We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Wall mounted tablet charging  (Read 30085 times)

Offline Cor

Re: Wall mounted tablet charging
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 04:39:56 am »
I got this one recently:
http://www.tinydeal.com/101-android-422-atm7021-dual-core-tablet-w-wifi-otg-hdmi-p-121903.html

cheap,
android 4.2.2: autovera, imperihome, authomation, tasker,secure settings basically all you need runs on it.
easy to dismantle:  I soldered to cables on the back,so there is no wire comming from the side.
The backplate is screwed  on the wall , so no extra hinges needed or so.

Cor

Offline Javelin

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 05:37:00 am »
I got this one recently:
http://www.tinydeal.com/101-android-422-atm7021-dual-core-tablet-w-wifi-otg-hdmi-p-121903.html

cheap,
android 4.2.2: autovera, imperihome, authomation, tasker,secure settings basically all you need runs on it.
easy to dismantle:  I soldered to cables on the back,so there is no wire comming from the side.
The backplate is screwed  on the wall , so no extra hinges needed or so.

Cor

Any chance of a more detailed review? at this price point looks very interesting they have lots of other models available on this website aswell.

Was it easy to remove the backplate and reroute cables?

Would be interesting if you could move the audio and hdmi cable through to the back. Could see it being a nice squeeze server client.

And power with one of these for a total of $200

http://www.vidabox.com/vcharger-power-over-cat5-poe-like-usb-charger.html?___store=aus

Offline Cor

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:53:26 am »
Offcourse:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,24876.msg176538.html#msg176538

Although this was my previous one with android 4.0 , the new one internal electronics are the same.

Audio is nu issue to rewire, HDMI , I don't know, probably yes, the connector is quite easily accesable from the inside , but I don't know how much wires HDMI have.

The one from the pictures had 2 screws , and than plastic hooks which hold the backplate. The new one ( from the link) just have the plastic hooks ,noproblem to remove the backplate.

I just soldered 2wires where the powerplug is, very easy.

Good luck,
Cor
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:08:41 am by Cor »

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 11:58:13 am »
As another option, here is a 22" one that suports vesa mounting, has HDMI in, ethernet in, and the jacks are recessed in the back:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/viewsonic-22-full-hd-touch-smart-display?ref=cnt_dly_img

I'm gonna pick one up. I know it only has honey comb and is a tad slow, but I figured it will likely only be used for Imperihom, hulu, netflix, etc. and it has the bonus of an hdmi in, so it can work as a monitor as well. Thinking of putting it maybe in my master bathroom or centrally in the house. If anything, it will make an "ok" tv for one of the kids. Just either have them use android, or hook up a roku to it.
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline Javelin

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:50:23 pm »
22inch quite large.

I think 12inch would be idle for kitchen

Im waiting a few days to see if I can find something better than the previous mentioned tablet. Wish more tablet makers put the connections on the back like Tv's these days..

If anyone finds one with ethernet and usb charging id be very interested as you could eliminate wires and ugly power packs.

Offline SirMeili

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
22inch quite large.

I think 12inch would be idle for kitchen

Im waiting a few days to see if I can find something better than the previous mentioned tablet. Wish more tablet makers put the connections on the back like Tv's these days..

If anyone finds one with ethernet and usb charging id be very interested as you could eliminate wires and ugly power packs.

You could just do what @AgileHumor did and use a poe injector (what I plan to use as well). Also note that the hup and viewsonics both have connections on the back an vesa mounting.

I realize that 22" seems big but for the price you can't really get a 12" one with Ethernet and the mounting options with back connections.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
VeraLite (Live); ISY 994i (Live); Vera 3 (Waiting to replace VeraLite); Vera Edge (Waiting for all the bugs to be fixed); Xuan StackBox (Testing and waiting for more plugins and for it to mature)
Countless z-wave and insteon devices :D

Offline tomgru

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »
I finally got around to mounting my tablet today.  I wanted something that was good looking, but gave me the flexibility to easily remove the tablet for upgrades/maintenance, or to change to another tablet in the future, etc.  Used a deep recessed outlet box, then installed an outlet with USB ports.

I didn't want to try to get into the back of the tablet (Acer) to hardware the power connection, so I found a USB cable with a 90 degree bend that I wrap behind.  You can clearly see it, but not too bad.  Maybe in the future, if I can find a 3D printer, i'll mock up some easy frames for these to make it a bit more clean. 

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:29 pm »
Excellent dude. I've been racking my brain with some method for the tf101 tablet but little luck and the charging cable stinks with limited options for modifications to hide it.

Offline daved

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 04:03:09 pm »
This is really cool! I was trying to think of ways you could hide the USB cable, but unless your tablet supports wireless charging I think it's a necessary evil to have it sticking out. However, if others wanted, you could use a new Nexus 7 (supports wireless charging and has magnets to hold it in place) to wall mount without anything being seen. The super cool part is that you could take the tablet off the wall at any time! Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJKndNW-tPA

Offline tomgru

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »
I thought about wireless charging, but it really raises the price, either in terms of the tablet you buy, or the price/oppty cost to modify one.  And i wanted to keep the price down, with also making it easier to change out tablets should the need arise.  (it dies, get a bigger size, etc).

These Asus were about $120, and the extra parts maybe $40.  Still cheaper than a Leviton Scene controller, plus you can run other apps, like Sonos, etc.

Offline gregl

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 01:19:54 am »

I bought a cheap ($70 AUD) Quad core Android 4.4 tablet and wall mounted it -some pics here :http://imgur.com/a/itmto

I didnt want any visible wires and since its cost was low was ok with opening it up and soldering some fine wires to the usb charging pins - fortunately i found two good sized pads to solder onto. I routed these wires out through the speaker grill and through a hole in the wall.
In the wall i have a quality plugpack connected to the fine wires.

Offline tomgru

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:39 am »

I bought a cheap ($70 AUD) Quad core Android 4.4 tablet and wall mounted it -some pics here :http://imgur.com/a/itmto

I didnt want any visible wires and since its cost was low was ok with opening it up and soldering some fine wires to the usb charging pins - fortunately i found two good sized pads to solder onto. I routed these wires out through the speaker grill and through a hole in the wall.
In the wall i have a quality plugpack connected to the fine wires.

looks great! How did you secure it to the wall?

Also, what is that cool looking switch below it?

Offline gregl

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »
I used 3m "command strips".. So they are easy to remove as needed. This tablet is really lightweight.

The light switch is a Clipsal Saturn plate with bell press mechs wired to a fibraro dimmer and a double aeon in wall switch. I used this wallplate hole in the drywall to hide and power the tablets plugpack... Easy with a neutral already there for aeon module..

Offline tomgru

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 07:25:30 pm »
I used 3m "command strips".. So they are easy to remove as needed. This tablet is really lightweight.

The light switch is a Clipsal Saturn plate with bell press mechs wired to a fibraro dimmer and a double aeon in wall switch. I used this wallplate hole in the drywall to hide and power the tablets plugpack... Easy with a neutral already there for aeon module..

i use the 3M strips as well... great and easy.

OK... i did a search on Plugpack, but honestly not sure what you mean?  Looks like a transformer of sorts.  Is this something you can wire directly to load?  Not sure that's up to code if that is what you mean. 

Sorry if i'm not understanding... just really interested in other ways to do this.

Offline gregl

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
By plugpack i mean a usb charger like you get with your phone...but i used a quality one.

No not up to code but i dont think there is anything out there that would be. - at least not without making it very ugly.

I could put the plugpack up in the ceiling easily enough... or i could put it within an earthed metal box, but i ran this combo for months on my desk in test and it never gets warm, even when charging tablet from 0%.