We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Anyone using Wintop / Z-Wave.me Temperature / Dry Contact device? DOORBELL  (Read 21472 times)

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
Hi

I am looking at these devices here and here seems there is a Z-wave.me and Wintop one, not sure what the difference is if any?

There is a VERA setup guide for it here

I am looking for a Z-wave device I can use with a regular Doorbell push button do you think this device would work for that? So scenes can be triggered in Vera when the doorbell button is pressed.

The other option is to use the dry input connection on a Fibaro Door/Window sensor.

Also I am not sure if I could use a regular doorbell chime unit or if I'd need to get the Everspring one here.

Thanks for any tips!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:55:54 am by cw-kid »

Offline Frode

Re: Anyone using Wintop / Z-Wave.me Temperature / Dry Contact device?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:14:07 am »
U can use both options that u mention.
As for the doorbell the switch has to be voltage/potensial free, so you might have to disconnect the wiring or the powersupply on your existing doorbell.

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:24:05 am »
If you have a wired doorbell already, you can add a small relay of appropriate coil voltage across the chime unit's terminals and use the relay contacts to trigger the dry-contact Z-Wave transmitter.

Depending on what the power supply in the doorbell is, you may even be able to power a Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor from it and avoid the need for changing batteries. The Fibaro board will run from 9V to 30V DC supply.

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 10:42:05 am »
U can use both options that u mention.
As for the doorbell the switch has to be voltage/potensial free, so you might have to disconnect the wiring or the powersupply on your existing doorbell.

Hi thanks for the replies!

I wasn't sure if I would be able to also wire in a regular doorbell chime? Which is why I was thinking I may need the Everspring Z-wave doorbell chime unit instead. I know that the doorbell button that comes with the Everspring doorbell set doesn't work, which is why I am looking at this Wintop iTemp device and connecting it to a regular doorbell button etc.

Quote from: RexBeckett link=topic=16050.msg122333.html#msg122333

If you have a wired doorbell already, you can add a small relay of appropriate coil voltage across the chime unit's terminals and use the relay contacts to trigger the dry-contact Z-Wave transmitter.

Depending on what the power supply in the doorbell is, you may even be able to power a Fibaro Universal Binary Sensor from it and avoid the need for changing batteries. The Fibaro board will run from 9V to 30V DC supply.

There is an existing doorbell chime unit in place, I have never used it and there is currently no doorbell button attached but there are two wires poking outside for where a doorbell push button can be connected. The chime unit takes 4 x batteries and it says they are 1.5 volts each so 6 volts.

I am happy to purchase a newer / better chime unit as I need to get a push button as well, but looking for an easy / cheapish way of setting up a Z-wave enabled doorbell.

I've taken some photos of what is currently in place, please see attached.

Many thanks

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 11:12:28 am »
Your cheapest solution would probably be to buy a new bell-push, batteries for the existing chime, a small 6V relay and either of the dry-contact Z-Wave transmitters. This assumes the existing chime still works (stick some batteries in it and short the two wires on the door frame). This sort of door-chime is inexpensive so, even if it has expired, a complete replacement would probably not blow your budget.  ;D

The Z-Wave chime plus a new bell-push plus a dry-contact transmitter is the most expensive option but it does allow you to position the chime where you want it - and you don't need to mess with wiring-up a relay.

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 11:20:29 am »
Your cheapest solution would probably be to buy a new bell-push, batteries for the existing chime, a small 6V relay and either of the dry-contact Z-Wave transmitters. This assumes the existing chime still works (stick some batteries in it and short the two wires on the door frame). This sort of door-chime is inexpensive so, even if it has expired, a complete replacement would probably not blow your budget.  ;D

The Z-Wave chime plus a new bell-push plus a dry-contact transmitter is the most expensive option but it does allow you to position the chime where you want it - and you don't need to mess with wiring-up a relay.

Excellent think I will go with plan A,  I am looking for a push button now, found this one here. As for the relay something like this?

The wiring for the chime unit to the relay and then the relay to the Z-wave dry input I am hoping won't be too difficult to figure out.

Many thanks

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 12:29:28 pm »
The bell-push looks fine but the relay is a bit over the top for this application. Something more like: This would be better and make your batteries last longer.

Looking at the photo of your chime, I think you would need to connect the relay coil to the two screws on the left of the black housing. Polarity matters - I think the lower screw connects to the battery positive and should therefore connect to the relay coil positive but check this.

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:28 pm »
Thank you for the great advice!  ;D I will order that relay and push button then.

I have uploaded a much higher res image of the chime unit HERE. Looks like the manufacturer is Friedland, I will get some batteries for it tomorrow test it still works? I've been in this house for 13 years and never used it lol.

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »
The hi-res photo makes it easier to see! It looks as though the relay coil should be connected between terminal 2 (lower left) and terminal 1 (upper right). The Omron datasheet here shows the pinout of the relay and also suggests that coil polarity is not important - they should know.  ;)

I hope you have access to a soldering iron...

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:47:00 pm »
Before you put batteries in the chime just check that it isn't connected to a transformer. This would probably be somewhere near your consumer unit (or fuse-box). It would be a small box with similar thin white wires connected to it. It isn't too likely but it's worth checking.

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »
I can handle a soldering iron ok. Pretty sure there is no mains power to it, saw only one wire that leads out side. Only thing I'm not totally sure about is what pins to use on the relay, there appears to be six pins. Hopefully we can figure that out when I've got the parts here.

Thanks again!

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »
Only thing I'm not totally sure about is what pins to use on the relay
The coil is on pins 2 and 9. This connects to the chime. Pins 1 and 5 are normally-open contacts for connection to the dry-contact transmitter. The attached diagram is from the underside of the relay.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the connections to the chime. It looks like terminals 1 and 2 but then again... Do you have a voltmeter so you can check which terminals get the 6V across them when the bell-push gets pushed?

BTW: Your profile shows local time as being in the US but you referenced UK Ebay. Are you incognito?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:47:31 pm by RexBeckett »

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:21 am »
Hi

I'm in the UK, sunny Yorkshire! Maybe my profile has wrong time zone?

Yeah I have a multimeter so can test which terminal on the chime unit has 6v on it.

Cheers

Offline cw-kid

• Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:07 am »
Well the good news is I now have a working doorbell! I went down to Toolstation this morning and bought a doorbell push button for ?1.24 and some batteries.

I have tested the terminals with a volt meter, there are 3 x terminals marked 0 , 1 , 2 I've uploaded another photo here and marked on the picture which terminals are which.

If I put the red positive pin of the volt meter on to terminal 2 and the black negative pin of the volt meter on to terminal 0 I get 6.40 volts.

If I then put the black negative pin on to terminal 1 I get 0.00 volts.

I'll order the relay now off ebay and I need to get the Z-wave module from the distributor, think I will go for the Z-wave.me iTemp one.

EDIT: If I have the red pin of the volt meter on terminal 2 and the black pin of the volt meter on terminal 1 this gives me 0 volts, when I press the door bell it jumps up to about 5.5 volts. So terminal 1 is the one that gets the voltage when the doorbell is pressed down. I think this is right.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:14:56 am by cw-kid »

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 07:58:22 am »
If I have the red pin of the volt meter on terminal 2 and the black pin of the volt meter on terminal 1 this gives me 0 volts, when I press the door bell it jumps up to about 5.5 volts. So terminal 1 is the one that gets the voltage when the doorbell is pressed down. I think this is right.  :-\
Sounds good. Connect the relay coil to terminals 1 and 2 and you should be in business.