Author Topic: battery mode not working as described  (Read 1168 times)

Offline JoeStrout

• Sr. Newbie
battery mode not working as described
« on: July 07, 2015, 10:48:13 pm »
Over the last week I've successfully managed to pair several devices with my VeraLite, but that was all by bringing the device to the Vera.  Today I'm trying to pair a switch in the wall, so I need to use battery mode to bring Vera to the switch, and it's not working as described in the FAQ.

When I unplug the controller, it goes dead.  Then I hold the battery button for several seconds, and the blue light comes on and start to blink.  Wait a while, it goes solid, and the orange Ready then blinks 1/second, signalling include mode.  So far so good.

Per the recommendations in the FAQ, I press the "-" button to switch to exclude mode.  Orange light blinks faster, and when I then hold it near the switch and tap the switch, the orange light flutters to indicate exclusion.  Still good.

Now I want to actually include the device, so I press the "+" button.  Light switches to 1-Hz flash, indicating include mode, as expected.  But when I hold it near the switch and tap the switch again, instead of a confirmation flutter, the orange light goes out, and except for the solid blue light, the unit appears unresponsive.  No further button presses cause any change.  (Not expected.)

When I then plug the device back into power and ethernet, and connect to the control panel, I see that it has the switch in its device list, but whenever I try to do anything with it, I get "Cannoct contact device, error code: 1" (followed a short while after by "/!\  Setting the name".  It does not respond, even though I have another node (an Aeon appliance switch) in the same room, slightly further away from the Vera.

So I don't think it's a range issue; I think it's somehow related to the weird behavior when I try to include the device.  Has anybody seen this sort of behavior before?  Any ideas what to try next?

[EDIT: I also tried the whole procedure again, but skipping exclude mode and going straight from battery boot to pressing the switch in inclusion mode.  Same effect: ready light goes out, unit becomes unresponsive, resulting device doesn't work.]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:55:08 pm by JoeStrout »

Offline JoeStrout

• Sr. Newbie
Re: battery mode not working as described
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:00:40 pm »
And here's a strange observation: I set up Night mode to turn this light off (along with the others).  When I test that, boom!  Light goes right out.  Yet Vera still insists it can't contact the device, and is unable to turn it back on.

What the heck is going on?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
From your description, your device has included successfully.

Your inability to control the device, after moving Vera to a different location, is likely due to a range and/or routing issue. Both of these issues can usually be resolved by adding intermediate Z-Wave nodes to provide a reliable route between Vera and the device. If you are confident that there are already enough such devices, then a network heal should resolve the routing issue.

Network heal operations occur automatically each night. Your problem may already have resolved itself, again assuming that there are intermediate Z-Wave nodes to provide a reliable route.

Offline JoeStrout

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 11:06:25 am »
Hmm.  So, contrary to the FAQ, the ready light shouldn't flutter and then go back to 1 Hz blinking after including a device?

And, is there any way to force a "network heal" manually?  Having to wait for the next day before my device can start working is suboptimal.

(Note that I have a working relay device right next to the switch, so yeah, I'm pretty confident this should work.)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:44:14 pm »
Hmm.  So, contrary to the FAQ, the ready light shouldn't flutter and then go back to 1 Hz blinking after including a device?
Different people report different experiences. What matters is that the device showed up in the UI, therefore it has been included.

And, is there any way to force a "network heal" manually?
Setup -> Z-Wave Settings -> Repair

(Note that I have a working relay device right next to the switch, so yeah, I'm pretty confident this should work.)
You'll come to find that this does not necessarily mean anything. Range and routing issues are the absolute most common causes of the issues that you describe. There could be other issues, including a bad switch, but that probability is much lower.