We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: CEDIA 2013 - MiCasaVerde changes name to Vera and suggest UI7  (Read 72950 times)

Offline Aaron

Re: CEDIA 2013 - MiCasaVerde changes name to Vera and suggest UI7
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2013, 02:10:34 am »
Maybe we should ask Vera to deliver UI7 AND a support team too!?

I just looked at their http://getvera.com/about-us/team/ page... it "looks" like there is more than 1 person that works there, but you'd never know from the support we (don't) get. Maybe if we all start emailing the president Lew (lew@getvera.com) or we will be jumping ship to the numerous devices on the horizon or recently released (Almond +, Revolve, Iris, Vivint, Eblink, Connect Hub, etc)

andreimios

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2013, 09:13:01 am »
Everyone has the right to say his opinion, but we don't encourage this kind of posts. If you have problems, there are some other ways to deal with it, not spamming someone's email. Pleas share some of your bad experiences . This will be useful for us in a better understanding of users problems and finally  improve our services.

Offline chixxi

« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2013, 09:31:57 am »
I also don't agree with the strategy of @Aaron and I know from personal experience that emailing to mcv does not really help  ;)  But that is not the topic of this thread and should no further be discussed her in my opinion.

But since somebody from mcv is reading this: @mcv.andrei any news, updates, timelines, previews, teasers?

(And by the way, I am glad to see some new mcv employees becoming active in this forum. Welcome mcv.andrei!)
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

andreimios

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2013, 10:15:13 am »
Hi all with this occasion .
We are sorry for our "inactivity" lately, but our efforts are all focused in developing the new UI7. From now on, I will keep an eye on the forum. My forum time will be allocated mainly for helping developers, but I will try to look at other sections of the forum too.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32:35 pm »
mcv.andrei, I sure hope you are new. You have no idea of the history here - No one from MCV ever reads/responds to the forums and formal tech support, and developer support, used to be a joke - now it is simply blatant disrespect for your user/developer base.

We have lost several GREAT community members that were building great apps/code for Vera, shoring up areas where Vera is totally horrible or simply does not have:
complex conditional scenes (PLEG - still around, luckily)
logging/graphing (dataMine - developer recently gave up on MCV)
several from 325xi & ap15e who both gave up long ago

Let me be 100% clear... the ONLY reason the Vera device is worth using is because of the apps the community has built. Period! Without them the Vera device is a dev-kit and that is all... NOT an end user device. This opinion is not just mine, but many, many bloggers, HA enthusiasts and professional reviewers all across the Internet.

Vera has a ton of competition building up steam from companies who seem to care about their customers and support them actively... the Vera device/app is lacking many, many features/functions and support is simply non-existent. 

Example: I posted about the 3 IP cam apps that all seem t do exactly the same thing. They keep getting updated with ZERO explanation as to which one we should be using and when!?

If MCV would spend 30 seconds making ANY effort it would make a huge difference.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:49:20 pm by Aaron »

Offline ntk

« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2013, 01:22:34 pm »
I agree with Aaron, the only reason I chose vera and not fibaro home center 2 is the great community and plugins that people here developed, without them I will buy the fibaro without even think twice, I really hope that the UI7 will bring big change, and also hope to see big change in the android app

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Offline Thiemen

« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:26 pm »
i also agree with Aaron, his way of saying lets email to the president, isn't the right way... but we got at least a response from someone @mcv in the forum, which has been a long time ago...

I just do not understand why mcv doesn't follow the forum/seem to care for their own customer base?
Together we create Vera to what it is capable, so why not someone from mcv who is responsable for monitoring, suggesting and so on for the forum.

E.g. a request for IFTT seams never to be answered, for such a long time, why not keep in contact with your customers that are willing to help/suggest?

Sometimes NO is also an answer, but then at least tell us why, so we can understand, instead of never communicating.
I hope things will change, maybe you can make a start with us???

Offline Da_JoJo

• If something aint work, we can allways try n make
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2013, 11:20:45 pm »
me too agree with aaron on the part of that vera's succes is totally coz of users and the great community and not by the holding-his-hand-up-for-money-president.
there is a severe lack of listening to the customers and developers of plugins. this is really the first thing that should be changed and it would make vera a hell-of-a-lot better.
its not like we are noobs and don't know what we are talking about (well.. at least some of us.. i consider myself a pro-noob :=P) and best of all.. we don't ask great amounts of money for the work we do.
anyways..
welkom to the forum @mcv.andrei and i hope you can find the time to bridge the gap between us and the vera development team.
for the rest.. do not mail the president. it will do as much as mailing to obama does.. taking him from the important job he need to do.

edit: o.. i forgot ..  PLEASE update the forum to 2.05 !!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:23:17 pm by Da_JoJo »
Vera lite (1.5.622), 2x an-158/2, dead usb pl2302 rs-232, 2x greenwave 6 port, 4x Fibaro FGD211 v1.6, FGBS001, few FGS - 221, etc. AuthomationHD 3 for android :-)
Dutch & German translator http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Special:AllPages http://support.micasaverde.com http://domotica-shop.nl

Offline Ramias

« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2013, 10:14:40 pm »
Let me be 100% clear... the ONLY reason the Vera device is worth using is because of the apps the community has built. Period! Without them the Vera device is a dev-kit and that is all... NOT an end user device. This opinion is not just mine, but many, many bloggers, HA enthusiasts and professional reviewers all across the Internet.

^This.

The only Zwave device I have are my locks.  The Nest, Sonos, DSC Alarm, Yamaha Stereo, IP Cameras, Web Service Temp sensor.... are all controlled via plugins developed by the great community here...

Now, if only I could get somebody to take me up on my offer of writing a plugin for my Lutron Radio RA2 for cash.... :D  I tried to develop myself, but as has been pointed out, this is not an end-user device.

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:19 am »
Hi all with this occasion .
We are sorry for our "inactivity" lately, but our efforts are all focused in developing the new UI7. From now on, I will keep an eye on the forum. My forum time will be allocated mainly for helping developers, but I will try to look at other sections of the forum too.

Lately?!?
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline micasaverde

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:59 pm »
Here's the dilemma we face...  When we pushed UI5 out, the new user interface had a different layout and this broke compatibility with some plugins that had their own html/javascript interface controls.  Now our user interface has always been our weak point.  Earlier this year we landed some major brick & mortar retail stores, but they insisted we had to give them a new, pretty, polished UI.  In the past year, we HAVE developed two new UI's, new mobile apps, and a ton of new features into the engine.  The new UI's have radically different workflow's and layouts, and we've put coders on the task of ensuring the existing html/js plugins still work.  But it's very challenging with a UI to move forward and also ensure backwards compatibility.  The API's, of course, are backwards compatible--it's the UI elements.  We've also added a lot more features to the Luup engine as well this past year, and an entirely new backend server infrastructure.  Our new server backend consists of 40 servers in 3 data centers in the US, Europe and Asia with redundancy and fail over.  But, only our OEM customers (ie those who rebrand the system and sell it with one of the new UI's) are on this system.  That's because those OEM customers are non techies.  They don't develop plugins or do any of the advanced stuff, so they're not concerned with backwards compatibility or advanced features.  However the MCV Vera users tend to be highly technical and passionate with lots of developers in the mix.  And, even when we have a new Ui that doesn't break compatibility, there can be a firestorm in the forums, but if we do break backwards compatibility the firestorm is merciless.  This is why you hear us discussing our UI6 and UI7, but the last release for Vera is still UI5.

So I fear the community has developed the wrong impression.  You guys seem to think we haven't been doing anything or that the business is shrinking.  Our team and our sales are actually about 4x bigger than when we released UI5.

Anyway, we have decide we can't keep stalling and leave the Vera community with UI5.  We have been having internal meetings specifically about this thread and have decided we have to push one of the new user experiences out this year no matter what, and we're going to put a lot of engineering resources to testing the plugins and figuring out how to make sure we don't break compatibility.

Remember, too, this developer community requires a lot more preparation.  For our OEM customers, for example, they only offer one set of mobile apps for the system.  So, it was easy to switch the new ones over to the new backend system.  But for Vera, there are a dozen 3rd party mobile app developers who developed against the old servers.  So in order to get a new release out, we have to synchronize efforts and work with them to get the apps upgraded to the new server API's at the same time.  We're going to work on that too.

Offline mikee123

« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2013, 12:36:08 pm »
This all makes a lot of sense to me. As much as i wouild love a new UI (and faster hardware), i would not want it without the functionality i have now. Without PLEG, or iphonelocator and other plugins, i see no point for me personally changing the UI. I will only upgrade once most of the plugins (or at least the most important ones) work. So i think Micasaverde are right in delaying rolling out a new UI to make sure as much as possible will work. And i rather have little communication on teh forum and more manpower in development, although i think it is great to see a lot more involvement from Micasaverde in the forum now, will their help and support it will be even better.
Just my opinion. And i thought we should give them some credit, at the end of the day its a great system, and they are obviously trying hard to improve it.

Offline gerardosamara

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2013, 01:19:28 pm »
Hello ,

I was wondering if some of the plugins have been intergrated in UI7 ( or another way to setup ) in order to avoid  the use of some plugins when the feature is now implemented in the Vera ..... specially in the scene management.
So a preview of the changes/improvements in UI7 would be nice before delivery.

VeraLite+VeraEdge/EnOcean version US en UI7.1.17 + Vera Mobile UI7 V7.15.17.40 + Imperihome pro V2.8.3
Wall switch : Leviton VRS15 , Smart switch : Aeotec DSC24 , Motion sensor : Aeotec 4in1 DSB05 + Everspring HSP02 , Cameras Dlink 742L + Foscam 8910 + Foscam 9853EP

Offline intveltr

• Beta Testers
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »
Remember, too, this developer community requires a lot more preparation.  For our OEM customers, for example, they only offer one set of mobile apps for the system.  So, it was easy to switch the new ones over to the new backend system.  But for Vera, there are a dozen 3rd party mobile app developers who developed against the old servers.  So in order to get a new release out, we have to synchronize efforts and work with them to get the apps upgraded to the new server API's at the same time.  We're going to work on that too.

That's good to know.  If we can expect something to appear this year, then it'd be good to get some of us testing plugins against a Beta version soon, and for us app developers to get documentation on the new gateway servers. :)
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »
It is nice to know MCV is making an effort now, they have been absent for nearly 2 years. What they are doing with OEMs is vapor until we get it, thus is not a viable excuse for the absence.

And, they don't seem to understand the Vera community is likely their most valuable asset considering ROI. Free dev and test they have not utilized at all. Synology, which I love, understands their community is highly valuable and releases beta OS and apps frequently... and they assist their community developers.

MCV has made zero effort to gain feedback/input for feature requests, ui changes, apps, etc... they are working in a bubble. Based on the current UI, I have no hope the new one will be any better as they clearly have no idea how home automation should work.  I've worked with about a dozen HA apps, and 4 protocols, over the past 15 years and MCV clearly did not do any research.

Apologies and promises do not hold water anymore.

UI 7 better be amazing to make up for the crap UI 5 is. But I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2