with the iTemp there doesn't appear to be a parameter to change this? Although the screen shots on the setup guide look like its in celsius. Will confirm this with the distributor.

Also I am not convinced yet that the temp being displayed from this device in Vera is correct? It currently reads 73F my other temp sensor in nearby area says 78F.

The Binary Contact sensor appears as a regular sensor device in Vera with Arm / Bypass buttons etc, which you can't use as it says "No Implementation"

However as a test I have used two wires in the iTemp devices binary contact sockets and when shorting them together, the doorbell scene I have created with some Luup code triggers and sends a pop-up notification to all XBMC Media Center PCs / TVs in the house and pauses their playback, so it is working!  ;D

I also plan to have lights come on and I am going to look at installing and setting up Vera Alerts to send notifications to our Android phones. Would be nice to be able to bring up the IP camera in XBMC as well if I can figure out how to do that.

I am still waiting for the relay to arrive from eBay so have not connected the iTemp to the relay / chime unit yet.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:06:02 pm by cw-kid »

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 08:51:02 am »
I fixed the Temp Sensor showing farenheit rather than celsius. In Vera - Setup - Location I changed the Temp format here to celsius. Also my location had been reset from London back to Abidjan. Must have been a recent system restore that did this. Anyway's the iTemp temp device is now showing in celsius.

I got the relay today I have just soldered pins 2 & 9 on the relay to terminals 1 & 2 on the chime unit. If I connect the volt meter to pins 5 & 6 on the relay and then press the door bell there is a small amount of voltage shown like 0.20 volts. I then proceeded to connect pins 5 & 6 on the relay to the iTemp dry contact.

I pressed the doorbell and VeraAlerts on my Android tablet said "There is someone at the door" I had previously installed and setup VeraAlerts for it to do this. However the iTemp Binary Contact device in Vera is now showing as constantly tripped the RED icon and is not going back to the GREEN icon.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 09:32:44 am »
Think its working I had it wired up wrong  >:(

I have connected the iTemp Dry contact to pins 1 & 5 now on the relay and not pins 5 & 6.

Now the iTemp is GREEN when all the wires are connected up. It only goes RED now when I press the doorbell!

You did say to use pins 1 & 5 here not sure how I got it wrong, anyway's its working so well pleased!

Thank you very much for your assistance in creating a relatively cheap Z-wave doorbell solution.  ;D

I can recommend the Z-wave.me iTemp device its very small only a little bigger than 3x AAA batteries. I used two cables within a CAT5 cable and ran a length from the porch in to the living room where the iTemp is mounted, better to have the temp of this room than that of the porch.

I have attached some pictures as well.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:53:55 am by cw-kid »

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 09:46:02 am »
I'm happy to hear it is working. It's good when a plan comes together.  ;D

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
I've done a write up about this project on my blogs here and here  ;D

EDIT: HAHA I've just had some guy from Safe Style windows come to the door and knock on it rather than push the door bell. Well I guess you can't account for everything LOL.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:36:01 am by cw-kid »

Offline Rich1983

Re: Anyone using Wintop / Z-Wave.me Temperature / Dry Contact device? DOORBELL
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »
Perfect guides.

Going to give this a try and will report back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rich1983

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 01:32:35 pm »
Perfect guides.

Going to give this a try and will report back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

Done a trial setup on the desk with this setup but using a fibaro door/window sensor but only had a 24v relay. I just used what i had for testing and it works a treat. Just awaiting on proper relay and then i will proper fit it all but i like to thank you for this thread / guide as it made the job alot easier

Rich

Offline jamesm1985

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 06:21:41 am »
hi guys, am i right in thinking that i can bypass the chime unit and just have the bell push wired directly to the binary sensor without the need for wiring any relays. This would then trigger the sound come from a sonos player

Offline topf1973

Hello,
I works also with a iTemp sensor. It is in my greenhouse and i want to regulate a automatcally windows opener. But I have a bad connection from iTemp to my VERA 3, maybe to far away. I have between a repeater and also a socket, but my iTemp had no neighbors. Is it correct? In the manual is written:
It is possible to set the node ID to 255 to send wakeup notifications as broadcast. In this mode device takes more time to
go to sleep and drains battery faster, but can notify all it's direct neighbors about a wakeup.

Where can I find the node ID and how can I set the node ID to 255. Im a newbie in z-wave.
Greetings from Germany
Torsten

Offline haavard

I have read this thread and find it very helpful. I am also trying to automate my door bell/ chime. My chime is powered from a 8v ac power supply. The chime looks similar or equal to the one in the pictures above. I also have a smal light in the door button.
Can someone advice on a relay that can match?

Regards
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:04:15 am by haavard »

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
Does anyone know if there is an US version of this device? Thanks.
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
Does anyone know if there is an US version of this device? Thanks.

I don't know, but it's not the best device. Mine eats batteries and the battery status reporting is hit and miss. I'd look for another device if I were you.

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
Hmm, from the discussion above, it looks like your doorbell operates on 6 VDC, which you interface via relay to a Z-Wave dry contact device. Has anyone looked at doing similar thing to a regular 12-16 VAC doorbell in the US? I don't know which relay to use - any recommendations? Thanks.
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Hmm, from the discussion above, it looks like your doorbell operates on 6 VDC, which you interface via relay to a Z-Wave dry contact device. Has anyone looked at doing similar thing to a regular 12-16 VAC doorbell in the US? I don't know which relay to use - any recommendations? Thanks.

Low-voltage AC relays are not so common. You could use a 12 VDC relay and feed it via a small bridge rectifier.