We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wall mounted tablet charging  (Read 30859 times)

Offline mzpost

Wall mounted tablet charging
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:07:01 am »
I have a wall mounted tablet to control vera and currently I have scene which turns the tablet charger on and off.

It would be nice if this scene could be triggered automatically by the tablet using the battery level rather than the scene running on time based conditions. I assume that I could probably get the app to trigger the scene in such a was using tasked or similar but thought it might be nice if this was built into the app itself. As long as you have a "charger on" and "charger off" scene the app would only need to fire the scene once the battery on the tablet reached a certain point.

Just a thought that would make running the app on dedicated tablets easier especially with having the tablets on all the time (which I believe they should be so you don't have to wait for it to sync when you turn it on).

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
Re: Wall mounted tablet charging
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:16:16 am »
Use Tasker to sense the battery level and initiate a corrective action.

Offline mzpost

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 10:26:11 am »
So I've loaded tasker and set up two tasks one to trigger the app to turn on the charger at 10% battery life and the other to turn it off at 100% battery life. Both tasks run as expected when you press the "play" button on them. I've then created a profile that contains them both but not sure that really runs them as expected. Tasker shows which profile is running (I have two, one for each task). Is this the right way to go about it ?

Offline Cor

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:34:41 am »
@MZpost , can you go deeper into detail please, I am setting up something similar in the near future.

How do you switch off the charger , with a wallplug?

Thanks
Cor

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:03 pm »
I have a wall mounted tablet to control vera and currently I have scene which turns the tablet charger on and off.

It would be nice if this scene could be triggered automatically by the tablet using the battery level rather than the scene running on time based conditions. I assume that I could probably get the app to trigger the scene in such a was using tasked or similar but thought it might be nice if this was built into the app itself. As long as you have a "charger on" and "charger off" scene the app would only need to fire the scene once the battery on the tablet reached a certain point.

Just a thought that would make running the app on dedicated tablets easier especially with having the tablets on all the time (which I believe they should be so you don't have to wait for it to sync when you turn it on).

Out of pure curiosity, Why do you do this? Why not just keep the tablet charged up all the time instead of going through constant recharging cycles? (and I'm seriously curious, not making any judgments here).

As to the "how". I think tasker would just be the quickest and easiest way to accomplish it.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline mzpost

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:36:33 pm »
My logic is this, if you have the tablet with the charger on all the time it is actually bad for the batty and also uses power that is not needed. Hence setting up something that runs a scene to charge the battery when it reaches a certain level means it will charge and the charger will go off again when the battery is charged. That means you won't need to charge your tablet often and makes its more efficient. The problem I've had is that my tablet runs down faster than it will charge when running imperihome so I need to find a new tablet. The charger has plenty of oomph, it's just for some reason it won't charge and keep up. I'll look at this again when I've got the new tablet.

Offline Cor

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 04:04:48 pm »
Cycles is what modern batteries wear.   Keep it charged all the time will be the best for long life.

Cor

Offline gregl

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 12:56:38 am »
I was thinking about the best /cleanest way to Wall mount a tablet this morning... i dont see a problem with it constantly connected to the charger, as these devices will monitor the battery level and only charge up when needed - basically as Cor says.

The problem i have is how to mount it so the power cable is invisible...fortunantly my target tablet would be Nexus7.
The 2012 model has pogo pins which could be connected to using small wires running to a standard USB charger hidden in the wall and powered from the light circuit. ( or power if nearby and accessible)
Nexus 7 pogo pin-outs http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1800099

Then i thought about using a wireless charger with the 2013 Nexus7 as you can buy cheap QI chargers for about $14.. just glue it to the back of the tablet, cable through the wall to the USB charger as above....

If only there were some nice ready to use "flush" wallmounts for the Nexus tablets...

And even better if Imperihome supported waking from camera on the Nexus7. ;-)

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 01:15:52 am »
Why reinvent the wheel when something already exists for motion detection:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.jastrzab.move

- Garrett

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:36 am »
I'm currently using Authomation HD on a Chinese knockoff Galaxy Note 3 that I picked up cheap on a trip to Beijing. I have it mounted on the end of some cabinets at the entrance to the kitchen and use a small plug in cellphone charger to power it.

I've ordered several more inexpensive Android tablets ($60) for other locations around the house. The challenge is finding a way to get power to them without wires hanging everywhere.
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline rgtwng

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:49 am »
I am also searching for some sort of wall mount enclosure for a tablet. Hiding the charging cable behind a bezel of some sort would be great. I am really surprised that no one makes something. Building a dock into the enclosure with a USB connection would be a great way to do it.

Offline Leifgg

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 04:02:22 pm »
Hi,

Did a wall mount by using a picture frame. Cabling hidden behind and there is even room for a small USB charger.

Offline gregl

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »
Looks good... but for me, i really want flush mount, or as flush as possible.

Thinking more about it yesterday, cutting it into the drywall probably isnt such a good idea anyway as if/when the tablet fails/upgrade needed then you need to find a suitable sized replacement and mounting it exactly where you want it may mean there is no stud to mount it on etc...
So i thought about using 3M command strips - they are strong enough, removable etc..
or some of the covers like the one i have: http://www.androidcentral.com/nillkin-leather-flip-cover-nexus-7
has quite a sturdy unobtrusive clip for holding the tablet... i thought i could remove the fabric/leather from it and screw the plastic backing onto the wall and feed through some small wires for charging attached to the pogo pins...or soldered internally to the pogo pins...
this way only a few small holes to patch in the drywall if/when its removed.

Thanks Garrett for the heads up to the Motion detection app...will try it..

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14:40 pm »
Quote from: gregl link=topic=16448.msg141713#msg141713 87242670
Looks good... but for me, i really want flush mount, or as flush as possible.

Thinking more about it yesterday, cutting it into the drywall probably isnt such a good idea anyway as if/when the tablet fails/upgrade needed then you need to find a suitable sized replacement and mounting it exactly where you want it may mean there is no stud to mount it on etc...
So i thought about using 3M command strips - they are strong enough, removable etc..
or some of the covers like the one i have: http://www.androidcentral.com/nillkin-leather-flip-cover-nexus-7
has quite a sturdy unobtrusive clip for holding the tablet... i thought i could remove the fabric/leather from it and screw the plastic backing onto the wall and feed through some small wires for charging attached to the pogo pins...or soldered internally to the pogo pins...
this way only a few small holes to patch in the drywall if/when its removed.

Thanks Garrett for the heads up to the Motion detection app...will try it..

I use the Command Strips to mount the Note 3 knockoff
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline Roy

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:52 am »
I'm currently using Authomation HD on a Chinese knockoff Galaxy Note 3 that I picked up cheap on a trip to Beijing. I have it mounted on the end of some cabinets at the entrance to the kitchen and use a small plug in cellphone charger to power it.

I've ordered several more inexpensive Android tablets ($60) for other locations around the house. The challenge is finding a way to get power to them without wires hanging everywhere.

Did you already install the cheap Andriod tablets? I have some bad experience with tablets which came from the Chinese market, because many Apps are not build for these kinds of tablets. What is your experience so far with you Galaxy Note 3 (from China)?