We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Nest Protect (Smoke/CO detector)... Who will be the first to develop a plug-in?  (Read 36977 times)

Offline chuck1026

I just pre-ordered 3 for my home and hope there will be a plug-in to tie them into Vera similar to Nest.

Anyone else get this linky?

https://store.nest.com/product/smoke-co-alarm/?utm_campaign=protect-preorder-customer&utm_source=registriaemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=preorder
UI7 / VeraPlus.... YAY, more stable than ever!

Offline watou

I just pre-ordered 3 for my home and hope there will be a plug-in to tie them into Vera similar to Nest.

Anyone else get this linky?

https://store.nest.com/product/smoke-co-alarm/?utm_campaign=protect-preorder-customer&utm_source=registriaemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=preorder

I plan on getting one and extending the Nest plugin to support it.  I would assume that the upcoming official API will support it, but I hope to integrate it into the plugin (creating new sensor and security child devices) one way or another!

watou

Offline charettepa

same here
ordered hardwired model
if i understand correctly it will comunicate directly with nest tstat as well as the web component

so we should only need an updated nest app for mcv that can read that data from the tstat

the additional heat/humidity/motion/light sensors as well as of course smoke/co would be great
as these things will double as all in one multi sensors

Offline charettepa

@watou

excelent

you just "hopefully" confirmed what i was hoping for
we of course wont know for sure until we receive the hardware
but good to know i was thinking in the right direction

Offline watou

@watou

excelent

Good!  I am proceeding with the uncertain assumption that it uses the same web services infrastructure as the thermostat, which ought to mean that it will present sensor information in a similar way so I can just add new device types.  There is another thread about trying to standardise how Vera sees various kinds of sensor input (like barometric pressure, air quality, etc.) and that work would likely apply to extending the Nest plugin.

The Nest Protect seems like a very well thought-out gadget and I'm looking forward to getting one!  It will even shut down your gas furnace through your Nest thermostat if the Protect senses carbon monoxide.  Very clever, and might even save lives.

watou

Offline charettepa

So very happy to hear this

if you should start a new thread or post about this elsewhere
could you please link from here
as i will be monitoring this thread

Offline chuck1026

@watou

excelent

Good!  I am proceeding with the uncertain assumption that it uses the same web services infrastructure as the thermostat, which ought to mean that it will present sensor information in a similar way so I can just add new device types.  There is another thread about trying to standardise how Vera sees various kinds of sensor input (like barometric pressure, air quality, etc.) and that work would likely apply to extending the Nest plugin.

The Nest Protect seems like a very well thought-out gadget and I'm looking forward to getting one!  It will even shut down your gas furnace through your Nest thermostat if the Protect senses carbon monoxide.  Very clever, and might even save lives.

watou

AWESOME!!! I hope this works out. My existing detectors are beyond dusty old so Nest Protect is a long overdue upgrade.

Offline chuck1026

Hey watou!!! I bet you are signed up but just in case... go to this linky http://nest.com/developer/

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
If you look at the other discussion about the developer sign up, you would have seen that he is signed up. ;-)

- Garrett

Offline charettepa

what discussion?
can you give us a link to that thread

Offline SOlivas

Vera 3 (1.5.622) / 9x GE/Jasco 45609 / 2x GE/Jasco 45612 / 2x GE/Jasco 45614 / 1x MIMO Lite
1x Twine (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,15617.0.html), DSC Security System, Honeywell  YTH8320ZW1007 Thermostat, 1x Fortrezz WWA-01, 1x CA9000 Wireless PIR Sensor

Offline capjay

I plan on getting one and extending the Nest plugin to support it.  I would assume that the upcoming official API will support it, but I hope to integrate it into the plugin (creating new sensor and security child devices) one way or another!

if you do that, please make sure it works for those of us who don't have the Nest thermostat  :)

Offline chuck1026

If you look at the other discussion about the developer sign up, you would have seen that he is signed up. ;-)

- Garrett

Wow, missed that one! I did figure watou was on top of it. Regardless this is great news :)

Offline silencery

@watou

excelent

watou

Got a home depot gift card for the holidays and just picked up a Nest Protect.  Pretty nifty so far, but definitely needs vera integration. If the motion sensor is exposed through the API, that would be awesome. I volunteer to test if the opportunity comes up :)

*wink wink*

Offline knewmania

Got my Nest Protect today. It's very elegant in its design, and well thought out similar to the Nest Thermostat.

One thing that I find odd is that it will not connect to a wifi network if the SSID is hidden. This appears to be by design as the setup instructions include this as a caveat. Hopefully they change this in a future update.

I'm happy with it so far, and looking forward to testing out future Vera integration.
Vera 2. UI 1.5.622 / Vera 3. UI 1.7.760