Author Topic: First Alert CO/Fire Detector  (Read 92329 times)

Offline hifs

First Alert CO/Fire Detector
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »
I was at Lowe's and noticed in the IRIS section they're selling a First Alert CO/Fire Detector #505521 that says its IRIS Compatible. It's model number is ZCOMBO. Does anyone know if this is Z-Wave or maybe would work with the Vera? From what I can tell it's a battery operated device.

Offline bdevaux

Re: First Alert CO/Fire Detector
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51:36 am »
i almost want to buy one and try

Offline Trotsky40

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:28:10 am »
A similar discussion on the SmartThings forum:

http://build.smartthings.com/forums/topic/first-alert-smoke-detector-iris/

A user there reports that it is a z-wave product and does pair with the SmartThings hub (which means it will almost certainly work with Vera) but they haven't fully tested it yet.
Vera Plus- A wide variety of z-wave devices, a few zigbee devices, Sonos, and Phillips Hue bulbs via Hue Bridge.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:55:24 pm »
I'm going to buy one of these and try it just to see what happens when I try and add it to the Vera.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline bdevaux

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »
ok i got it to be seen(still getting Waiting To Wakeup....) and i even changed it to show correctly. Tomorrow when no one is home i will set it off to see if notifications work.   

Offline Aaron

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:26:25 am »
It would be very interesting if we can multi-purpose these to also be zwave audio alert units and/or sirens. I could see having these go 'full siren' in case of alarm but also just a quick "chirp" as an alert if a door opens, etc.

... please take a look to see if you can trigger/control the internal siren using the Vera.

Offline bdevaux

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »
well just tested and haven't received any notifications... Has anyone gotten this to work?????

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:41:40 pm »
Mine shows up as _AV MISC and is also stuck on "Waiting for wakeup to configure device" for well over 24 hours now. I've tried excluding it and re-including it into the Vera with no success. My guess is that the Vera just doesn't know what to make of it. I'm considering returning it to Lowes.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)

Offline hifs

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:28:45 pm »
You may try opening up a ticket with MCV. I purchased items before that they added support for.

Offline bdevaux

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 04:33:53 pm »
good call
You may try opening up a ticket with MCV. I purchased items before that they added support for.

Offline Lonestar10

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 10:40:10 pm »
This device shows a lot of promise, if we can only get Vera to play along.

My First Alert ZCOMBO Fire/CO Detector shows up as _AV MISC with a "Waiting for wakeup to configure device" notice.

The instructions (attached below) show how to pair the device with Iris (Lowes) and "other z-wave systems."  I have not been able to configure the device to work with my Vera Lite (1.5.622). 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:55:33 pm by Lonestar10 »
IU5 Vera 3 - VeraLite - Trane Thermostats x3 - Kwikset - Schlage - Nest - GE & Leviton Switches

Offline bdevaux

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 10:09:47 am »
i emailed micasaverde and they were no help

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 10:13:20 am »
Did you actually open a support ticket ?

Offline BrianLBeaton

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:51:31 am »
I raised a support ticket on 9/14/2013 at 5:20pm.

It read, in part, as follows:

"I purchased a First Alert Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm from Lowe's.  It is made for the IRIS system and its model number is ZCOMBO.  The User's Manual for the Alarm states:  "The alarm will work with 3rd party, certified Z-wave devices."

I paired it with my Vera 3 system which is running firmware version 1.5.622.  My Vera 3 configured it as follows:

name: _AV_Misc
device_type: urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:avmisc:1
device_file: D_AvMisc1.xml

According to the Info Viewer Plug-in, Z-Wave device information is as follows:

_AV Misc --> zw node: 165
Capabilities: 83,156,0,4,161,0,R,B,RS,|32,112,113:1,114,128,133,134,

Listens             : no
Routes              : yes
Has a Beam receiver : no
Can transmit a Beam : yes
Routing slave       : yes
Security device     : no

32   BASIC
112  CONFIGURATION, CONFIGURATION_V2
113  ALARM
114  MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
128  BATTERY
133  ASSOCIATION, ASSOCIATION_V2
134  VERSION

What else needs to be done so that I can use it as a CO/Smoke Alarm with my Vera 3?"

On 9/18, the MCV Technical Support Team said:

"I've made some changes on your unit and now the sensor should be detected as a smoke sensor by Vera.  Can you wake it up to configure and see how it works ?  Also it would be great if you can exclude and re-include the sensor and test it out, but be sure that 'Verbose logging' from SETUP > Logs. This way we would get detailed logs from the unit to analyze. Let me know how it goes."

On 9/18, I responded:

"My Vera3 now sees it as a Smoke Sensor.  I woke it up and Vera configured it.  I created a Notification to tell me when the sensor is tripped.  I set off the sensor using smoke and did not receive any notification.   I enabled verbose logging, then I removed excluded it and re-included it.  I recreated a Notification to tell me when the sensor is tripped.  I set off the sensor using smoke and did not receive any notification.  In the Advanced tab for the Smoke Sensor, there does not appear to be a Device parameter for Tripped.  What next"

On 9/20 I added:
"I set off the Smoke Sensor again this morning using smoke, yet again, I did not receive any notification.

The log for that time frame indicated the following for the smoke sensor:

02   09/20/13 10:54:59.610   ctrl_chr[33;1mZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Alarm node 166 device 367 alarm code 1ctrl_chr[0m <0x2bb23680>
02   09/20/13 10:55:23.207   ctrl_chr[33;1mZWaveNode::HandlePollUpdate_Alarm node 166 device 367 alarm code 1ctrl_chr[0m <0x2bb23680>"

On 9/20, MCV replied:

"I discussed with one of my colleagues from the development team and we need to investigate it further.Because this smoke sensor is a newer device it uses custom z-wave command classes and we need to see how we can add support for them. Also as far as I can see from the manual the smoke sensor shouldn't send a tripped state when it detects smoke, as it should actually send you an alarm instead. The alarm is actually a trigger or notification that smoke was detected on the interface and it can be used to trigger a scene."

On 9/21 I responded:
"I set up a scene using "Smoke Alarm is activated" as a trigger.  Then I tested the Smoke sensor with actual smoke again.  The scene did not trigger."
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:07:46 am by Beaton303 »

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 11:28:26 am »
I have one of these and support has made it so that it is a smoke detector. Can you tell me how you woke it up so it could be configured? Once I'm past that stage, I think I can help do some troubleshooting.

Thanks