Author Topic: RainMachine  (Read 27431 times)

Offline Aaron

Re: RainMachine
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 12:14:14 pm »
Having researched all of the available smart irrigation controllers I purchased the Rachio Iro.  It seems to have the most advanced intelligence.  The system is wifi based, so it won't directly integrate with a Vera hub, but it doesn't have to.

Here is a review of the product:  http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html

http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html

How is your experience with this ?

It seems people are overall happy in online reviews but there are still some quirks... like it is not smart enough to not water the 'dy after' a rain... when the ground is still wet/soaked! ... not having this is a gap that cannot be forgiven - they should at least allow the owners to specify an option to turn the water off the day after X inches of rain. Heck, I often leave the watering off for 2-3 days after a hard rain.

Offline Tubal

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:44 am »

It seems people are overall happy in online reviews but there are still some quirks... like it is not smart enough to not water the 'dy after' a rain... when the ground is still wet/soaked! ... not having this is a gap that cannot be forgiven - they should at least allow the owners to specify an option to turn the water off the day after X inches of rain. Heck, I often leave the watering off for 2-3 days after a hard rain.

This is the same with the rainmachine.  I've had it since April and I'm not at all happy with the "auto schedule" stuff. 

It checks the NOAA 4-6 times per day to determine how much rain has fallen in your area, and how much to decrease your programmed schedule to make up for it.  I've never noticed it watering less.

It can also be raining all day long, and it will still turn your sprinklers on in the afternoon, while it's raining.

There is a "rain delay" function that lets you go in and stop the watering for a set # of hours that I've had to use several times.

There is no place to connect a rain sensor to this unit, though I suppose you could wire one up before your sprinkler leads.

If they had an API available to where I could check the weather myself and stop the watering when it rains I would be happy.  But it doesn't look like they are close to releasing an API.  I've snooped the url's in both wireshark and chrome developer tools and am able to see the commands sent, but I haven't been able to figure out the login token stuff yet.

Offline Mgsmith75

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:10 am »

This is the same with the rainmachine.  I've had it since April and I'm not at all happy with the "auto schedule" stuff. 

It checks the NOAA 4-6 times per day to determine how much rain has fallen in your area, and how much to decrease your programmed schedule to make up for it.  I've never noticed it watering less.

It can also be raining all day long, and it will still turn your sprinklers on in the afternoon, while it's raining.

There is a "rain delay" function that lets you go in and stop the watering for a set # of hours that I've had to use several times.

There is no place to connect a rain sensor to this unit, though I suppose you could wire one up before your sprinkler leads.

If they had an API available to where I could check the weather myself and stop the watering when it rains I would be happy.  But it doesn't look like they are close to releasing an API.  I've snooped the url's in both wireshark and chrome developer tools and am able to see the commands sent, but I haven't been able to figure out the login token stuff yet.

I have a positive experience with mine, do you have set to use the weather data this function can be toggled off? Also if you lose wifi connection on the device then it waters on normal schedule without using data.

The biggest issue I have is that when we have scattered rain showers it could rain inches a mile away and no rain where I actually live triggered the RainMachine to not water. If anything it waters less than I would prefer. My water bill this summer over last summer is 50% of what it had been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kadebross

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 02:40:59 pm »
@bformato

Any updates on your experience with rach.io?

Offline Lonestar10

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 12:51:20 pm »
I almost bought The Rain Machine until I read this:

The lack of a rain or freeze sensor is a deal breaker.  I live 35 miles from the National Weather Service office.  It could be flooding in my neighborhood and bone dry at the NWS office.

For $249, a sensor option should be included.
IU5 Vera 3 - VeraLite - Trane Thermostats x3 - Kwikset - Schlage - Nest - GE & Leviton Switches

Offline Aaron

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 04:14:09 pm »

The lack of a rain or freeze sensor is a deal breaker.  I live 35 miles from the National Weather Service office.  It could be flooding in my neighborhood and bone dry at the NWS office.

agreed.. it seems like all these devices are created by people that don't know what the consumer wants/needs.

Offline tdinardo

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 08:01:22 pm »
The Hydrawise unit has two sensor ports. I'm pretty happy with it.

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 07:00:02 am »
I got tired of waiting on the API release. I ditched the RainMachine and went with OpenSprinkler instead. While the hardware may not be as pretty, the web interface, mobile app, functionality and existence of a Vera plugin make this a winner IMO.

Anyone interested in purchasing a slightly used RainMachine?  ;D

Offline rayp

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 11:03:12 am »
Yeah, it's sad they are taking so long.

Offline rayp

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 06:27:38 pm »
From Green Electronics:
Sorry for the delay. The real reason is that we are planning to release 2 new products this winter/spring and we try to publish an API that would work for all 3 devices, backwards compatible. That is a real challenge and we will probably publish a subset of this API in 3-5 weeks.

Thank you,
Dragos

Offline qwen3579

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 08:11:18 am »
From Green Electronics:
Sorry for the delay. The real reason is that we are planning to release 2 new products this winter/spring and we try to publish an API that would work for all 3 devices, backwards compatible. That is a real challenge and we will probably publish a subset of this API in 3-5 weeks.

Thank you,
Dragos

2 new products?!? Damn it! I knew I should have just waited.

Offline banjeman

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 11:28:10 am »

I have a rain machine and how I got around this is I wired the rain sensor to break the common.  So Rain Machine goes through its logic, but if the common is open the valves don't actually get power to operate.  My biggest complaint is opposite, it shows it could rain in my area so it doesn't water the yard, even though my actual area never got rain.

If I had it to do again I would have gotten open sprinkler to integrate with Vera, but at time of purchase I didn't have my Vera.

Offline RayG

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »
Having researched all of the available smart irrigation controllers I purchased the Rachio Iro.  It seems to have the most advanced intelligence.  The system is wifi based, so it won't directly integrate with a Vera hub, but it doesn't have to.

Here is a review of the product:  http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html

http://www.groovemgmt.com/rachio-iro-review.html

I've been using the Rachio 8-port units for a few weeks now and really like them. So far I've seen two water reductions and several watering cycles skipped due to recent rain. Tech support is also good and responsive to issues. They are actively developing the software short-term and a long-term road map. Use of the nearest PWS and recently support for IFTTT.

Offline RainMachine

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 01:31:32 am »
Yes, we've been monitoring this forum for a long time, and yes, we are late with the API release. But we have good news.
With the new firmware version, there is a public API. Documentation to come soon, but, update to version 3.63, and then browse to http://rainmachine_ip/api4.html
You will get the idea.

Most functions work only after you do the auth call.

We will also start a forum for developers on www.rainmachine.com

Thank you
rainmachine.com

Offline rayp

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 02:19:59 pm »
Excellent! Thank-you.