Author Topic: Plugin - IPhone Locator  (Read 248487 times)

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Plugin - IPhone Locator
« Reply #930 on: May 11, 2017, 02:59:29 pm »
@amg0, the original discussion started with trying to understand the best Ping settings as I was in the midst of discovery of try to find the best presence detector. I first started off with the Ping plug-in but soon discovered that not all devices in particular iPhone's seems to fall asleep and does not always return a response reliability when pinged (as shown in my graph). I then developed a Bluetooth detector using a RPI3 that sent HTTPS commands to VERA to run prescribed scenes which work well providing that one's phone was within the 30 meter zone excluding any object interference (e.g. walls, floors ect..). So whilst in the Ping thread, @Don Phillips indicated that he was getting great responses whilst using iPhone Locator App where he provide DataMine 2 graph showing both connectivity and distance. Out of being uninformed ::) I questioned how and/or what did the iPhone locator app do to be able to achieving this feat? Mike

ok
IPhoneLocator relies on iPhone and iCloud behavior. regularly iPhone updates iCloud with the gps location of the iPhone and IPhonelocator polls the location from iCloud services on the web. the periodicity at which iPhone reports location remains a mistery but seems somehow linked to the periodicity at which IPhoneLocator polls iCloud. but it is not perfect. There is also the fact that if iPhone lose gps visiblity , apple use other mecanisms ( like internet access point ) to locate the device

Then the many plugin settings allow to customize to users specific pattern & situation. you chose between constant , or distance-based or arrival enroute time estimation based polling frequency.
Also the IPhonelocator can be put in Mute and then UnMuted ( which restart the location pollings ) when some other event happens ( like a main house door opens ) etc ...

Finally House modes are controled automatically

with lots of trial , experience, and user based custom situation, it usually works quite reliably

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #931 on: May 11, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
Very reliably, which is why I donated a few Euro's to the author. Thanks, amg0.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline MNB

« Reply #932 on: May 12, 2017, 07:57:03 pm »
Hey thanxs to both of you taking the time to explain. I've agree with both of you the iPhone Locator plug-in so far does the best job in regards to connectivity and providing phone distance measurements. As I made mention earlier I was fumbling (more like exploring/learning) to come up with a working/reliable presence device and learned a lot about RPI3 and LINUX commands/programming which is very similar as used on VERA, DataMine 2 and sending HTTPS commands to VERA via another device (RPI3) so.. It wasn't a total loss as I make mention on several of my posts "I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!".

I agree with Don, I too will make a donation to the author. Mike
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline delbz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #933 on: December 03, 2017, 02:13:59 am »
Awesome plugin. Thank you.

Is there anything you do with Vera Control to make the plugin work better on iOS?
It shows the debug switch as on (when it’s not??) and doesn’t display current address etc.
I have attached a screenshot. Hoping that will work as I’m typing this on an iPhone.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:17:20 am by delbz »

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #934 on: December 03, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
Awesome plugin. Thank you.

Is there anything you do with Vera Control to make the plugin work better on iOS?
It shows the debug switch as on (when it?s not??) and doesn?t display current address etc.
I have attached a screenshot. Hoping that will work as I?m typing this on an iPhone.

In fact the plugin features map,etc... are 100% on mobile if you use ALTUI so I did not bother with vera control and will probably not as I use ALTUI on all my mobile devices

Offline Crismaison

« Reply #935 on: December 28, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
I just moved to UI7. When I am entering my Icloud password it removes a letter after saving.
Is there a maxium on the length? my password is 15 long.
Vera lite - Everspring smoke & flood detectors - Fibaro doorsensors - 2 Foscams - Greenwave 6 node smartplug - Several Switches -Netatmo - PLEG - Twilio - DropBoxuploader - FindmyIphone user

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #936 on: December 28, 2017, 12:22:43 pm »
I just moved to UI7. When I am entering my Icloud password it removes a letter after saving.
Is there a maxium on the length? my password is 15 long.
Might be. A special char or a quote or a Lua regular expression special character ?

Offline Crismaison

« Reply #937 on: December 28, 2017, 12:46:17 pm »
no, 14 normal characters and one number. It removes the 5th character. No clue why.

FIXED: after several attemps it started working
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:43:40 pm by Crismaison »
Vera lite - Everspring smoke & flood detectors - Fibaro doorsensors - 2 Foscams - Greenwave 6 node smartplug - Several Switches -Netatmo - PLEG - Twilio - DropBoxuploader - FindmyIphone user

Offline KhMerA

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #938 on: January 16, 2018, 01:39:27 pm »
I recently having problem with my iPhone locator, I cannot save it after setting up icloud. Does anyone familiar with this problem?

Offline Jakadia

« Reply #939 on: January 17, 2018, 12:56:29 pm »
I am having the same exact problem!

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #940 on: January 17, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »
What version are you using ?

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #941 on: January 18, 2018, 04:49:28 pm »

can you try this beta version 244. potentially it solves a save problem. let me know

Offline Arjo

« Reply #942 on: January 21, 2018, 02:59:15 pm »
It solved my save problem. Thank you.

Offline Bobhaskils

« Reply #943 on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:04 am »

can you try this beta version 244. potentially it solves a save problem. let me know

Having the same issue - very frustrating!
Were do you apply this file / what do you do with it once downloaded?
Thanks.

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #944 on: January 26, 2018, 12:17:33 pm »

Having the same issue - very frustrating!
Were do you apply this file / what do you do with it once downloaded?
Thanks.

here is an easier way.
just open this url in your browser,  then ignore any error message and wait for your vera to download & reload luup a couple of time. then IPhoneLocator should be updated

http://<yourip>:3480/data_request?id=action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=CreatePlugin&PluginNum=4686&Version=35321