We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 3-way switch kit vs regular on/off switch - and deals on switches  (Read 9595 times)

Offline justauser

Re: 3-way switch kit vs regular on/off switch - and deals on switches
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 08:19:42 pm »
For future reference people on this forum are very supportive of each other.  When you find a deal like that help out the forum community and post the sale while it's still in effect.  Your peers on this forum will appreciate it and it's a nice way to pay back all the great support you will get here.

I did post it.  I guess it's just not a nation wide thing and was only happening in my local Lowes. 

Offline justauser

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 02:47:33 am »
I'd just like to add real quick to this thread in case someone searches a similar questions and finds this...I was able to replace one of my existing non z-wave 3-way switches with a regular (not 3-way kit) z-wave switch and it worked exactly like I assumed it would work in my 1st and 2nd posts.  It will work and controls the light as long as the other non z-wave switch on the 3-way circuit is in the on position.  Again, not sure if the people who were helping me in this thread just misunderstood my question or if I worked some magic but it works as I assumed. 

Thanks again to those that helped me with this question.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful in this post, just wanted to post my findings in case someone stumbles across it wondering the same thing. 

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 11:47:37 am »
I have buyed my products in:

http://thesmartesthouse.com/

good products, and fast delivery, very good price for the quality.

I think you can check this too.

Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline macvangelist

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 10:01:35 am »
For what it's worth, there ARE z-wave in-wall switches that function as a 3-way switch (or dimmer, depending on the model) that can use a standard wall switch for the remote.

I have been using the Intermatic switches/dimmers for a few years. Between my home and my parents' home, we probably have 30-40 of them installed.

They totally rock as far as flexibility in wiring is concerned. If you want to use them with a 3-way circuit, you wire the master in as usual and then you bridge the two hot terminals on the original remote switch. When you flip the remote switch, the master sees that as a signal to operate the light. It is capable of functioning as a 4 or 5 way, too, I believe, but I've never tried it.

For a while I was finding an amazing deal on them through an ebay vendor for $100 shipped for a 6 pack of either the dimmer model, switch model, or 110v outlet packs.

Lately I haven't seen the anymore, so I'm glad I bought a boat load of them!

They don't support instant status, either, but who cares if you can replace the majority of your home's switches for a couple hundred bucks!?

Offline Piwtorak

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 10:48:49 am »
I think the actual problem is with zwave dimmers....

because we are installing each time more led lamps, is difficulty find dimmers to works with led lamps...

now I am installing resistors to the circuits for my led lamps do not flicker...

Led lamps are the future, I think the dimmers must be able to work with that.

Vera3 (1), Airport Extreme (2), Apple TV (3), Sqblaster (1), GE Switch (3), GE Dimmer (1), Leviton VRCSZ2 (2), GE 45601 (1), Intermatic HA03 (2), GE Zwave Outlet (1), Remote Control Curtain (1) and growing.

Offline virginian

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 02:19:12 pm »
I'd just like to add real quick to this thread in case someone searches a similar questions and finds this...I was able to replace one of my existing non z-wave 3-way switches with a regular (not 3-way kit) z-wave switch and it worked exactly like I assumed it would work in my 1st and 2nd posts.  It will work and controls the light as long as the other non z-wave switch on the 3-way circuit is in the on position.  Again, not sure if the people who were helping me in this thread just misunderstood my question or if I worked some magic but it works as I assumed. 

Thanks again to those that helped me with this question.  I'm not trying to be disrespectful in this post, just wanted to post my findings in case someone stumbles across it wondering the same thing.

justauser , with CA600 switch you will be able to use your remote  non z-wave switch as well.

CA600 switches discontinued but still are available here:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Browse-Products?search=ca600