We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: CEDIA 2013 - MiCasaVerde changes name to Vera and suggest UI7  (Read 72891 times)

Offline chixxi

Re: CEDIA 2013 - MiCasaVerde changes name to Vera and suggest UI7
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2014, 01:03:37 am »
I think he most interessting part for me is not about geofencing, I already found a reliable solution. The most exciting part for me is the little hint from the video where he talks about "logic in sentences...". I really do hope they have something like PLEG implemented.

The only thing I am excited about the new UI is getting rid of these much to small "windows" for device and plugin settings.
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2014, 01:29:09 am »
I think he most interessting part for me is not about geofencing, I already found a reliable solution. The most exciting part for me is the little hint from the video where he talks about "logic in sentences...". I really do hope they have something like PLEG implemented.

The only thing I am excited about the new UI is getting rid of these much to small "windows" for device and plugin settings.

My guess is (anyone want to bet on this?) PLEG is far more robust (and complicated) than what UI7 will have natively. I just pray they don't break PLEG.
I suspect what that guys was trying to say (and doing so very poorly) was they will have a "natural language" style conditional logic structure. Which is basically If-Then-Else. No surprise, this is as simple as it gets, and is really HA 101... so, we should all start to consider UI7 as version 1 of an actual consumer ready product. But, congrats to you all... You've been unwittingly alpha and beta testing for years and by the end of 2014 they will be ready to release version 1.0! You did not know that UI5 was code for version '0.5'
Again, I'd be surprise of they do more... or even can. I doubt they have any coders that could hold a candle to Richard.

Offline LightsOn

« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2014, 06:08:31 am »
@chixxi

If you had a moment it would be great to hear about your geofencing solution in Aaron's new thread  :)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2014, 08:55:15 am »
@Aaron - I agree with you here. It sounded to me like they simply changed the present scene creation interface, which already is an If this Then that metaphor and made it a bit simpler to understand with natural language. This as opposed to the non-linear flow and confusing nature of scene creation with today's tabs for schedules, triggers, devices...

I anticipate no changes to the logic capabilities and no challenge to PLEG, certainly not in UI6 as demonstrated and possibly not in IU7. I think that Vera will still be incapable of an AND condition. The representative's description sounded like an interface change alone, to me. Basically, lipstick on a pig. But, I also think that the pig needs lipstick. The learning curve is currently too steep for the typical consumer. Creating a basic scene should be intuitive, but today it requires lengthy study and understanding of the scene concept and the Vera interface before it "clicks".

With that being said, I don't see an urgent need for native complex logic handling because we have it in PLEG. It doesn't matter so much to me where the functionality comes from, so long as it exists. I feel that PLEG's interface, like scene creation, is also non-intuitive but I can't tell @RichardTScaefer how to make it better. It's a complex matter and despite being able to see that it needs improvement, I have no idea how to improve it. Hopefully MCV's lipstick will lend some ideas for improving it.

Offline TC1

« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2014, 09:53:08 am »
I agree that PLEG is awesome... it's everything MCV should have done to begin with. But the problem is that it's not native to the Vera web interface experience, so I can't easily see at a top level what all my schedules are like in Scenes, or on remote devices when checking my Vera. MCV should just pay RichardT a large sum of money  and incorporate the logic engine into Vera  :)

Offline n0ir

« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2014, 09:58:21 am »
MCV should just pay RichardT a large sum of money  and incorporate the logic engine into Vera  :)

+1

However, as a beginner I would really also like some lipstick added to RichardTs pig... ;)

I think Fibaro have a great GUI on the HC2 and it is very intuitive. Would love for something like this on the Vera in UI7 (with the important AND option...).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:22:29 am by n0ir »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2014, 03:26:57 pm »
I think Fibaro have a great GUI on the HC2 and it is very intuitive. Would love for something like this on the Vera in UI7 (with the important AND option...).
Is there a video of hc2 doing something with a complex. ... Ors and ands ... Expression?

Anybody else have anything like the sequence expressions ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:29:26 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2014, 03:31:04 pm »
Drool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MqGDConbc

Scene creation starts a 7:41
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:32:37 pm by Z-Waver »

Offline Aaron

« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2014, 05:44:47 pm »
Fibaro scene creation (too bad the video quality is crap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texB6dJwKOc

Offline n0ir

« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »
I tried the HC2 some time ago (before I bought my Vera Lite) and I must say the scene creation was very slick... It was quite a challenge to start using the Veras more... nerdy interface. ;) I am by no means some luddite but I really think the GUI matters. I guess Micasaverde agrees based on what we have seen of UI7.

Offline TC1

« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »
Drool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4MqGDConbc

Scene creation starts a 7:41

Drool is right. A gorgeous interface and AND, OR, THEN support. The schedule, devices, settings all laid out in one window.

If they support plugins or extensions then I can't see people not wanting to migrate to this platform if they can keep it around $500 or less. I'm willing to pay more for a system that is actively updated and moved forward.

Offline n0ir

« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2014, 06:38:02 pm »
Drool is right. A gorgeous interface and AND, OR, THEN support. The schedule, devices, settings all laid out in one window.

If they support plugins or extensions then I can't see people not wanting to migrate to this platform if they can keep it around $500 or less. I'm willing to pay more for a system that is actively updated and moved forward.

HC2 support scripts but plugins would make it really, really attractive. The only reason why I went with the Vera is the plugin f?r the RFXtrx and support for 433 MHz devices (because I already had a system using this frequency).

I also really like Fibaros hardware. Very stylish. I think it is the "iOS" of smart home. A bit less intelligent but everything just works (and looks good when doing it). ;) Vera is the Linux and Android of the bunch. Very customizable and "techy", but really geeky.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2014, 06:40:07 pm »
From a discussion on MCV's private beta board, on UI design, January 2012...

For example, it appears they have compound conditional scenes and a thermostat schedule UI.

Perhaps MCV will get some inspiration. [...]

Still online: http://www.fibaro.com/us/the-fibaro-system/home-center-2 , Advanced Scenes at the bottom.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:46:06 pm by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline RexBeckett

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »
I setup an HC2 for a friend. The UI is pretty good and the graphical scene editor looks most impressive - until you try to use it for real-world scenarios where you need if/then/else and combinations of and/or. I ended-up using Lua code for almost every scene. It's certainly better than UI5 but it falls far short of PLEG's capabilities.  ;D

Offline S-F

• Clueless N00b
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2014, 09:26:24 pm »
Wow. A human readable log! What's that for? What a novelty! Not useful for me though since every time I want to know when the kitchen light was last on I happily trawl through my own weight in unix jargon in the Vera log.  ::)

If they can make the scene creation more robust and bring more devices under control Vera would quite literally have nothing on this. Well except for price. Maybe.

Does the HC2 have that feature that allows other random people to view your logs? That might be a feature that's unique to Vera also.
My forum account was apparently hacked by a leprechaun. And he's drunk all of the time. If a post of mine seems a little off kilter, it's probably because he made it.