We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Does Vera work with Trane Thermostat?  (Read 21737 times)

Offline cavaleri

Does Vera work with Trane Thermostat?
« on: July 31, 2009, 11:24:09 pm »

Building a new home, and in looking at the different Z-wave devices, the Trane thermostat seems to be the most appealing.  Does anyone know if it works with Vera?  Can't find anything to confirm or deny on google. It's not a recommended model from the micasaverde wiki...

thanks for any info!

Offline zmistro

Re: Does Vera work with Trane Thermostat?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:56:19 am »
Its basically a re-packaged RCS-tz43 with a different firmware and no remote sensors.  There are some bugs presently with vera and the RCS I hear. This is supposed to be fixed in the new firmware to be released next month. If you can wait I would.

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:58:17 am »
We've tested with the Trane thermostat.  It works fine with the current Luup version, and we'll have an official Luup release for the general public by the end of the week.  It is identical to the RCS.

Offline ubiquityman

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:25:08 pm »
I have the new Trane/Schlage  thermostat: TZEMT400AB32MA.

It does not work properly with the Vera (using the web UI).

MCV, Please, please get this device working with Vera!

When I set the TZEMT to use 'F, then I get a temperature that is 1'F off in places.
This applies to the setpoints as well.

The fan control does not work.  Any command to the fan turns the fan on and then you have to physically (push button) turn it off at the thermostat.

On the plus side, I really like the thermostat.  It has a "fan cycle" feature that will the turn the fan on/off at programmable intervals to circulate air through the house.  It also has a "Change Filter" reminder depending on how many configured hours the fan has been on.

As far as I know, the Intermatic/WD Thermostat cannot have the fan controlled separately through Z-Wave.

Offline Sig

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:33:44 pm »
I'm very interested in this topic - based upon all of the dialog I've seen in the forum regarding thermostats, I did go ahead and order a Trane/Schlage thermostat which I believe I'm receiving sometime today.  This will be for my vacation home.  I don't have huge expectations for complex automation, but I do want to be able to remotely control my thermostat - to turn the A/C on before I arrive, etc.  Based upon your experiences, can I at least do this now reliably with Vera?  I'm patient and OK waiting for all the scene control and more complex automation features to evolve, but would like some reassurance that the basics work solidly today.

Also, I saw in a different thread...

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1023.msg5644#msg5644

...that with the Wayne-Dalton thermostat, local programming at the thermostat panel wasn't possible - that you had to use Vera (if I understood correctly).  Does the Trane thermostat work completely in stand-alone mode, meaning I can use the local controls for programming/controlling?  Seems like a stupid question - I realize - but from what I've read elsewhere , I wanted to be sure.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:38:03 pm by slackner »

Offline ubiquityman

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 02:54:39 am »
Yes, I was using it in stand alone mode because Vera didn't support it fully.

I tried with the latest 1.0.862 version and one of the key functions I was hoping for still doesn't appear to be available, but the thermostat is working better.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:01:42 am by ubiquityman »

Offline Chimpware

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:01:53 pm »
Anyone want to update/share their experience with Trane thermostat and Vera?

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:17:10 am »
ubiquityman, when you say 'didn't support it fully, one of the key functions doesn't appear to be available', which function are you referring to?  The only one I know of that doesn't work is a special fan cycle mode.  We'll add support for it, but it's certainly not a key function because the Trane is the only thermostat we've ever seen that even has such a mode.

Offline LVince

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 08:18:27 am »
MCV,  When you say the 'special fan cycle' doesn't work, what does that mean?  To me this is one of the best features of the thermostat.  Will it work and Vera can't control it, or does it break?  Break keeps me sitting on the sidelines for a while.
Vera (1.0.939), HA07, HA02, (4) HA06,(2) HA04C, HA03 and a WDHA-12R.
Retired: ThinkEssentials, HomeZIX, X10

Offline Sig

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 08:30:38 am »
I've had my Trane thermostat for about 5 months now, and it works great.  The only issue I initially had was the inability for Vera to switch the thermostat between standard RUN schedule mode and Energy Saving Mode ("ESM").  But thanks to some tips from ASIHome, I even have that working now using the new "Advanced" feature in Scenes.  More details if you're interested...

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=1801.0

Offline RolfS

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 05:21:41 pm »
I just got a Trane thermostat.  I like the features it has, It replaced my  Wayne-Dalton thermostat, which started acting up.

The problem I have with Trane and Vera is that i can’t seem  to change the temperature from the Vera PC/web  interface. I change it (via SET) and it reads back the new setpoint but at the next scan of it it shows the old setting. The Trane continues to show the old setting also. I have it in RUN mode. Changing from Cool, Heat and Auto does work, just not the temperature setting.

Now I know other threads say it works fine, but it fails to mention what version of Vera everyone was using that got it to work. I am on 1.0.616.

Can someone tell me what what they did to make it work or what released version of the  Vera you have installed that it works under?

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09:26 pm »
Mine works great on 980.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 02:27:15 pm »
My Trane thermostat is working properly on 979.

Offline paulcantwell

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 06:44:54 pm »
I am running version 1.0.616 . and have Trane TZEMT4000AB32MAA

I have just installed both Vera and the Trane thermostat.  I have the problem of being unable to set the temperature from the web.  It appeared to go over but at the next poll would report back what ever had been set manually on the thermostat.  I then came across this link  http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Supported_Hardware  Here it says:

Note:You need to set the thermostat to show the temperature, on its screen, in Celsius degree in order to be able to receive "Set Temp" commands from Vera. This is no longer required in firmwares above 1.0.862 (luup)

I set the Thermostat to Celcius using Menu/ User Settings/ F/C Settings and it worked.  I could change the temperature.

I then discovered that although Vera told me I was "latest version" I was in fact not.
in the Section/ Advanced/ Downloads "Running Version" and "Latest Version" were both set to 1.0.616.  Leading me to assume that I was up to date.  This was incorrect.

I then went through the very convoluted flash upgrade procedure. http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Firmware_Flash  It did not work under Vista but I managed to get the Mac version to work.  Now the temperature updates correctly even in Farenheight.

Not sure why I was shipped a unit that did not have the latest version?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:26:02 pm by paulcantwell »

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 03:02:02 am »
616 is the latest stable firmware version. All new Veras are shipped with this version.

Luup firmwares (anything greater than 700, currently 979/980) is still beta quality and thus upgrade from stable is not automatic.

And you don't need to go through PC-based firmware upgrade procedure to do the upgrade from stable 616 to beta Luup. All you need is to manually enter the firmware URL in the "Firmware url" box and press "Download" in the Advanced -> Downloads menu.

The firmware URL is published with every officially announced beta release. E.g. the latest being:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2427.0

And the firmware URL from that post being:

http://download.controlmyhouse.net/betafirmware/ftp/wl500gP_Luup-1.0.979.trx
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.