We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: CEDIA 2013 - MiCasaVerde changes name to Vera and suggest UI7  (Read 72569 times)

Offline DrZWave

• Z-Wave Expert
Re: CEDIA 2013 - MiCasaVerde changes name to Vera and suggest UI7
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2013, 05:34:04 pm »
HomeSeer Zee is $199 (low cost).
Uses only 6W (low power).
Highly extensible with lots of 3rd party plugins (some of which cost $).
Good UI - maybe not great but still evolving.
Based on Raspberry Pi so you put LOTS of customizations under it.

I have demoed one but not extensively so far. Seems stable though HS3 is still in beta and a bit buggy but less so than Vera.

I also recently purchased the Iris system from Lowes to demo.
Seems reliable but ONLY talks to "Iris compatible" devices. While you can join any zwave device and simple things like switches seem to work, many devices like wall controllers and thermostats probably won't (I haven't tried any yet).
It is cloud based so there has to be an internet connection for it to run.
But no port forwarding needed.
Definitely geared for soccer moms. But they are putting out a LOT of advertising including TV ads.

I want to try out the Staples Connect system from Zonoff.

All of the above have zero subscription fees. Lowes and staples systems are $99 for the hub and starter kits cost a few hundred depending on what's in them (cameras, thermostats and especially doorlocks up the price). Lowes has a subscription fee for additional features and a cell backup internet connection for only $4.95/mo which I think is quite reasonable for a big boost in reliability given the common failure of my cable company to provide internet access.

There were a lot of other new guys at Cedia so I suspect this space might take off and new players will zoom in and jump all over anyone who isn't releasing major new revs on a quarterly basis.

Watch out Vera!

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »
In all honesty, am update to Vera's Web UI to me is of very low priority to me. It's not the best but it works. The only time I use it is if I can't do it via Authomation or Imperihome on my Touchpad's or my LG G2.

To mew highest priority is stability of the core and improved support for z-wave devices (waiting impatiently for Lowe's Iris smoke detector to be fully supported by Vera) as well as better IP camera support. I'm transitioning my IP camera's away from Vera to Blue Iris due to that.

I also agree that a sizable part of Vera's success is due to community support, from the plug-in's to the Android an iOS apps. I agree that Vera's lack of presence here but seemingly concentrating on Facebook is disconcerting. There is a lot of experience with the platform as well as knowledge that could be harvested to improve the platform. 
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline Jasper

• Sr. Newbie

Offline Tank

Offline n0ir

« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2014, 10:33:18 am »
Geofencing seems great! I have (not very successfully... :S) tried to achieve this by using the iPhoneLocator app in combination with automatic bluetooth connection to a wall-mounted tablet in the house, but using the wifi would be much easier.

Offline LightsOn

« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2014, 11:16:30 am »
hmmm interesting.  Geofencing is for sure of interest but I am interested to see the logic they use to determining  leaving and returning the 'geofence' and other issues. I have a similar set up working as do many others and there are issues that can cause reliability / stability.  Will be interesting to review its implementation - if stable and useable it will be great.

New UI.. good stuff but not a big one for me.

Pleased to see continued development though - always a good thing.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2014, 12:08:14 pm »
GeoFencing based on 1 technology is not going to be reliable for all requirements.

Wifi connection attempt (Noticing the DHCP request for IP address) might be useful as an arrival ... but not as a departure event.
    You really need something more like a GPS with a postive reading to indicate you are NOT home.
    A positive GPS reading could indicate you are home ... but my GPS does not work reliably indoors.
    Depending where my phone is located ... it does not always work well when I am driving.

Offline TC1

« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2014, 12:14:33 pm »
To do Geo-fencing reliably one needs (for now) a beaconing system, usually a key fob with a small transmitter with limited range and a controller or sensing device that knows how to pick up the signal. Since one usually takes their car or house keys when they permanently leave the house (as opposed to just checking the mail or in the backyard), this works out well for most daily use cases.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »
I think the Key FOB also works as a positive sign that you are home.
But the absence is not a positive sign that you are NOT home.

Offline TC1

« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
I think the Key FOB also works as a positive sign that you are home.
But the absence is not a positive sign that you are NOT home.

...or a sign your teenage kid took your car out without permission. Again.

On the serious side, not sure there's any system that is foolproof in that respect, ie, detecting when you are not home since any sensor can temporarily lose signal. Maybe an algorithm of a *number* of sensors, such as fob, phone, GPS, wifi, etc, and then you look for a majority quorum to determine user state (home or not home).

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »
I've been using the ping sensor and a virtual switch for this. Phone is connected for 3 or more minutes and the switch turns on indicating presence. No ping for 3 minutes and it goes off. Seems to work OK but it's unreliable for things such as triggering a scene upon arrival. I tried using Tasker with AutoLocation and it caused MANY more issues than it solved. Also when Google Latitude was still up and running EVERY DAY it would report me in places I either hadn't been that day or ever.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2014, 02:52:04 pm »
I've been using the ping sensor and a virtual switch for this. Phone is connected for 3 or more minutes and the switch turns on indicating presence. No ping for 3 minutes and it goes off. Seems to work OK but it's unreliable for things such as triggering a scene upon arrival. I tried using Tasker with AutoLocation and it caused MANY more issues than it solved. Also when Google Latitude was still up and running EVERY DAY it would report me in places I either hadn't been that day or ever.

I have a similar setup using PLEG, Ping, Virtual Switch, AND Tasker (Network Location).... it works VERY well. I use delay times only on leaving, not arriving... and these do trigger scenes for my security system, even upon arrival.

I'll open a new thread in the PLEG section called "Geofencing & Occupancy Tracking - discussion thread"

want to move this there?

Offline LightsOn

« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2014, 04:05:57 pm »
@Aaron

Sounds great, I am working on my second vershion of this soloution curently. This one PLEG, previous was lua, timers and virtual switches, will be keen to se what you have.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Aaron

« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2014, 06:41:38 pm »
Thread started...
Geofencing & Occupancy Tracking - discussion thread
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,22644.0.html

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2014, 09:38:18 pm »
Well, the new UI7 interface looks promising:

http://www.affordamation.com/news/veras-updated-user-interface-making-home-automation-easier/

This is UI6

I believe this is UI7. Which is the full ui overhaul. UI6 is a cross between of ui5 and ui7.

- Garrett