We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Arduino Sensor Plugin - Build your own wireless sensors!  (Read 262248 times)

Offline pentium

Re: Arduino Sensor Plugin - Build your own wireless sensors!
« Reply #720 on: July 23, 2014, 09:33:28 am »
I am suffering much like servicexp appears to be.  I have a box of stuff that i ordered and a few attempts at building the gateway, radio, etc.  I'm afraid that I am also going to have to find a working model to get me started.  At least if I had something that I knew worked, I could gain the confidence to build more sensors.  I will check the forum at my sensors and see if anyone wants to create built starter kits.  Or failing that, but a box of chinese parts.

Offline zogg

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #721 on: July 24, 2014, 10:54:36 am »
Take it a step at a time. First download the Arduino software development stuff, plug your board in, and try out some of the simple examples like Blink. Change the LED blink times to make sure you understand how to edit and download code. If you are using the ethernet module, then hook it up too and try the simple EchoServer or other sketch to make sure it's working.

Once you are familiar with playing with the Arduino itself, then start playing with the Vera part. Download and install the Vera plugin files, then install the gateway sketch on the Arduino, and get the gateway talking to Vera.

The last thing you should do is build a sensor and try to get it talking to the gateway. At this point it should be easier for you, and a lot of the sensors are easier to wire up and get working.

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #722 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:46 am »
This is exactly how my approach is going to be. I've ordered everything necessary to complete my objectives (with extras in case I damage something), but plan to take it step_by_step.  In the end, If I can pull this off, then ANYONE can..  :P
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #723 on: October 06, 2014, 02:30:22 am »
I have the EnergyMeterPulseSensor setup and running. VERA doesn't seem to be updating the "WATTS" I see the KWH keeps climbing every few seconds (around 13 secs), but the watts just sit at one number and never moves no matter if I have everything on or off in the house.

How is this supposed to work? Does the KWH reset so often or just keep climbing?

How is the "watts" calculated and where is it done?

I have tried resetting and refreshing everything but still same any other ideas?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #724 on: October 06, 2014, 02:26:28 pm »
10 hour plus update.

Watts does change but ever so slowly. This morning I has reading like 800, few hours later now reading 1191.

KWH is still climbing the next day at 30.85 and doing so every 13 seconds pretty regularly.

I flick on the A/C and watch for 10 min or more and the watts haven't changed.

Looking at dataMine graph looks as if the updates are more then an hour apart and in no setup order. In the middle of the night there was a 4 hour gap between points.

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #725 on: October 06, 2014, 02:45:49 pm »
I came back to this last week, because I finally upgraded to a Vera 3. I was able to get my serial gateway plugin to respond (I can click to add devices). However, my test temperature sensor with the radio module attached didn't get picked up by the plugin. When I'm motivated to try again, I'll probably post more details.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #726 on: October 06, 2014, 07:07:08 pm »
I came back to this last week, because I finally upgraded to a Vera 3. I was able to get my serial gateway plugin to respond (I can click to add devices). However, my test temperature sensor with the radio module attached didn't get picked up by the plugin. When I'm motivated to try again, I'll probably post more details.

What was the serial monitor output on the sensor?
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #727 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:35 am »
What was the serial monitor output on the sensor?
I didn't even check. I'll have a look after I get through some other issues (setting up another IP camera, etc.).
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

macrho

« Reply #728 on: October 31, 2014, 08:41:52 am »
I have my gateway working and a temperature/humidity sensor in my garage.
In the advanced tab of the sensor, there is a variable section which has LastUpdate
The value is currently: 1414706296

It does not appear to be a date, perhaps it's the number of seconds from some specific starting point?
It appears it is: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:58:16 GMT  (epoch)

Couple of questions:

1) Can the LastUpdate show the actually date time formatted for local culture?

2) It appears my Temperature/Humidity sensor has stopped working, if my assumptions above are correct. What's the best way to troubleshoot?

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #729 on: October 31, 2014, 09:01:37 am »
It would be best to maintain compatibility not to change the format of the time stamp for LastUpdate. Using epoch time is a common practice in the computer industry especially when it comes to software.

- Garrett

macrho

« Reply #730 on: October 31, 2014, 09:42:13 am »
I'm not sure I understand a resistance to formatting a date time field? It certainly seems useful to be able to open the advanced tab and be able to read the info without having to go to a website to format it for me. Perhaps you are part machine and can read it  8)

Offline ServiceXp

« Reply #731 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:20 am »

2) It appears my Temperature/Humidity sensor has stopped working, if my assumptions above are correct. What's the best way to troubleshoot?

1) Make sure it's powered up..  ;D
 2) Power cycle it to see if it comes back on-line.
 3) Connect the Sensor to the Serial Monitor to see whats going on with it.
U.S.A Vera 3

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #732 on: October 31, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
I'm not sure I understand a resistance to formatting a date time field? It certainly seems useful to be able to open the advanced tab and be able to read the info without having to go to a website to format it for me. Perhaps you are part machine and can read it  8)

It makes it easier to use the value when using it for other things like in lua code, graphing, and so on.

- Garrett

macrho

« Reply #733 on: October 31, 2014, 07:59:23 pm »
So my other thought would be to put the last updated info on the Control tab or perhaps in the actual display of the device (kind of like netatmo though that's for the master control) -- perhaps it's not a big deal.  Anyway, Happy Halloween, be safe out there!

Offline Brighters

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #734 on: February 17, 2016, 01:45:15 pm »
It's a bit quiet down here... Anything still going on?
I'm waiting for my 2.4 GHz radio to arrive in the mail, then I will try this out. But, I use UI7.... Has it been tested with UI7?
http://shop.brighters.nl De slimste domotica shop van Nederland!