We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Does Vera work with Trane Thermostat?  (Read 21748 times)

mcvovidiu

Re: Does Vera work with Trane Thermostat?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:57 am »
Thank you Denix for the great contribution to this forum!!!

Offline paulcantwell

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 09:09:53 pm »
Strange that the Vera Wiki has the PC based firmware update as a process - it would have been much easier to have used the approach you suggested.

Anyway I am now obviously on the beta version.  I am away from the house and maintenance guy tells me that they temperature seems to keep resetting to a higher temperature - despite the fact that there is nothing in the Scene to prompt that.  Any idea if this is one of the "features" of the beta?.

I bought the Trane thermostat from the Micasaverde web site because I wanted one that would definitely work with Vera.  It definitely didn't with 616.

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:10:52 am »
The only reason your set temp would change or "keep resetting to a higher temperature" would be because something is telling it to do so. When you log in are you seeing the set temperature change? If so, we'd have to assume there's a scene telling it to do so. Either that or your Vera's possessed. Mine has had a demon a time or two, but I haven't had to perform an exorcism in months.  ;)

You could try deleting the scene and making a new one. Or deleting both the device and the scene and starting over again. My thermostat has been one of the most trouble free devices in my entire system. I hope you can get yours working.

If you need more help, you could post more details about your setup, what you have the thermostat connected to, and what scenes you have programmed for it.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 09:18:41 am »
The only reason your set temp would change or "keep resetting to a higher temperature" would be because something is telling it to do so. When you log in are you seeing the set temperature change? If so, we'd have to assume there's a scene telling it to do so. Either that or your Vera's possessed. Mine has had a demon a time or two, but I haven't had to perform an exorcism in months.  ;)

You could try deleting the scene and making a new one. Or deleting both the device and the scene and starting over again. My thermostat has been one of the most trouble free devices in my entire system. I hope you can get yours working.

If you need more help, you could post more details about your setup, what you have the thermostat connected to, and what scenes you have programmed for it.

Have you set the thermostat to be in "Hold" mode and not "Run" or "ESM"? If it is not in "Hold" mode the schedule programed locally in the Thermostat will be changing the set points as well as Vera.

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:19 am »

the schedule programed locally in the Thermostat will be changing the set points as well as Vera.

I hadn't even thought about the possibility of programming the thermostat locally–you can do that? How would it act with Vera talking to it at the same time?
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline mikeholczer

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:25:54 am »

the schedule programed locally in the Thermostat will be changing the set points as well as Vera.

I hadn't even thought about the possibility of programming the thermostat locally–you can do that? How would it act with Vera talking to it at the same time?

I only had it configured that way for about a day (I had originally assumed the local programming would disable when the device was join a ZWave network), but the setpoints changed when either the local program or Vera said it should. The other thing I made a wrong assumption about was that the local program would keep the setpoints where they were programmed to be (basically not allow them to be controlled manually) that isn't the case. The local program just changes the setpoints at the scheduled times, so if a setpoint is changed manually or by Vera, it will stay where it is until the next local schedule timer fires.

I prefer scheduling through Vera since it provides for more flexibility than the local programing does, so I've put my Trane thermostat in Hold mode and let Vera control it.

Offline stantonbms

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »
I too have firmware 616, and an old z-wave black dongle. Anyone know how to find out what version of the zwave dongle I have?   I read on the Supported Hardware compatibility wiki

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Supported_Hardware

that I have to set the temperature to celsius? on the Trane Thermostat to have Vera work correctly to set the temperature through findvera.com?  Is this true?   Or I have to upgrade to firmware 862 or higher?  Here's what's posted on the wiki on the Trane Thermostat...

Note:You need to set the thermostat to show the temperature, on its screen, in Celsius degree in order to be able to receive "Set Temp" commands from Vera. This is no longer required in firmwares above 1.0.862 (luup)

My question is, should I upgrade to the latest new luup firmware so I can remotely program my thermostat?  When I set the termperature through findvera, it appears to work then reverts back to the old temperature after about a minute.

If so, do I need to get a new dongle?   I've spent so much time finally getting my Sclage lock to work, that I don't want to do anything to mess that up, but I would really like to be able to turn the heat or AC on before traveling 1000 miles to my vacation home.

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »
I am on .980 and didn't need to set my thermostat to Cº. It works great.

Your dongle version is under Devices/Z-wave/More Z-wave options and you'll see the version number listed there.

Offline ctvrod

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »
Hi all I am a newbie to this z-wave stuff.  I have the Trane stat and and Schlage lock and I am planning on installing both of them on our vac home.  I have both working right now here in CT.   I am on 616, the question is- if your vera was 1000+ miles away would you install the new firmware on vera.  At this point in time I am just looking to see what times the contractors enter and if the temp falls below some point I am sent a sms and email.  Also in the later ver of firmware does the Schlage lock identify the user of the entry code.  I noticed that if I do not have notification turned on findvera gives me that info.  If I enable notification the findvera just lets me know a unlock has occurred.

Thanks Wayne
Vera 1-oos, Vera 2-oos, Vera 3 UI5, Testing Vera +, Schlage Lock & Deadbolt, 4 Trane T'stats, 4 GE 3 way dimmer switch kit (45613), 3 GE Outdoor Modules (45604), 3 GE dimmer (45606), 1 GE switch (45609), 1 GE (45605 Outlet), 3 GE (45603 Modules), 1 HSM-100, 1 EtherRain

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 05:11:18 pm »
Both the lock and tstat have been solid on .979.  I hope the beta due out in the next week or two is as solid! The extra features in .979 vs .616 are nice but might not be important in the simple setup you'll be using.

You can enable notifications per user, or for every entry. Either way, the user name is included in each notification so you can tell who it was that entered.

Offline ctvrod

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 03:43:28 pm »
Hi All
I went to .979, like the new features but lost some.

Thermostat: .616 allowed me to set an event if the temp fell below a temp i.e. 60.  in .979 i cannot get it to work, what i do get is a sms message everytime the temp changes one (1) degree.  Other wise new features are great.

Schlage Lock:

.616 gave me the battery condition on the device screen and allowed me to set up an event that if the battery drope below some number i.e. 40% it would send me a sms.  Also missing under devices + is the battery condition.  Other wise really like the new features.

Wayne

ps is there a limit on the number of sms per day, for some reason my vera stops sending them, don''t know what causes them to start sending again.  I am planning on installing vera some 1000 miles away this week and an doing a lot of testing.
Vera 1-oos, Vera 2-oos, Vera 3 UI5, Testing Vera +, Schlage Lock & Deadbolt, 4 Trane T'stats, 4 GE 3 way dimmer switch kit (45613), 3 GE Outdoor Modules (45604), 3 GE dimmer (45606), 1 GE switch (45609), 1 GE (45605 Outlet), 3 GE (45603 Modules), 1 HSM-100, 1 EtherRain

mcvovidiu

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 07:43:47 am »
Hi ctvrod,

Yes, there is a limit of 20 free emails/SMS per day for every Vera. Unless you buy findvera.com services ( http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Find_Vera_Service ).

Offline CMRancho

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 08:23:54 am »
Email notifications are free and unlimited. Unless I am reading this wrong.