We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wall mounted tablet charging  (Read 29935 times)

Offline tomgru

Re: Wall mounted tablet charging
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:38 am »
By plugpack i mean a usb charger like you get with your phone...but i used a quality one.

No not up to code but i dont think there is anything out there that would be. - at least not without making it very ugly.

I could put the plugpack up in the ceiling easily enough... or i could put it within an earthed metal box, but i ran this combo for months on my desk in test and it never gets warm, even when charging tablet from 0%.

ah... got it.  Hey, are you calling mine ugly????   :D  At least it's code. 

Offline gregl

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2014, 01:57:37 am »
Hey, are you calling mine ugly????   :D  At least it's code. 

Haha - actually yours is really neat! Ive not seen any recessed GPO's like this for Australia...

Mine still has the advantage of just a small ( 8mm) hole to patch and paint if i remove the tablet ...although this may be a moot point if the fire destroyed the house! ;-)

Offline tomgru

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 09:55:40 am »
Hey, are you calling mine ugly????   :D  At least it's code. 

Haha - actually yours is really neat! Ive not seen any recessed GPO's like this for Australia...

Mine still has the advantage of just a small ( 8mm) hole to patch and paint if i remove the tablet ...although this may be a moot point if the fire destroyed the house! ;-)

😁

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 01:23:52 pm »
Here is some pics I just posted for a HP Slate with a Vesa Wall Mount. 

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22763.msg188456.html#msg188456
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline gregl

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 08:16:12 pm »
Looks really good AgileHumor.
I think next time i do some cat5 runs, ill prod one down to my wall mounted tablet and move the powersupply back to the switch.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »
I finally got around to mounting my tablet today.  I wanted something that was good looking, but gave me the flexibility to easily remove the tablet for upgrades/maintenance, or to change to another tablet in the future, etc.  Used a deep recessed outlet box, then installed an outlet with USB ports.

I didn't want to try to get into the back of the tablet (Acer) to hardware the power connection, so I found a USB cable with a 90 degree bend that I wrap behind.  You can clearly see it, but not too bad.  Maybe in the future, if I can find a 3D printer, i'll mock up some easy frames for these to make it a bit more clean.

I got around to trying to build a frame to hide the USB plug and make the wall mount look a bit more professional.  Bought a small deep (almost letterbox like) frame at a local store.  Then, thanks to my neighbor's router, was able to widen the inside to hold the tablet.  A dremel took care of the USB notch and a spot for the front facing camera.  Adding some thin foam to the sides to hold it tight... and it just slips on and stays put.  No Wall anchor needed.   

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:15:48 pm by tomgru »

Offline gregl

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 01:55:43 am »
Hey Tom, Looks very nice!

Far less ugly ;D ;D

Offline AgileHumor

• KISS
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:43 am »
Amazing what a little wood does.  Looks slick sir.
WMC Leviton:18xVPE06,8xVRS15,3xVRP03-W,2xVRR15,4xVRCS4,2xVRCS2,VP00R,8xVRS15 Aeon:5xDSC06106,4xDSC24,4xDSC25,12xDSB29,2xDSC11,4xDSB54,DSB05,3xDSA22,DSA38,2xDSA03202B,DSB09104,HEM Other:3xYale,12xHSM100v3,7xSP103,45604,WDHA-12,SSA2USR,EVLCD1T,6xWWA02A,7xIPC-HFW2100,URTSI,Hue,Russound,OpenSprinker

Offline tomgru

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 10:18:04 am »
LOL... thanks guys

Offline kboxvegas

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 02:47:43 am »
At first I toyed with the idea of wall mounting a tablet but I am really happy using our retired 1st Gen nexus 7 tablets with the official asus "pogo pin" docks. You can put them almost anywhere, there are no ugly cords or unplugging tiny connectors. You can just grab them whenever you want for htpc control,  monitoring cameras, and etc. We have three around the house since everyone has upgraded to bigger ones along the way but they are rock solid. Thus soultion impresses the hell out of everyone who sees it, the only thing imperihome is lacking IMO is an alarm panel for my ad2usb.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2014, 10:25:28 am »
At first I toyed with the idea of wall mounting a tablet but I am really happy using our retired 1st Gen nexus 7 tablets with the official asus "pogo pin" docks. You can put them almost anywhere, there are no ugly cords or unplugging tiny connectors. You can just grab them whenever you want for htpc control,  monitoring cameras, and etc. We have three around the house since everyone has upgraded to bigger ones along the way but they are rock solid. Thus soultion impresses the hell out of everyone who sees it, the only thing imperihome is lacking IMO is an alarm panel for my ad2usb.

I can activate my alarm fine. What are you missing specifically?

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2014, 10:48:22 am »
I got around to trying to build a frame to hide the USB plug and make the wall mount look a bit more professional.  Bought a small deep (almost letterbox like) frame at a local store.  Then, thanks to my neighbor's router, was able to widen the inside to hold the tablet.  A dremel took care of the USB notch and a spot for the front facing camera.  Adding some thin foam to the sides to hold it tight... and it just slips on and stays put.  No Wall anchor needed.

Looks great!  You probably have seen my HP Touchpad mount from a while back, but if not here is a link.  It uses inductive charging, but I added my own magnets.  I am looking to add a couple more, possibly smaller tablets and the Nexus looks interesting.

http://hackaday.com/2013/07/03/perfect-wall-mounted-tablet-integration/
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline tomgru

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:10 am »

Looks great!  You probably have seen my HP Touchpad mount from a while back, but if not here is a link.  It uses inductive charging, but I added my own magnets.  I am looking to add a couple more, possibly smaller tablets and the Nexus looks interesting.

http://hackaday.com/2013/07/03/perfect-wall-mounted-tablet-integration/

I drooled over that months ago... just didn't have the chops to pull that off. Plus, I didn't want to really go to hard on the inductive charging route, as I wanted to keep the tablet cost pretty cheap so I could swap out if need be.  But mostly I was too nervous to give that a try! :-)

Offline Vodden

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 12:04:54 am »
I have attached a few pictures of the unit I have ordered from Geekland which is a 7 inch android 4.0 in-wall unit built by the same people that build the desktop unit for HomeSeer.  Incidentally, that same unit is available thru Geekland as well.  I haven't received this yet, but I hope to get it within the next week.  I ordered it with a battery back-up and it is POE powered.  They also have 9" units available and in both black and white.  It can also be ordered to use an external power source and connect via WIFI, but POE worked better for me so that is what I decided to go with.  It can also be ordered with a Zigbee module.  IMO this is the perfect economical solution to the wall mount tablet issue. 
Vera 3 v1.5.622, Sharp Aquos, DSC 1864, EVL-3, (2) iPhone 6, Kwikset 912, Kwikset 910, (2) Linear WT00Z-1, (2) Linear WS15Z-1, (2) Linear WD500Z-1, (2) Evolve LTM-5, (8.) Aeotec micro-dimmer,  (3) Aeotec micro-switch, (1) Cooper Aspire RF9500

Offline Jamr

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 02:21:57 am »
I have attached a few pictures of the unit I have ordered from Geekland which is a 7 inch android 4.0 in-wall unit built by the same people that build the desktop unit for HomeSeer.  Incidentally, that same unit is available thru Geekland as well.  I haven't received this yet, but I hope to get it within the next week.  I ordered it with a battery back-up and it is POE powered.  They also have 9" units available and in both black and white.  It can also be ordered to use an external power source and connect via WIFI, but POE worked better for me so that is what I decided to go with.  It can also be ordered with a Zigbee module.  IMO this is the perfect economical solution to the wall mount tablet issue.

Let us know how you like their products and how well they work with your system.
What apps are you going to run on them?